[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

I started building a craft (using EPL 4.5.0 on OSX), and I'm pretty sure the build finished, but when I went to check on the status I discovered the UI window was mostly blank!

I tried updating from EPL 4.5.0 to 5.0.1, but got no relief.

screenshot9_1.png

Some googling found this, which isn't exactly the same:

https://github.com/taniwha-qf/Extraplanetary-Launchpads/issues/38

and this: https://github.com/taniwha-qf/Extraplanetary-Launchpads/issues/35

which isn't quite the same either but gave me some hints where to look in the persistent.sfs file. I discovered this section:

MODULE
{
name = ExLaunchPad
isEnabled = True
PadName =
flagname = Squad/Flags/orbs
state = Dewarping
paused = False
KACalarmID =
baseMass = 0.5
EVENTS

and the "state = Dewarping" looked suspicious.

Based on the discussion of issue #35 above, I set "state = Planning" which does seem to restore the UI.

Unfortunately my build progress is gone!

What are the possible states for the dock? I now know of Dewarping, Idle, and Planning.

How do I set it to show my ship as having finished the build but not yet finalized?

Can we make this a troubleshooting suggestion in the first post of this thread?

- - - Updated - - -

5thHorseman: I noticed you're not using KerbalStats (I won't say how I know, as that would give away the easter egg). If you do use it, kerbals in the blue EL workshop* will gain time-based experience, and even the worst kerbals will become productive (semi-redundant when stock exp is high enough), and other kerbals will improve too.

*Take a look at ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/seat_tasks.cfg (and KerbalStats/seat_tasks.cfg) to see how to make other parts give Workshop experience.

That's a nifty idea. That makes me think I should look into KerbalStats.

Btw, I really like the blue workshop! Kudos to whomever designed that. I'd like more space station parts designed the same way.

smjjames: blizzy toolbar. Also, you can right-click on the pad (or survey station) and click "Hide UI". To get it back again, "Show UI".

I'm talking about the KSC VAB/SPH though and theres no pad or survey station in there to click hide UI or show it in there. I just shove it into the bottom of the screen though.

I'm talking about the KSC VAB/SPH though and theres no pad or survey station in there to click hide UI or show it in there. I just shove it into the bottom of the screen though.

Ya, if you have blizzys toolbar an icon for the EL build aid in the VAB will show up. and you can click it to minimize it.

What are the possible states for the dock? I now know of Dewarping, Idle, and Planning.

I looked at the source code at https://github.com/taniwha-qf/Extraplanetary-Launchpads/blob/master/Source/BuildControl.cs

and found this line (searching for 'Idle'):

[TABLE="class: highlight tab-size-8 js-file-line-container"]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[COLOR=#A71D5D]Public[/COLOR] [COLOR=#A71D5D]enum[/COLOR] [COLOR=#795DA3]State[/COLOR] { Idle, Planning, Building, Canceling, Dewarping, Complete, Transfer };

[TABLE=class: highlight tab-size-8 js-file-line-container]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

So I tried editing the persistence.sfs file and setting the state to 'Complete'.

I was then able to finalize my build! So the problem seems to be solved for now.

Dont suppose anyone has tested EPLP and the regolith patch with the new versions of Karbonite/MKS???

Just downloaded the latest MKS yesterday, but haven't had a chance to test it yet, there shouldn't be any issues though, as the regolith Converter modules havent changed any.

If you run across any free to post in my thread. (though remember if your using MKS, you dont necessarily need the regolith patch, as MKS has its own method/resource chain for rocket parts)

Just downloaded the latest MKS yesterday, but haven't had a chance to test it yet, there shouldn't be any issues though, as the regolith Converter modules havent changed any.

If you run across any free to post in my thread. (though remember if your using MKS, you dont necessarily need the regolith patch, as MKS has its own method/resource chain for rocket parts)

Yea I know...I like the conversion though because it cuts down alot on the number of drills my bases need.....unless Rover made changes I didnt notice....

Yea I know...I like the conversion though because it cuts down alot on the number of drills my bases need.....unless Rover made changes I didnt notice....

Thats why i keep it up to date :) Cause i know some folks perfer the old way. Nope, no changes on the MKS resource chain. And i double checked it with the latest version of Karbonite/Regolith and its all good.

So I tried editing the persistence.sfs file and setting the state to 'Complete'.

I was then able to finalize my build! So the problem seems to be solved for now.

Thanks for this tidbit: I just pushed code to github that checks for state == Dewarping when loading a game, and if found it sets the state to Complete.

I want to finish up some work on survey stations regarding site selection (to help make it more obvious the survey station found no sites) and I'll do up a release.

I have released version 5.0.2 of EL. Links in the first post.

64-bit Windows is NOT supported due to it being an unstable mess.

Nobody will stop you from modifying it to work, but you will get NO support. Anybody distributing a modified version of Extraplanetary Launchpads (for any reason, actually) must make it prominently clear that it is not Extraplanetary Launchpads as released by me. This is actually one of the requirements in the GPL.

Also, by releasing a modified version, you agree to accept all responsibility. This is the reason for the attribution rule in the GPL: so your victims come crying to you rather than to me.

Changes from 5.0.1:

• Correct a spelling mistake in the KAC alarms.
  • Improved survey site highlighting.
    • All stakes in a site are highlighted, not just the first.
    • Better visibility of the highlighting (the new highlighting seen via staging or crew transfer).
    • Color coded highlights.
      el-stakes.jpg
      From left to right: Origin, +X, +Y, +Z, -X, -Y, -Z

[*]Survey builds can be done from a splashed vessel.

[*]Visual indication of the unavailability of sites in the build window.

[*]The site at which the vessel will be built can be selected when there are multiple sites in the vicinity.

[*]Games saved while a pad is dewarping should load properly.

Edited by taniwha

Is the BG-OMD orbital mass detector an Extraplanetary Launchpads part? I'm just wondering if there is a possibility of having it be in the stowed state rather than extended while in the VAB because it does wierd things with procedural fairings, namely extending it to the top of the freaking thing, not to mention that it doesn't sense the top array part that spreads out and so, it clips through. I don't know what would happen there.

Really? I just tested with half of the conic fairing (so I could see what it was doing) and right after I loaded, it started extending, however, the moment that it got to the unfolding part, it exploded due to colliding with the conic fairing.

Does the positioning of the saved craft inside the VAB have affect on the produced vessel's placement? I'm getting vessels that are spawning 100m into the air. I have a survey station and 2 stakes and the output vessel spawns randomly all over, in the air and below ground, but never between the two stakes.

So... dunno what's going on here, but I think maybe there's some sort of bug with moving survey stakes. Here's what happened:

1. Switch to outpost on the Mun.

2. Build something on top of a survey stake - no problem.

3. Survey stake was called Cleared Area: felt it was too far away from base, move closer.

4. When I move it, "Cleared Area" remains in the list of build sites but another one is added with the name of the Kerbal who moved the stake (not shown, sorry).

5. Try to build something: now EPL thinks there are zero rocketparts in my base. Screenshot demonstrates this isn't the case.

Screenshot:

EPL-norocketparts.png

Output log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/output_log_EPLnoRP.txt

Is it because I moved the stake? Or is some other trickery going on here?

UPDATE: Returning to the space center, then returning to the base seems to reset whatever happened.

UPDATE ON UPDATE: Actually, sorry, what I actually did was rename the moved stake to something new ("New Site"), then return to space center, then return to base. That seemed to clear things up.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

Does the positioning of the saved craft inside the VAB have affect on the produced vessel's placement? I'm getting vessels that are spawning 100m into the air. I have a survey station and 2 stakes and the output vessel spawns randomly all over, in the air and below ground, but never between the two stakes.

The position in the VAB has no effect. It sounds like something else is going on: ether an exception is being thrown by some PartModule or your stakes are too far away (pretty obvious in 5.0.2).

So... dunno what's going on here, but I think maybe there's some sort of bug with moving survey stakes. Here's what happened:

5. Try to build something: now EPL thinks there are zero rocketparts in my base. Screenshot demonstrates this isn't the case.

This is a known bug, and save/load (which includes going elsewhere and returning) fixes it. I haven't found the actual cause of the issue, but I do know what is going on. Also, it happens with pads and the dock, too.

Hey, taniwha, have you considered using KSP-AVC to keep us up to date on when you update EPL?

That's what subscribing to the thread is for :) (in "Thread Tools" if you don't already know).

I think the craft is too big, that might be the issue combined with the fact that im the stakes are on a sloped surface, when i shortned the length of the craft it spawns as intended.

WdEEnYB.jpg

Also I noticed that containers with enriched uranium spawn filled, im guessing thats firespitter.

Edited by protoz

Yes, the filled containers of enriched uranium is firespitter. There's a patched FS dll available via the USI thread.

As to the random spawns: a rather surprising result for ground collision, but I suppose anything is possibly (it might be that it is spawning where intended, but Unity is then throwing it in a random direction). However, the good news is I am currently working on a fix for this very situation: I am finally implementing "bounds" stakes.

Bounds stakes are one of the features at which I hinted back when 4.3.0 was released (the other was support for multiple sites). They will allow you to do things like "the bottom of the vessel must be no lower than this stake".

So is there any chance of fixing background build or I'm the only one with this issue?

This is the first problem I've seen with it. Does the build progress normally if you stay focused?

Can you start a build, then exit the game and upload your persistent.sfs file somewhere? (and say which ship has the problem). The KSP logs would be helpful too (see this post for where to get the logs)