Krags PlanetFactory. Updated Jan 22

Kragrathea

thought i'd put in my two cents as well. This does work fine with alternis kerbol, in career and sandbox.

But just a heads up, science archives breaks in career mode... Its not game breaking but it is the only issue that i can find at this time.

Currently running this with quite a few mods but the first that come to mind are Alternis kerbol and the new city lights and clouds pack with memory reduction. It looks fantastic!!! with a memory usage of 2.5 and thats including b9-interstellar-KW-LLL-AIES- and various other mods.

thought i'd put in my two cents as well. This does work fine with alternis kerbol, in career and sandbox.

But just a heads up, science archives breaks in career mode... Its not game breaking but it is the only issue that i can find at this time.

Currently running this with quite a few mods but the first that come to mind are Alternis kerbol and the new city lights and clouds pack with memory reduction. It looks fantastic!!! with a memory usage of 2.5 and thats including b9-interstellar-KW-LLL-AIES- and various other mods.

I have not tried alternis and PF together, but I noticed alternis does not always show the archive, so it may just be that. I have had to load a ship and go back to space center then the archive shows.

Hi everyone. Back from a long holiday break and I will have a new version soon.

As I said before the next version will primarily be for folks who want to make planets. As such I will post it in a thread in the Plugin WIP section until it is stable enough for general release here.

Krag.

As I said before the next version will primarily be for folks who want to make planets. As such I will post it in a thread in the Plugin WIP section until it is stable enough for general release here.

Krag.

Are you planning to add science definitions to this mod?

I hadn't planned on it. I confess I know nothing of such things. If someone wanted to make some I would be happy to include them.

Would love to see science definitions added, there is always the idea to let the community add different science entrys on a google document. Kinda like a collaboration of sorts. Take a look at the crowd source science thread. Only thing i can think of being an issue is how the planet biomes work with added planets.

Edited by Sigma52

Ok. So I searched the thread and couldn't find anything about it, but I got the glitch where the kerbal system is inside the new star and have no idea why. I started a new game and everything so I don't know what went wrong. A little help to enjoy what appears a very interesting mod seems to be in order.

Krag.

Sweeeeeeeeet. I can't wait. This will be the version with the black hole centered binary star system you hinted at in that video you posted a while back?

Ok. So I searched the thread and couldn't find anything about it, but I got the glitch where the kerbal system is inside the new star and have no idea why. I started a new game and everything so I don't know what went wrong. A little help to enjoy what appears a very interesting mod seems to be in order.

I think you messed up the install. Just drop it into your game data folder, homie

Is it really impossible to land on Thud with stock parts? Not even a very light probe? I just installed this and I'm heading to Ablate first, but I'm thinking about Thud in the meantime.

What about sepratrons acting as last second decelleration, just like Soyuz capsules work?

Also, a cushion made of struts for absorbing kinetic energy.

Anyway, this is a great mod. It actually has the stuff I wanted to be included into the Kerbol system. :)

I dont plan playing planetfactory until i explore all stock worlds, but what about Thud that makes it impossible to land on stock parts?

Also, is there any list of planets, with their gravity, atmospheric density, optimal phase angle for starting from kerbin, delta v required, all the orbital parameters?

Is it really impossible to land on Thud with stock parts? Not even a very light probe? I just installed this and I'm heading to Ablate first, but I'm thinking about Thud in the meantime.

What about sepratrons acting as last second decelleration, just like Soyuz capsules work?

Also, a cushion made of struts for absorbing kinetic energy.

Anyway, this is a great mod. It actually has the stuff I wanted to be included into the Kerbol system. :)

Probably not impossible, just very very hard. (Read; ugly laggy rockets ahoy.)

IIRC Thud has a surface gravity of about 3G. To land something you need high enough thrust to at least hover. This means you can't use nukes for the landing stage since they have a TWR maximum of 2.7 (thanks to the engine's own weight). Furthermore you need a lot of dV to cancel your orbital velocity. I can't check the actual orbital velocity in a low Thud orbit right now, but I estimate it'll be around 7km/s. So you probably need around 8km/s to actually land on the thing. Lots of dV + no nukes = messy asparagus staging nonsense.

IIRC Thud has a surface gravity of about 3G. To land something you need high enough thrust to at least hover. This means you can't use nukes for the landing stage since they have a TWR maximum of 2.7 (thanks to the engine's own weight). Furthermore you need a lot of dV to cancel your orbital velocity. I can't check the actual orbital velocity in a low Thud orbit right now, but I estimate it'll be around 7km/s. So you probably need around 8km/s to actually land on the thing. Lots of dV + no nukes = messy asparagus staging nonsense.

I saw an image sequence once with someone who'd done a stock landing on Thud. First, he send the lander and landed. Then, the lander being out of fuel, he sent a new lander on top of a lander, and lifted Jeb away from Thud. Then, having run out of fuel in Thud orbit, he sent a return vehicle to get Jeb home.

I dont plan playing planetfactory until i explore all stock worlds, but what about Thud that makes it impossible to land on stock parts?

Also, is there any list of planets, with their gravity, atmospheric density, optimal phase angle for starting from kerbin, delta v required, all the orbital parameters?

Thud's surface gravity is 3 G and it has no atmosphere.

Tylo has 0.8 G and I was breaking balls just to land something on it. Thud would require something Eve requires for ascent.

Coming back from Thud? That's Whackjob's work. :D

The sheer amount of dV really requires too many parts for my PC.

In reality (if we pretend the gravitational constant of KSP was true), Thud would have an atmosphere and a hydrosphere. The body would be quite round, without prominent features on its surface. With 3 G and so far away from the star, the volatiles would never leave it.

If we don't pretend, Thud would be the core of a small gas giant.

So I guess FAR is the way to go? I don't have much RAM so this won't happen.

Do you think this would be enough? I think it had a pretty high impact resistance last time I checked.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/cp-airbag-system

Edited by lajoswinkler

So I guess FAR is the way to go? I don't have much RAM so this won't happen.

Do you think this would be enough? I think it had a pretty high impact resistance last time I checked.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/cp-airbag-system

No atmosphere, so FAR is going to do bugger all (Also, FAR is practically free RAM wise. Go fetch it, it's awesome).

And no, I don't think the game even bothers to calculate impact tolerances if you move fast enough, stuff just goes *poof*. And you're going to hit the surface with several km/s when you try to lithobrake. The only way to get around that is by first slowing down so the fall doesn't kill you, but that brings you right back to the 8km/s ish of dV needed and the high TWR (else you'll accumulate a lot of downward velocity during landing).

No atmosphere, so FAR is going to do bugger all (Also, FAR is practically free RAM wise. Go fetch it, it's awesome).

And no, I don't think the game even bothers to calculate impact tolerances if you move fast enough, stuff just goes *poof*. And you're going to hit the surface with several km/s when you try to lithobrake. The only way to get around that is by first slowing down so the fall doesn't kill you, but that brings you right back to the 8km/s ish of dV needed and the high TWR (else you'll accumulate a lot of downward velocity during landing).

Crap, I didn't mean to say FAR. There was a mod with very powerful rockets, I forgot its name. I rarely use mods and prefer to play without them so I don't know all the names and stuff.

I would slow down, of course. Airbags, sepratron decellerators, struts, that would be a last resort. Anything to land a small probe core down. :)

I don't remember if I linked these already but here's my Thud landing and rescue missions:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Javascript is disabled. View full album

Orbital velocity in low orbit is only about 4200 m/s so it's not that bad to land and take off from. But it's definitely harder than Tylo, with about the same delta-v needed as to get off Eve. Getting into low orbit takes a lot of delta-v by itself since there's no atmosphere to aerobrake in, but you can use nuclear or ion engines for that.

Hi all, pretty excited about the challenges I've read here. :) Does anybody have a decent delta-v map for the new bodies, yet?

Sentar takes about 2500 m/s delta-v to get to from low Kerbin orbit, not including the inclination change. It takes about 1000 m/s to capture. Flying around in the Sentar system takes surprisingly little delta-v since Sentar has a low mass. Ringle is the same size as Tylo, Erin is the same size as Laythe, Skelton is the same size as Duna (except its atmosphere is a lot thicker so it's harder to take off from). And Thud takes about 2000 m/s to go from low orbit to capture/escape and about 4500 m/s to land on or take off from.

Serious takes about 2700 m/s to get to from LKO, and 2000 m/s to match Joker's orbit. Joker is the same size as Minmus.

Is it possible to install only sentar and it's moons? Because i don't want those really-hard-to-get-to planets (actually asteroids).

Not as far as I know, but by using the Real Solar System plugin you can rearrange and rescale every celestial body at your will, so any planets you don't like can be plopped a few light-years away.