What do you thinks is at the center of our galaxy?

TechnicalK3rbal

Yeah... So the answer is still Supermassive black hole. Intense gravity, Hawking radiation escaping, shows same properties we observed with other black holes... I would say you can't dispute what the facts suggest, but obviously that would be false. Just ask a politician. :P

THE URFS IS IN TEH CENTA OF TEH GALAXY!!!!!! TEH BEBLES SEZ SO!

In all seriousness, though, I'll probably jump in the "Black Hole" bandwagon, as it's the only feasible thing capable of having stars orbit it. Of course, I would allow people to believe it's the Earth that's in the center of the universe, but yet try to prove them wrong.

Yeah... So the answer is still Supermassive black hole. Intense gravity, Hawking radiation escaping, shows same properties we observed with other black holes... I would say you can't dispute what the facts suggest, but obviously that would be false. Just ask a politician. :P

Hold on for a minute. Hawking radiation has NEVER been detected. It is still pure theoretical.

It has been detected under lab conditions in an artificial black hole but never from a natural scource.

It has been detected under lab conditions in an artificial black hole but never from a natural scource.

There is no such thing as an artificial black hole. Experiments were done on analogous system, but there is some doubt on whether they are reliable.

Sag A* is, however, a strong radio source. That might have been the radiation Dominatus was thinking of. It is consistent with what we expect from a black hole, yes.

How you call it depends on the source you refer to. What really matters doesn't change; it's artificial, man made, not natural.

It's not a black hole. It's just a system that allows radiation to escape by a similar mechanism. There is no event horizon there.

A perfect place to install a Dyson Sphere:

Black holes have large accretion discs.

The pressure in one of those discs is high enough to cause a good deal of heat.

The discs are hot enough to emit decent amounts of light.

As a result, accretion discs are one of the most energetic locations in the known universe.

Stick a few large photovoltaics down, enjoy an awesome and likely utterly impractical power source.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.