[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Just as something that's jumped out at me from that line: EL provides the ability to store and convert to/from Metal, but you build with RocketParts.  (Well, unless you're running USI - but that's a whole other issue.)  Now, you could be summarizing, but if you aren't, that could be your issue as well.

A valid question. I have always made sure that i have rocket parts, but i always try to have metal to replace the rocket parts that i am supposed to use

6 hours ago, hab136 said:

I bet you have zero (or negative) productivity.  When you right-click on the workshop, it should tell you "Productivity: 37" or something like that.  If it's zero, nothing will ever happen.

For high productivity, make sure your ship only has smart Engineers, and no stupid Kerbals on board.  There's more info on the first post.

Whether this is the actual issue Mr. Appleseed is having, users confused by zero productivity seems to be a recurring issue.  I wonder if it can be ameliorated through GUI design.  I wrote up https://github.com/taniwha/Extraplanetary-Launchpads/issues/120 to address that.  The two ideas I can think of off the top of my head are:

1. If you press "Build" and productivity is zero, pop up an error instead of progressing to the build window
2.The Build window could show a warning when productivity is zero (perhaps instead of the progress)

Thanks again, I took a look and the current setups productivity is 22.8, so it does not seem to be that. i am preparing a post with better details on the setup and an example build

KSP: 1.1.3.1289 Windows10 64bit (but tried on previous build and versions of EL)

Problem: Ships do not build

Mods installed:

Extraplanetary launchpads v5.4.0

Module Manager 2.6.25

Reproduction steps:

Build a Launch pad (Orbital; Launchpad2 or Runway), attached are a Workshop stocked with Engineer Kerbals; Power (Large Solar arrays; Batteries and Fuelcell/RTG); Resource containers (Metal; Rocketparts; Fuel); Smelter; Converter; Ore storage.

Open Launch GUI and select a ship and select build

Wait, while build percentage stays on 0%

Log:

link to logs and screen shots

Ouch, what are you building? That RocketParts requirement is just huge. About 25000t? If so, that will take 125000 KerbalHours to build, or about 5500 hours (over two Kerbal years) with a productivity of 22.8.

The build time is 5 KerbalHours / ton, and EL's productivity is in KerbalHours, so just multiply dry mass by 5 and divide by productivity to know how long the build will take (EL's build info window in the editor gives this info for you).

While being stuck on 0% is suspicious, it will take over 54 hours to hit 1%. If warping shows no progress, then there may be a problem in EL's math (I've never tested with anything that big).

Edited by taniwha

3 hours ago, taniwha said:

Ouch, what are you building? That RocketParts requirement is just huge. About 25000t? If so, that will take 125000 KerbalHours to build, or about 5500 hours (over two Kerbal years) with a productivity of 22.8.

The build time is 5 KerbalHours / ton, and EL's productivity is in KerbalHours, so just multiply dry mass by 5 and divide by productivity to know how long the build will take (EL's build info window in the editor gives this info for you).

While being stuck on 0% is suspicious, it will take over 54 hours to hit 1%. If warping shows no progress, then there may be a problem in EL's math (I've never tested with anything that big).

Huh?? The test item is only 316KG dry mass? How can it be 25000t? Please explain, i don't understand

Then something very weird is going on because your required rocket parts (the yellow number in the build window) looks like it's 9.9million. 10million would be 25000t.

Er.. just looked at the VAB screenshots.... yowzas, something is very broken: 1.2billion Yu... or 1.2e33u of RocketParts. However, it is indeed only 316kg. It seems to me that your RocketPart density is invalid (maybe 0?). Fix that to be the 0.0025 it should be and things should go well.

Edited by taniwha

14 minutes ago, taniwha said:

Then something very weird is going on because your required rocket parts (the yellow number in the build window) looks like it's 9.9million. 10million would be 25000t.

Er.. just looked at the VAB screenshots.... yowzas, something is very broken: 1.2billion Yu... or 1.2e33u of RocketParts. However, it is indeed only 316kg. It seems to me that your RocketPart density is invalid (maybe 0?). Fix that to be the 0.0025 as it should be and things should go well.

Where would i find that? Would it be in the mod files?

Ah, great, you quoted my bad grammar :P (no worries)

Ok, double check ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Resources/ExtraSpaceCenters.cfg: the entry for RocketParts is at the top of the file. If that is sane, then you will have to check if other mods (such as CommunityResourcePack) have redefined it: either a conflicting RESOURCE_DEFINITION, or a module manager patch. Search for all cfg files that mention RocketParts (skipping part cfg files should be fine as mentions in those will be for resource containers).

3 hours ago, taniwha said:

Ok, double check ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Resources/ExtraSpaceCenters.cfg: the entry for RocketParts is at the top of the file. If that is sane, then you will have to check if other mods (such as CommunityResourcePack) have redefined it: either a conflicting RESOURCE_DEFINITION, or a module manager patch. Search for all cfg files that mention RocketParts (skipping part cfg files should be fine as mentions in those will be for resource containers).

Ok, thank you will do and revert back

10 hours ago, taniwha said:

I could not edit the file, it was gibberish. I removed the mod and re-added it. I can edit the config file now and the value seems correct.

Thank you very much, i was able to build a small satellite successfully (Test Item 1)

I had the exact same problem; seems to have cropped up when I overwote my old EL folder with the latest version, rather than deleting the old and installing clean. (clean install resolved issue)

Edited by Jarin

47 minutes ago, Jarin said:

I had the exact same problem; seems to have cropped up when I overwote my old EL folder with the latest version, rather than deleting the old and installing clean. (clean install resolved issue)

It is odd though, it fixed it this time. I have tried this mod several times in the past with the same issue, but i am glad it is working. Now! to mine ore and build epic ships!

So I downloaded mod and got problem.

I want to build something using stakes.

I made the base. First land workshop thing (got enginers inside), then land survey station (with engiee too), then connect both with kas, put stake in ground nearby (I pressed h, so it's not just lying down).

But, I can't choose stake from list in build window(it's not there). Suggestions? From what I gather around the net I think it should work.

I won't spam another post, just want to thanks for answer, it worked. Weird I didn't come across this solution.

Edited by Ozi

1 hour ago, Ozi said:

So I downloaded mod and got problem.

I want to build something using stakes.

I made the base. First land workshop thing (got enginers inside), then land survey station (with engiee too), then connect both with kas, put stake in ground nearby (I pressed h, so it's not just lying down).

But, I can't choose stake from list in build window(it's not there). Suggestions? From what I gather around the net I think it should work.

Most likely problem is that the stake is out of range - without a pilot in the survey station the range is very short.  (Engineers do the building, pilots survey the build site.)

4 minutes ago, Johnny Appleseed said:

I have noticed a new issue, don't if it is related to EL. When my KSP gets to 1-1.5GB ram used the game locks up on scene change. Like SPH to lanuch or reverting back to launch or SPH/VAB.

Any one else have this issue?

All specs to as per previous post

I go over 1.5GB of ram usage before the KSP loading screen comes up...  Haven't seen this issue.  :wink:

I'm at around 10 gigs of usage (yes, I have lots of mods) and don't notice any issue. I did, however, last week have a problem like that with Scatterer/SVE (not sure which) when a Kopernicus mod (Kerbal Galaxy Revamped, I think) changed the Sun somehow and Scatterer/SVE really did not seem to know how to deal with it. (Of course, SVE is supposed to be used with the stock system, so once I reverted everything worked fine again.) 

12 hours ago, Fobok said:

I'm at around 10 gigs of usage (yes, I have lots of mods) and don't notice any issue. I did, however, last week have a problem like that with Scatterer/SVE (not sure which) when a Kopernicus mod (Kerbal Galaxy Revamped, I think) changed the Sun somehow and Scatterer/SVE really did not seem to know how to deal with it. (Of course, SVE is supposed to be used with the stock system, so once I reverted everything worked fine again.) 

I ran through my mods and i found that Kopernicus was causing the problem. Removed it and Real Solar System. All running much smoother now.

• 2 weeks later...

hope to be working on delivering equipment and parts to the base area, then assemble parts tobuild up my base rather then try linking it all together on the ground. use lots less parts. tho could go with kis/kas to build platforms and assemble the base from constructed segments too... so much to experiment with

had null build till i shifted kerbs around

notso much a edit as a lil more info. when i was mucking about i had a number of kerbs in the high productiive parts (4man  building can and mini inflatable workshop in uks,,) and had 0 as my build rate. then after putting stupid and non engineers in the life support mods, and two smartests 1 and nul star engineers in inflatable workshop i got a 2.someodd build rate. got a batch of smart 3star engineers to deliver stuff to minimus, juust gotta drive my malamute roverbus of junk off thr slopes where i landed unfortunately