[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Sorry if I didn't search it well enough , but

http://i.imgur.com/PU5kr7N.png

Is that okay?

Original cloud texture 49MB , .imgcache 87MB

Tryed deleting cache / reinstalling mod = all the same. Takes over an hour to recompress it all , most time on theese textures.

Clouds are from Astronomer's pack.

Same with all textures in this folder.

UPD: Not sure if that's okay , but if I disable ATM work on that folder I'm getting massive ram usage. And without theese textures at all it's -700mb ram usage.

Edited by DartBoris

@DartBoris, you must consider that many image files are heavily compressed, even when they're huge.(some not standard pngs) Also, adding mipmaps adds quite an amount and takes longer to convert. I like turning off mipmapping for some textures, like the skybox and the city lights. I like the sparkles.

edit:

Is there a config for EVE I didn't see one in the configs list.

yes, the BoulderCo.cfg

Edited by ximrm

@DartBoris, you must consider that many image files are heavily compressed, even when they're huge.(some not standard pngs) Also, adding mipmaps adds quite an amount and takes longer to convert. I like turning off mipmapping for some textures, like the skybox and the city lights. I like the sparkles.

edit:

yes, the BoulderCo.cfg

Thank you, I found it. :wink:

I must say I booted the pre-release... and damn! crunching down images... al though I'm trying to get my few mod to run x86. I'm tired of x64 instability. (note: on my GF's machine while I rebuild mine. So Linux is not an option at the moment. note: I built my GF's machine. :sticktongue:)

Edited by Eskandare

Version 4-3 Aggressive for 32-bit KSP

RBray, If this is not allowed (the licence seem to indicate it was) let me know and I will remove the link.

Thank you, and apologies to RBray if this infringes on the license.

This is totally OK. Not sure why Github isn't accessible in India though.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like it was lifted yesterday: http://thenextweb.com/in/2015/01/02/india-lifts-blocks-github-vimeo-dailymotion-weebly-others-remain-banned/ :)

I bet you thought you had 4GB of memory which Windows could use for 32 bit. You were wrong. It seems Windows naturally takes half of addressable memory for itself.

On 32-bit editions of Windows, applications have 4 gigabyte (GB) of virtual address space available. The virtual address space is divided so that 2 GB is available to the application and the other 2 GB is available only to the system.

I'm pretty sure this is why ATM is crashing with the "too many heap sections" for some of us using 32 bit ATM Aggressive, even with the WAIT=TRUE option in the ATM config. It's pretty easy to tune how much memory Windows grabs though.

1. [*=3]Open a command prompt as administrator*
    [*=3]Enter 'bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072'
    [*=3]Restart

This basically tells Windows to increase the virtual address space available to applications to 3GB. It's worked for me -- no more crashes on load with ATM Aggressive. In fact, I am on a 2GB 32 bit Windows Vista Business machine and am running KSP 0.90 + FAR + DRE + RealChute + Mechjeb at half-res textures beautifully ever since I did this a few days ago. Yes, you read that right -- I only have 2GB on this machine, and I'm running KSP 0.90 plus those four mods. I hope to get Procedural Fairings in there too, but I haven't tested that yet.

Now if I could just solve the fuzzy icons problem with half-res textures and ATM. No matter what I try for configs it doesn't seem to help. Anyway, I hope this helps the handful of you who are experiencing the "too many heap sections" crash too.

Note: I am also using '-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded -popupwindow' when I start KSP.

*If you don't know how to do this, go to your start menu --> All Programs --> Accessories, right click on 'Command Prompt' and choose 'Run as administrator'.

Hello guys, I think I might need some help here. I've just started getting memory crashes and would like to know if my amount of mods is insane...or if I could make it work

KSP 0.90 x32

List of mods

Achievements

Advanced Animator

Better Atmosphere (low quality)

BoxSat

CactEye 2

Chatterer

Coherent Contracts

Contract Window

Crew Manifest

Communitu Resourse Pack

DangIt

Deadly Reentry

Distant Objects Enhancement

DMagic Orbital Science

Docking Port Alignment

Environmental Visual Enhancements

FASA

Ferram Aerospace Research

Final Frontier

Freight Transport Technologies

Karbonite

Kerbal Attachment System

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Kerbal Construction Time

Kerbal Engineer Redux

Karbonite Plus

Science Alert

MechJeb

Modulat Kolonization System

ADEPT

NovaPunch

Procedural Fairings

Raster Prop Monitor

Regolith

Remote Tech

Real Chute

ScanSat

Science Alert

Sounding Rockets

Stage Recovery

TACLS

ToolBar

Trajectories

Transfer Window Planner

TweakScale

Universal Storage Core +KAS+TAC

USITools

ATM Aggresive x86

Pc Specs

Windows 8.1 x64

Intel I7 [email protected]

RAM 16GB

GPU Radeon HD 7970 3GB

Edited by arachnidan

Hello guys, I think I might need some help here. I've just started getting memory crashes and would like to know if my amount of mods is insane...or if I could make it work

KSP 0.90 x32

List of mods

Achievements

Advanced Animator

Better Atmosphere (low quality)

BoxSat

CactEye 2

Chatterer

Coherent Contracts

Contract Window

Crew Manifest

Communitu Resourse Pack

DangIt

Deadly Reentry

Distant Objects Enhancement

DMagic Orbital Science

Docking Port Alignment

Environmental Visual Enhancements

FASA

Ferram Aerospace Research

Final Frontier

Freight Transport Technologies

Karbonite

Kerbal Attachment System

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Kerbal Construction Time

Kerbal Engineer Redux

Karbonite Plus

Science Alert

MechJeb

Modulat Kolonization System

ADEPT

NovaPunch

Procedural Fairings

Raster Prop Monitor

Regolith

Remote Tech

Real Chute

ScanSat

Science Alert

Sounding Rockets

Stage Recovery

TACLS

ToolBar

Trajectories

Transfer Window Planner

TweakScale

Universal Storage Core +KAS+TAC

USITools

ATM Aggresive x86

Pc Specs

Windows 8.1 x64

Intel I7 [email protected]

RAM 16GB

GPU Radeon HD 7970 3GB

What's your RAM usage on loading to the main screen?

When are you getting the crashes? (IE: after playing for 15 minutes, 20 minutes, when trying to load into the game, ect)

If you're able to get into the game and you only run out of RAM after playing a certain amount of time, then you might be out of luck for now. I've been talking around and it seems there are 2 possible scenarios.

1) a mod (or mods) is causing a memory leak which increases with each scene change (especially when going to and from the VAB/SPH).

2) KSP itself has a memory leak or really weird garbage collection.

Mods (and a lot of them) then exacerbate the issue causing a buildup in RAM usage and eventually a crash.

I'm really hoping its scenario 1, however I have yet to do enough testing to say for sure one way or the other.

What's your RAM usage on loading to the main screen?

When are you getting the crashes? (IE: after playing for 15 minutes, 20 minutes, when trying to load into the game, ect)

If you're able to get into the game and you only run out of RAM after playing a certain amount of time, then you might be out of luck for now. I've been talking around and it seems there are 2 possible scenarios.

1) a mod (or mods) is causing a memory leak which increases with each scene change (especially when going to and from the VAB/SPH).

2) KSP itself has a memory leak or really weird garbage collection.

Mods (and a lot of them) then exacerbate the issue causing a buildup in RAM usage and eventually a crash.

I'm really hoping its scenario 1, however I have yet to do enough testing to say for sure one way or the other.

Where do I find RAM usage on loading?

Most -if not all- the crashes come from returning to VAB, and always after some time into the game. Can't tell for sure, but I guess over 20 minutes. My KSP.log was started at 15:15 and ends at 15:42, if that helps anyhow.

Thanks in advance for the help

I am running 80 mods with ATM Aggressive and Opengl with all the textures on max and i am sitting on 2.7gig it will crash after several hours but its very playable and doesnt cause me much grief

I will try this now. Thanks for the info

Where do I find RAM usage on loading?

Most -if not all- the crashes come from returning to VAB, and always after some time into the game. Can't tell for sure, but I guess over 20 minutes. My KSP.log was started at 15:15 and ends at 15:42, if that helps anyhow.

Thanks in advance for the help

I will try this now. Thanks for the info

Window's has a program called Resource Monitor that will show you how much ram a program is using. That is what I use.

It sounds like you are running into the same problem as me (the memory leak). Whether it comes from KSP or a mod I do not know. Hopefully I can do some more testing on the matter at some point.

Window's has a program called Resource Monitor that will show you how much ram a program is using. That is what I use.

It sounds like you are running into the same problem as me (the memory leak). Whether it comes from KSP or a mod I do not know. Hopefully I can do some more testing on the matter at some point.

Okay, according to resource monitor it uses 5.5gb, it's steady and increases to 5.8gb towards the end. CPU usage @ 17~22%

Now I have tested (and will continue to) the opengl command and I have to say it really works. The crashes stopped (yet i have to keep testing) I also added some big mods and no crashes reported (b9, kw rocketry)

When I loaded my saved career the game was a bit laggy, but solved it by disabling anti-aliasing (was '2x') and v sync (was 'every vblank') Render Quality is 'fantastic' and texture is at full res.

If I run into more crashes I will let you know. And I will still follow this thread.

Okay, hope this helped someone else too =3

Kudos and cookies for everyone!

Hi. I've been trying to get my 32 bit KSP working with mods but have not been able too for the life of me! ATM Aggressive with not too many mods but I'm using texture replacer and visual enhancements with this: http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/220335-astronomers-visual-pack-interstellar-v2 But for some reason the textures on Kerbin are white and red! LOL it looked like Kerbin was a giant pool ball! Anyways just curious if anyone has experienced this because all I can use is 64 bit which is ok but I cannot record knowing I could crash at any time.

Edited by Eddie Rod

Okay, according to resource monitor it uses 5.5gb, it's steady and increases to 5.8gb towards the end. CPU usage @ 17~22%...

Looks like you're sorted so this doesn't really matter but ...

That 5.5gb would be your total system usage, not KSP - 32-bit KSP, being 32-bit, can't even theoretically use more than 4gb.

That 5.5gb would be your total system usage, not KSP - 32-bit KSP, being 32-bit, can't even theoretically use more than 4gb.

Unless they're mistaken and launching 64-bit instead of 32-bit. That would explain the crashes because, well, 64-bit.

Hey rBray, this is a really stupid question...but does ATM work with OpenGL?

I only ask this because I've been trying to debug my install today and I noticed something quite peculiar. Using ATM 4-3 Aggressive, when loading to the main menu I am actually using MORE RAM than without ATM (mind you it's a very small difference). This is on a completely fresh stock install.

OpenGL only = ~1053

OpenGL + ATM = ~1163

Unless they're mistaken and launching 64-bit instead of 32-bit. That would explain the crashes because, well, 64-bit.

Yes, you are totally right. It was dumb of me to look at total usage. ATM+OpenGL 2.2Gb at the end of the loading. And no, I would trully love to use 64bit but I don't touch 64b since... 24.something.

Hey rBray, this is a really stupid question...but does ATM work with OpenGL?

I only ask this because I've been trying to debug my install today and I noticed something quite peculiar. Using ATM 4-3 Aggressive, when loading to the main menu I am actually using MORE RAM than without ATM (mind you it's a very small difference). This is on a completely fresh stock install.

OpenGL only = ~1053

OpenGL + ATM = ~1163

Since I'm totally new to this I can't be sure, but my ksp did stop crashing using opengl. No idea on the RAM usage though.

How much memory should one actually expect to free up if using the forced OpenGL?

It looks like it does not work at all for me for some weird reason.

How much memory should the basic and aggressive packs normally save on the vanilla game after installation?

The game seems to have a memory problem of some sort which is especially apparent in the latest version where it just accumulates the memory quite rapidly over time.

Is it plausible that some continuous background errors use so much memory that the game will crash a few minutes after causing the error?

How much memory should one actually expect to free up if using the forced OpenGL?

How much memory should the basic and aggressive packs normally save on the vanilla game after installation?

The game seems to have a memory problem of some sort which is especially apparent in the latest version where it just accumulates the memory quite rapidly over time.

Is it plausible that some continuous background errors use so much memory that the game will crash a few minutes after causing the error?

How much = 2(piece of string) + surreal fish.

Unfortunately, most of this depends on so many system-specific things that there is no definitive answer. I get worse performance and memory-use with OpenGL rather than any improvement. The best you can do is suck it and see, then start again when there's a new (engine) release.

There certainly seem to be cumulative memory-leaks on scene changes but nothing that mods can do anything about. If they are Unity errors there's not even anything KSP\Squad can do about them. I do know that, while my machine will happily do an interplanetary return-trip with all the manoeuvres if I stay focussed on a single ship, if I change ships or go to the space-centre I have to save, exit and re-start the game every three or four times (max 7 or crash and burn).

[...]There certainly seem to be cumulative memory-leaks on scene changes but nothing that mods can do anything about. If they are Unity errors there's not even anything KSP\Squad can do about them. I do know that, while my machine will happily do an interplanetary return-trip with all the manoeuvres if I stay focussed on a single ship, if I change ships or go to the space-centre I have to save, exit and re-start the game every three or four times (max 7 or crash and burn).

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me and it is frustrating to no end! I can go to and from the VAB/SPH 100000x making ships and reverting but as soon as I start to play the game "normally" I quickly reach the memory limit.

It MAY have something to do with this. But honestly, who knows? I can't live without my mods, so for now I guess it will just be a matter of monitoring my memory usage and reloading the game when I hit about 3.5GB

As Pecan said, YMVV, but in my case running in OpenGL and using ATM basic with DDSLoader after converting textures to DDS using DDS4KSP saves me well over a gigabyte of RAM - enough that I can pretty much run every mod I want to use without worrying about memory too much.

Performance (frame rate) may be a little worse than with DX9, but it's still perfectly playable, for me at least. I do have to use the 'popupwindow' argument as well, though, as OpenGL acts like a total weirdo in full-screen for me.

Edited by UnanimousCoward
Fix error.