[0.23]asmi's ECLSS Mod (current version - 1.0.15) - Life Support Mod

asmi

Thanks @Paul for those retweaking and settings! They work really well!

To @asmi, would it be possible to make oxygen and candles in the command modules tweakable from the editor? I'm running with Mission Control Extended and oxygen costs money, so to do suborbital flights it would be nice to be able to reduce the oxygen they bring with them and similar things.

Never mind, Paul's update fixed it.

A couple suggestions/requests:

Could ECLSS be made to work on non-command pods?

Is there a way for ECLSS resources to be used in modular/RF tanks?

Hi there,

For those of you that are playing with kethane: I made this simple config file to add oxygen production to the kethane converters. I think it makes sense, because the converters can already produce Oxidizer, and Oxidizer, as far as I understand, is just liquid Oxygen. So I also used the same conversion values as for Oxidizer. If anyone has better idea, let me know (maybe oxygen conversion should use less electric charge, because it does not have to be liquified?).

To use it, create a text file called for example Kethane.cfg in your GameData/LifeSupport folder and paste this in it:

// Adds kethane-to-oxygen conversion capability to the kethane converters.
//
// The values are the same as for oxidizer, because oxidizer is just liquid
// oxygen.

@PART[kethane_1m_converter]
{

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.75
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
Oxygen = 1.01
}
}

}

@PART[kethane_2m_converter]
{

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
HeatProduction = 800
InputRates
{
Kethane = 8.25
ElectricCharge = 8
}
OutputRatios
{
Oxygen = 0.99
}
}

}

That looks awesome! I hate to ask for an ETA but when do you think it will be released? :)

I can't honestly tell since we're redesigning GUI to make it more useful while taking less screen estate. On top of that things are really crazy at work so I can only put more-or-less solid development time over the weekends...

EDIT: I looked a bit more at the screenshot and I think you spelled "portable" wrong. You forgot the r. :D

No I didn't Potable Water means water that is safe to drink. Kerbals drink potable water and produce water, so in order to be used again it need to be purified.

There are many new features in that release - for example, now kerbals consume resources independently and information is stored along with them, so even when kerbal moves from one vessel to another, it doesn't consume resources until he's hungry/thirsty - note these bars on top of kerbal's portraits - they show how soon he(she) will be need to have a meal/drink.

I can't honestly tell since we're redesigning GUI to make it more useful while taking less screen estate. On top of that things are really crazy at work so I can only put more-or-less solid development time over the weekends...

No I didn't Potable Water means water that is safe to drink. Kerbals drink potable water and produce water, so in order to be used again it need to be purified.

There are many new features in that release - for example, now kerbals consume resources independently and information is stored along with them, so even when kerbal moves from one vessel to another, it doesn't consume resources until he's hungry/thirsty.

Oh so thats what it is. Ok sounds good :)

This is personally my favorite life support mod. I love the models and I really like that you don't need oxygen and all that inside a breathable atmosphere. I know that the new update will probably need food and water in kerbin but thats just even better. The new GUI looks great and has a great layout, the timers and bars above the kerbal looks really good too. I can't wait for the update Asmi! :D

Hi there,

For those of you that are playing with kethane: I made this simple config file to add oxygen production to the kethane converters. I think it makes sense, because the converters can already produce Oxidizer, and Oxidizer, as far as I understand, is just liquid Oxygen. So I also used the same conversion values as for Oxidizer. If anyone has better idea, let me know (maybe oxygen conversion should use less electric charge, because it does not have to be liquified?).

To use it, create a text file called for example Kethane.cfg in your GameData/LifeSupport folder and paste this in it:

// Adds kethane-to-oxygen conversion capability to the kethane converters.
//
// The values are the same as for oxidizer, because oxidizer is just liquid
// oxygen.

@PART[kethane_1m_converter]
{

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
InputRates
{
Kethane = 2.75
ElectricCharge = 6
}
OutputRatios
{
Oxygen = 1.01
}
}

}

@PART[kethane_2m_converter]
{

MODULE
{
name = KethaneConverter
HeatProduction = 800
InputRates
{
Kethane = 8.25
ElectricCharge = 8
}
OutputRatios
{
Oxygen = 0.99
}
}

}

Nice! I really like the idea! It could potentially make kethane production really important in permanent settlements. I wonder how it's balanced though, could potentially make O2 scrubbers less useful (except for those long interplanetary trips). But hey, let's try and see!

That UI looks amazing! I hope it's possible to hide it though (at least the one at the top of the screen). I'm very much a minimalist when it comes to UI and like to hide stuff that I don't need to see all the time. Still, even if I can't that's probably one of the cleanest and smallest UI's out there so I'll live :).

Regarding "Potable Water", maybe you should call it "Fresh Water" and "Waste Water" to keep it simple and clear to understand? Especially for non-english speakers.

Regarding "Potable Water", maybe you should call it "Fresh Water" and "Waste Water" to keep it simple and clear to understand? Especially for non-english speakers.

First off, it would be 'drinking water', 'fresh water' does not necessarily imply it is safe to drink. That's a byproduct of marketing teaching you to associate 'fresh' with 'good'. Also potable is a common word in SEVERAL languages including French, Spanish and Italian. There's a good chance non-native speakers are highly intelligent people too, and can figure this out. So instead focus on the positive! You didn't know an entirely commonplace and well-known word used in many countries around the world (many non-English speaking ones), and now you do! You learned something today! It's a little embarrassing to make a comment like that, but that doesn't mean no one else should ever have to suffer the humiliation of knowing a new word. That's a good thing too, you'll be safe when you see this (hint, you are allowed to take it with you):

Non-Potable-Water-sign-500x500.jpg

Edited by Hyomoto

I really hate asking this again, but can we get a fix for the disappearing monopropellant on EVA? As of right now, I have to remember how much monoprop I have before the EVA, and then edit the persistent afterwards to restore the amount that was magically lost.

First off, it would be 'drinking water', 'fresh water' does not necessarily imply it is safe to drink. That's a byproduct of marketing teaching you to associate 'fresh' with 'good'. Also potable is a common word in SEVERAL languages including French, Spanish and Italian. There's a good chance non-native speakers are highly intelligent people too, and can figure this out. So instead focus on the positive! You didn't know an entirely commonplace and well-known word used in many countries around the world (many non-English speaking ones), and now you do! You learned something today! It's a little embarrassing to make a comment like that, but that doesn't mean no one else should ever have to suffer the humiliation of knowing a new word. That's a good thing too, you'll be safe when you see this (hint, you are allowed to take it with you):

Now you are embarrassing yourself!

First of all, the fact that "fresh" is a product of marketing to make us think it's "good" is EXACTLY why it's an easy to understand word and why it could potentially be more appropriate to use than potable. I don't care that "fresh water" isn't technically speaking the same as potable water, but I do believe that more people would understand what you meant if you said "fresh water", than if you said potable water.

Second, I know that potable is a common word, I know Spanish myself and it's a much more common word there. But in english it's far less used. You're more likely to see signs saying "Drinking water" than you are to see those that say "Potable water", at least in my experience (I live in the UK for the past 5 years).

Third, where did you get the fact that I DIDN'T know what potable meant? I was merely giving a suggestion from the fact that someone earlier in the thread misunderstood the word potable over the word "portable".

And finally, why in the world would it be embarrassing to not know a word? Especially if it's a language that isn't your mother tongue?

I understand that your post meant to be in friendly spirit, but you're coming off rather patronising I'm afraid. I was merely giving a suggestion in the spirit of clarity, which is always important when designing new products.

Oh and here's a sign I found! ;)

Fresh-Drinking-Water-Sign-K-5355.gif

Why would we bring along non-potable water anyway? Can it not just be called "Water" and we'll all assume it's safe for drinking. (Do we even know if the Kerbal physiology is susceptible to water-borne microbes/viruses?)

Well, we won't launch with non-potable water, obviously, but it's gonna accumulate over time. Waste water on ISS can't be purified into drinking water, only into clean, but non-potable water. It's mostly used for showers and oxygen generators.

<snip>

You could not have picked a better sign to point out why I think potable should be used. It's not just 'drinking water', it's fresh drinking water! But since it may be a bit silly to assume 'drinking' suggests its okay for consumption, (potable suggesting much the same) I'd suggest an alternate! (and yes, I'm just being silly at this point)

sign_zps6d50dcfb.jpg~original