Resources - postponed, cancelled or reserved for a DLC?

czokletmuss

In your opinion, resources system is:  

1. 1. In your opinion, resources system is:

• Probably postponed
    • Probably reserved for a DLC
    • Probably cancelled :(

I'm sorry. I thought we bought into an early-alpha game specifically to make those decisions ourselves. Perhaps I was mistaken?

If the community made all the decisions on everything, the game would be only 2/3rds as complete as it is now, and may or may not be as good as it is.

I'm sorry. I thought we bought into an early-alpha game specifically to make those decisions ourselves. Perhaps I was mistaken?

Nope, sorry. Early access lets you play the game, but your ability to personally influence design decisions is pretty much zilch. The community has control over what it creates through the modding system, the core game is controlled by the dev team. I'm sure they like to listen to constructive feedback, but you're never going to get access to their internal processes.

OtherDalfite, your attitude is likely to put the devs off bothering with KSP at all, one feature is cut and you do nothing but spit acid and try to bring Squad down, you are not doing yourself any favours and you will not convince Squad to change their minds this way.

Other features are coming, more biomes and science, missions, reputation enough stuff that we will have plenty to do in career mode.

Resources were never promised, it was a feature that was considered and has been rejected, that is how it is and your complaints will not change that.

Snip

I just got help finding an old thread.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/8995-I-have-found-it%21%21-THE-ORIGINAL-KERBO-LOG%21 .

This is what ksp was to me. learn>experiment>improve>acomplishment. it was a rewarding and satisfying feeling getting to the end of that sequence and i think people agree with me when i say that that is where the biggest enjoyment of this game came from.

Resources would add to this cycle by adding new challanges.

Multiplayer simply won't.

Resources were never promised, it was a feature that was considered and has been rejected, that is how it is and your complaints will not change that.

It was promised, it was teased, it was developed, it was promised again, it was worked on. Jesus christ, they even said it would come for 0.19

If the community made all the decisions on everything, the game would be only 2/3rds as complete as it is now, and may or may not be as good as it is.

We may not make decisions, but the developers make decisions based on the community and how it will benefit them the most.

In the beginning of KSP, so many people were personally telling HarvesteR not to pull a Notch, and he specifically promised that he wouldn't allow that to happen, as did Maxmaps. This goes in direct contradiction to what they have done, completely disregarding a community's hopes and deciding to do something that purely benefits them. Now they are ever-so-painfully obvious pulling a Notch, and going for what the seemingly largest (Vocal Majority) want. These people may talk the most but they do not represent the vast majority of KSP. The only reason KSP is where it's at is BECAUSE of the community. We provided the funds and ideas for the next steps in development.

>Kethane = Resources idea ("Resources will blow Kethane out of the water!")

>C7 = Spaceplanes (No, it wasn't always there)

>ORDA docking mod in 0.17

>Hybrid engines = Bac9 Aerospace

We may not make decisions, but the developers make decisions based on the community and how it will benefit them the most.

In the beginning of KSP, so many people were personally telling HarvesteR not to pull a Notch, and he specifically promised that he wouldn't allow that to happen, as did Maxmaps. This goes in direct contradiction to what they have done, completely disregarding a community's hopes and deciding to do something that purely benefits them. Now they are ever-so-painfully obvious pulling a Notch, and going for what the seemingly largest (Vocal Majority) want. These people may talk the most but they do not represent the vast majority of KSP. The only reason KSP is where it's at is BECAUSE of the community. We provided the funds and ideas for the next steps in development.

>Kethane = Resources idea ("Resources will blow Kethane out of the water!")

>C7 = Spaceplanes (No, it wasn't always there)

>ORDA docking mod in 0.17

>Hybrid engines = Bac9 Aerospace

The community wanted multiplayer. A mod for multiplayer came out, and now Squad is implementing multiplayer. Squad is developing KSP inline with the communities wishes. It just so happens that they may have thought that the community wanted multiplayer over resources.

OtherDalfite, your attitude is likely to put the devs off bothering with KSP at all, one feature is cut and you do nothing but spit acid and try to bring Squad down, you are not doing yourself any favours and you will not convince Squad to change their minds this way.

Other features are coming, more biomes and science, missions, reputation enough stuff that we will have plenty to do in career mode.

Resources is in the planned changes for KSP, and has been since the beginning Sal. Saying I'm "spitting acid" is because this was my last straw for squad's incompetence. They've been doing "back changes" ever since 0.19 and have had no progress to show for it except a mediocre, boring, point and click career mode system.

Get a developer in here to answer are questions, because judging by your posts you have no interaction with the devs and therefore know about as much as we do, but your moderator status elevates you to have a higher voice then the rest of us. Resources are 70% done, ask Claira, Mu, or NovaSilisko. It could be done in the month, but that won't pull in nearly as much revenue as multiplayer, will it? If Squad didn't get rich off of KSP then I will eat a whole sock. KSP was a goldmine and HarvesteR was lucky enough to stumble upon it. But I guess what they say is true when money corrupts anyone. It's all that they seem to care about anymore.

Resources were promised, and they were much more than just "considered". Also, we shouldn't need to kiss the devs' feet to make them add a feature. Do investors need to beg and suck up to a corporation to get the business decisions they want? I did not pay for the current state of KSP, I invested with the knowledge that the devs would do what is best for the game.

The community wanted multiplayer. A mod for multiplayer came out, and now Squad is implementing multiplayer. Squad is developing KSP inline with the communities wishes. It just so happens that they may have thought that the community wanted multiplayer over resources.

Squad is directly taking ideas and letting the community define what squad should work on. Saying that the community if left to run KSP would drive it into the ground is a statement which has no backbone to it, because there is obvious proof that the Developers can not think for themselves and require the community to help them. They said they had a plan in the beginning and would stick with it, and is obviously not showing now that they are developing one the features that was told would not happen ever since the beginning of KSP. All of the sudden, KSP is now oriented to multiplayer. Hell, they stopped career mode while it's a 1/10th of the way done because of the community backlash on it.

Multiplayer is a silencer to the community, one last big bust for the devs to get as much gold as they can get out of this mineshaft before it collapses.

Squad is directly taking ideas and letting the community define what squad should work on. Saying that the community if left to run KSP would drive it into the ground is a statement which has no backbone to it, because there is obvious proof that the Developers can not think for themselves and require the community to help them. They said they had a plan in the beginning and would stick with it, and is obviously not showing now that they are developing one the features that was told would not happen ever since the beginning of KSP. All of the sudden, KSP is now oriented to multiplayer. Hell, they stopped career mode while it's a 1/10th of the way done because of the community backlash on it.

Multiplayer is a silencer to the community, one last big bust for the devs to get as much gold as they can get out of this mineshaft before it collapses.

If you are going to call the game devs incompetent and for all intents and purposes mentally ill, then you have lost all credibility to hold a discussion with.

Complaining like this is more likely to get KSP canned than to get you the feature you want, the vast majority of KSP players want multiplayer, it's requested almost daily, and only a relatively small number actually ask for resource mining, more people ask for life support than resources.

To be fair, swapping the word "KSP resources" with "kethane" gives quite a dramatic difference.

Complaining like this is more likely to get KSP canned than to get you the feature you want, the vast majority of KSP players want multiplayer, it's requested almost daily, and only a relatively small number actually ask for resource mining, more people ask for life support than resources.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61714-Multiplayer-or-resources

Hell, they stopped career mode while it's a 1/10th of the way done because of the community backlash on it.

...wat.

When did they stop working on career mode? It's still top priority! There's arguing and then there's misinformation.

A poll created less than 24 hours ago in a time of high emotions is not indicative of general sentiment. I think the poll is therefore inconclusive based on when it was made, and I would generally believe the sentiment I have witnessed over the not quite 2 years I've been here than a spur of the moment poll. I agree with sal_verger: multiplayer has been a request as long as I've been here, and while I couldn't care less about it, if implemented properly it can be a good thing.

Edited by mknote

I don't see how a Google poll is relevant at all. People are likely using Google to search for mods. There are several different life support mods but the only resource mod is just called Kethane, so why would people search "ksp resources"? Look what happens when I add "ksp kethane": https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=multiplayer%20ksp%2C%20ksp%20resources%2C%20ksp%20life%20support%2C%20ksp%20kethane&cmpt=q

...wat.

When did they stop working on career mode? It's still top priority! There's arguing and then there's misinformation.

Pretty sure this is not true. They clearly said in the stream that multiplayer will be worked on after career mode is complete, which currently is top priority. They also showcased an improvement in career mode in 0.23.

So the developers are going to just quit because they made a mistake? They've made mistakes in the past.

Also, before you go throwing out random, unbacked statements like you just did, take a look at this. 10 times the number of people want resources over the sham that they know multiplayer will be.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61714-Multiplayer-or-resources

A poll created less than 24 hours ago in a time of high emotions is not indicative of general sentiment. I think the poll is therefore inconclusive based on when it was made, and I would generally believe the sentiment I have witnessed over the not quite 2 years I've been here than a spur of the moment poll. I agree with sal_verger: multiplayer has been a request as long as I've been here, and while I couldn't care less about it, if implemented properly it can be a good thing.

Yeah, we just wait until all those people who want multiplayer over resources come out of the woodwork. Really.

You know why resources were never asked for? Because squad always said they were under development and people knew that. Multiplayer was requested because it's been told it's not a high priority. Resources have been a long awaited and anticipated thing for KSP, and now they are cancelled and swapped out with multiplayer.

I think the thing that Squad may have missed is that the people who want multiplayer likely want it in the final product *with* resources as well.

I don't understand why this is a mutually exclusive thing all of a sudden. Resources and multiplayer should both be in the final product.

Just a rebalance, nothing new really.

Well, there's a major new science part. But yes, not loads of changes. However, saying work had stopped on Career Mode is just plain wrong. I think we're going to see lots of work on it over the next few releases.

You know why resources were never asked for? Because squad always said they were under development and people knew that. Multiplayer was requested because it's been told it's not a high priority. Resources have been a long awaited and anticipated thing for KSP, and now they are cancelled and swapped out with multiplayer.

You don't know that it's been swapped out. Correlation != causation.