Secret planetary/interplanetary missions

In the spirit of doing MORE stuff once you get to your actual destination, I thought about what would be an actual incentive to exploring the entire planet other than a few different dirt or water samples. Now I understand the devs said no aliens will make it into the 1.00 release, but what about remains and traces of an Alien culture?

Let's take Dune for example, it could have some easily visible ground feature, an unusual crater of sorts, or a giant arch or something similar, so you attempt to land close by out of curiosity. Upon further exploration, you uncover wall writings (in caves, or out of them, no matter) in a language that would require decrypting. Upon decrypting, it would give you clues as to where the next not so obvious site would be, whether it be on the same planet (If the puzzle is for that planet only), or maybe some completely different planet in the system, ending up on a final planet, even a planet that would otherwise not even be visible on your map until you uncovered all the data about its location, with big remains of an alien civilization.

The reward for completing such a puzzle could be, other than bigger than usual amount of science points, a secret branch in the tech tree otherwise not unlock-able by any means (such as often mentioning light speed engines for possible future multiple star systems)

This is brainstorming of course, it would require a lot of planning, but it would take the term exploration to whole new levels. Having just 1 of puzzles like these with 5+ sites would add so much to the gameplay, that I can't imagine how awesome it would be to have more.

Thoughts?

So, regarding traces of alien civilization [spoiler ALERT] --> Like the face or the SSTV signal on Duna, or the monoliths and arches, or Joolian moon stonehenge?

To other points, they are planning a discovery mechanism for other planets, but I'm not sure I want a secret puzzle for a secret place. I want to use SCIENCE to find new places.

So, regarding traces of alien civilization [spoiler ALERT] --> Like the face or the SSTV signal on Duna, or the monoliths and arches, or Joolian moon stonehenge?

To other points, they are planning a discovery mechanism for other planets, but I'm not sure I want a secret puzzle for a secret place. I want to use SCIENCE to find new places.

Yes, that's precisely the kind of thing I was aiming at. Could have places where you could predict clues with shadows the sun makes, etc.

Well I agree on that, but Aliens could have had centuries more advanced technology, so they could find things we could never.

Still, I'm glad the discovery system is being planned.

Edited by Unfawkable

I don't think this really fits the game

I guess that's subjective. But wouldn't it be awesome to read decrypted science reports in Kerbalish, so you'd actually have to decrypt it twice to understand it? :P

Edit: OK, on second thought that would be overdoing it, especially since not many people would know that Kerbalish is reversed Spanish. And parts descriptions are in English as it is anyway, so...

Edited by Unfawkable

If by "alien culture" you mean "collectible easter eggs that serve no purpose other than providing bragging rights", I'm all for it. But if it's literally alien culture that somehow get weaved into the lore of the game... no.

It might be more lore-friendly if the story goes that the current Kerbal population is a remnant of a once mighty Kerbal Empire which ruled all of the Kerbol System, and they left marks on all the celestial bodies in it. But a mysterious disaster wiped them all, save for a small population of astronauts and rocket engineers on Kerbin. Slowly they start to rebuild society, albeit a fraction of what it used to be, and started to investigate the cause of the disaster told in ancient tales from generations ago. You get clues as how this mysterious event happened as you gain science and discover artifacts on planets and moons, each giving you a better understanding of the long gone Kerbal Empire.

If by "alien culture" you mean "collectible easter eggs that serve no purpose other than providing bragging rights", I'm all for it. But if it's literally alien culture that somehow get weaved into the lore of the game... no.

It might be more lore-friendly if the story goes that the current Kerbal population is a remnant of a once mighty Kerbal Empire which ruled all of the Kerbol System, and they left marks on all the celestial bodies in it. But a mysterious disaster wiped them all, save for a small population of astronauts and rocket engineers on Kerbin. Slowly they start to rebuild society, albeit a fraction of what it used to be, and started to investigate the cause of the disaster told in ancient tales from generations ago. You get clues as how this mysterious event happened as you gain science and discover artifacts on planets and moons, each giving you a better understanding of the long gone Kerbal Empire.

The second one occured to me as well, but I'm for either of those actually, I don't mind other aliens. And no, not to serve no other purpose, science points are a purpose. And new techs maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

Howabout remnants of an ancient Kerbal space program that modern Kerbals don't know very much about?

I do agree with keeping "aliens" out of the game, however. The sci-fi convention is to put alien species from multiple/many planets all throughout space. But in reality space is probably mostly devoid of civilizations. Therefore it is neat that Squad wishes to break convention and present an entirely fascinating stellar system that only has one life-bearing world, that has never been visited by another civilization. After all, the point of the game seems to be that there don't need to be aliens and warp drive to make space travel fun and exciting.

Edited by thereaverofdarkness

Howabout remnants of an ancient Kerbal space program that modern Kerbals don't know very much about?

I do agree with keeping "aliens" out of the game, however. The sci-fi convention is to put alien species from multiple/many planets all throughout space. But in reality space is probably mostly devoid of civilizations. Therefore it is neat that Squad wishes to break convention and present an entirely fascinating stellar system that only has one life-bearing world, that has never been visited by another civilization. After all, the point of the game seems to be that there don't need to be aliens and warp drive to make space travel fun and exciting.

Let's just agree to disagree since I think aliens are always awesome :D

And devoid of civilizations? How so? I remember some fancy scientists equation calculating that there should be around 3000 civilizations in the milky way galaxy alone. Even a tenth of that would be mind blowing.

Umm, there a bunch of easter eggs already. And already a trace of a sort of advanced culture, SSTV from hill on Duna. And maybe eventually add a bunch of secret planets, wait, what if there ARE SECRET PLANETS? Just really far away from Kerbol.

Umm, whose to say space is devoid. Sure on the small scale of one star system, but that is biased to think about our way of life. So, maybe methane breathing creatures out there that combust methane in their systems because what they eat has oxygen. Say for ever 100 million stars there is one with intelligent life, do you know how MANY STARS THERE ARE!

I would be really interested in a sort of space archaeology where you could discover forgotten structures and unearth clues about some lost civilisation. I don't really mind whether it turns out to be ancient Kerbals or a different race. We're never going to meet them, so it doesn't matter. I also like the idea of the various artefacts forming a sort of treasure hunt, with one artefact hinting at the location of the next. But I'd worry about the potential for spoilers if it was a fixed, deterministic system. Perhaps the locations could be semi randomised.

And devoid of civilizations? How so? I remember some fancy scientists equation calculating that there should be around 3000 civilizations in the milky way galaxy alone. Even a tenth of that would be mind blowing.

That is pretty devoid. The Drake Equation is just a guestimate, we have no data on a lot of the variables, but even if there were 3000 civilisations currently in the Milky Way that would mean one civilisation per 100 million(ish) stars. Even if interstellar flight became practical at a high enough tech level (and there's no guarantee that it does) the chances of any of them ever bumping into each other would be very small. Hence the Fermi Paradox. Space is just unbelievably big.

As for aliens in KSP, the devs have been pretty clear: there won't be any. I'd take that to mean there won't be alien artifacts either unless you hear otherwise.

Umm, there a bunch of easter eggs already. And already a trace of a sort of advanced culture, SSTV from hill on Duna. And maybe eventually add a bunch of secret planets, wait, what if there ARE SECRET PLANETS? Just really far away from Kerbol.

Oh I know there are, haven't found any myself yet, but I know there are a few. They still don't actually do anything, it's not an actual rewarding puzzle, it's just there. What I'm suggesting is making it more complex and awesome, instead of just something you'd bump in once in a lifetime by accident.

I would be really interested in a sort of space archaeology where you could discover forgotten structures and unearth clues about some lost civilisation. I don't really mind whether it turns out to be ancient Kerbals or a different race. We're never going to meet them, so it doesn't matter. I also like the idea of the various artefacts forming a sort of treasure hunt, with one artefact hinting at the location of the next. But I'd worry about the potential for spoilers if it was a fixed, deterministic system. Perhaps the locations could be semi randomised.

Like so.

Umm, whose to say space is devoid. Sure on the small scale of one star system, but that is biased to think about our way of life. So, maybe methane breathing creatures out there that combust methane in their systems because what they eat has oxygen. Say for ever 100 million stars there is one with intelligent life, do you know how MANY STARS THERE ARE!
That is pretty devoid. The Drake Equation is just a guestimate, we have no data on a lot of the variables, but even if there were 3000 civilisations currently in the Milky Way that would mean one civilisation per 100 million(ish) stars. Even if interstellar flight became practical at a high enough tech level (and there's no guarantee that it does) the chances of any of them ever bumping into each other would be very small. Hence the Fermi Paradox. Space is just unbelievably big.

As for aliens in KSP, the devs have been pretty clear: there won't be any. I'd take that to mean there won't be alien artifacts either unless you hear otherwise.

Well, let's assume that if we CAN travel to a distant location, we can also scan or contact via a galaxy-wide phone first, to confirm our neighbor's address :P

Plot twist: The Kerbals discover that they came from Duna originally, that they destroyed it and that they fled to Kerbin, which they are now in the process of destroying.

With massive pollution from all the rocket fuel burning and explosions of failed launches, and resource planet draining for the space program... Kerbals are monsters.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.