Possible resources mod?

jimj316

Hi, I'm jimj316 and I've been lurking these forums since about 0.14 :P

As you all know, recently the long-awaited and much delayed stock resource mining was finally shelved for good, such to the dismay of many in the community. Now, while I respect the decision of the developers (it's their game, after all) I can't help but feel disappointed by this decision; it honestly seems like a very good idea, and not really that difficult to implement.

I had the idea of making a mod to implement the system myself. The mod would attempt to stay as faithful to the developer's original plan (see: http://i.imgur.com/lGlWdyn.png) as possible. The details of some systems were never revealed, I may have to take liberties in a few places :P. I already have lots of notes about how some things would work, which will be released once I turn them from insomnia-driven-text-document format into something readable. x3

As for my own experience, I am professionally skilled in Java and C++, which seems to be translating well to C#, and this is not the first mod I will have made; just the first I will have published. I can (kinda) design static models for use in the game, but not texture them very well, and I don't even know where to begin with animating.

Does anyone have any feedback as to if this is a good idea, too ambitious, etc? Is anyone already doing this?

I would love to see this be implemented. While I can't be much direct help, I'd suggest you get in touch with Skyrender regarding his thread HERE. It looks like he's got a good start on this, and was looking for people to bring on board.

I'd also suggest talking to Ackander regarding his thread HERE, as the two subjects are pretty closely related.

- Hi and welcome to the forum ;-)

I do not know if someone are making such a material mining mod, only thing i know of is a mining mod named " Kethane " that allow players to drill in the ground and extract kethane and then convert it to fuel/mono. I personal like this mod since it is simple to use.

Regarding making a material mod that look like the one the developers talked about, well it do sound interesting but I do just like the developers fear that it will be a bit difficult as a player and maybe make it less fun to play the game if there are to many different kinds of materials.. SO i do understand why they did not put it in the game, simply since the original kerbal need to be for "everyone" and not just very experienced players.

I like to suggest to keep it simple, and here is an idea.

- You need a scanner to be able to find the material from space. But the scanner do not need to be to powerful. The reason are I think it would be more fun if people need to land in a resource area but have to example drive a little with a rover to find it and so to speak "work".

- I also like to suggest that there only are 4 types of material.

- And all resource locations on a planet should have all 4 materials, but in various % concentrations. For example iron is 20% pure in this area, and 40% pure in another area. So what ever the player need to mine, they can choose to focus their attention in the specific area..

- maybe there could be like 4 resource places on a planet and they do not even have to be that large. That way people also need to work a little harder with their sattelites to find it.

But as you can imagine, the resource mining mod can be interesting, but I think it will mostly be for very experienced players who build advanced spacecraft.

This was squads plan?

Personally, I think this is a bit too complicated.

I've been thinking about resource gathering parts for some time, this is my rough idea how it could work:

Liquid fuel:

A big part that extracts liquid fuel from the atmosphere. like, apparently Nasa made plans on Mars to process CO2 from the atmosphere to Methane and use that as fuel. In kerbal that could just be liquid fuel. Venus atmosphere is also largely composed of CO2 so it would work on Eve too, and the atmosphere on Laythe could also also contain some CO2.

Oxydizer:

Where there is CO2 in the atmosphere, a greenhouse module can be used to produce Oxygen, and that can be cooled and liquified to liquid oxygen.

Hydrogen:

Ideally this will be added to the game and used for Nuclear thermal rockets. There could be a drilling part that extracts it from surface soil.

This would be the method of choice on atmosphere-less planets and moons. And Coincidentally, these usually have rather low gravity, so Landers with Nuke Rockets could have a good enough TWR to make advantage of the hydrogen there.

To keep the game interresting and challanging, these parts would generate recources at very slow rates, require huge amounts of electricity, and be very heavy and thus difficult to launch/land.

I feel the need to post here because there are a couple posters who think Squad's old resource plan is too complicated.

I'm a Dwarf Fortress veteran and I think that Squad's old plan is adorably simplistic. I would be utterly delighted to see a much more complicated ISRU mod.

I would respectfully ask that you guys who'd prefer a simpler system don't try too hard to talk this guy out of making the mod of my dreams :(

I feel the need to post here because there are a couple posters who think Squad's old resource plan is too complicated.

I'm a Dwarf Fortress veteran and I think that Squad's old plan is adorably simplistic. I would be utterly delighted to see a much more complicated ISRU mod.

I would respectfully ask that you guys who'd prefer a simpler system don't try too hard to talk this guy out of making the mod of my dreams :(

You play Dwarf Fortress, your opinion on "simple" versus "complex" is not valid.

(I kid, of course. Your opinion is valid. But dang that game has a complex resource system. And all other systems. Including controls and UI)

Don't worry, I play DF as well, so evidently I think more complexity is a good thing x3

After all, the more complex the system is, there more player options are possible, and more options means more interesting gameplay experiences!

Resources are all well and good but they have to be fun. Adding a part for CO2 and a part for O2 and a part for collecting toilet waste and a part that recycles toilet waste and a scrubber for the O2 and another part for mining kethane and a part for mining Deuterium and a part for collecting H3 and a part for mapping and scanning and a part to attach to your craft to show the maps created and a part that provides exercise and recreation and a part so they can phone home to protect sanity and a part that recycles water and a part that collects condensation and a cleaning part for the mould and mildew that will collect and a part for making balloon animals and by god it will get very dull, repetitive, boring and insanely annoying.

Their is a very fine line to tread between complexity and fun.

Hi, I'm jimj316 and I've been lurking these forums since about 0.14 :P

As you all know, recently the long-awaited and much delayed stock resource mining was finally shelved for good, such to the dismay of many in the community. Now, while I respect the decision of the developers (it's their game, after all) I can't help but feel disappointed by this decision; it honestly seems like a very good idea, and not really that difficult to implement.

I had the idea of making a mod to implement the system myself. The mod would attempt to stay as faithful to the developer's original plan (see: http://i.imgur.com/lGlWdyn.png) as possible. The details of some systems were never revealed, I may have to take liberties in a few places :P. I already have lots of notes about how some things would work, which will be released once I turn them from insomnia-driven-text-document format into something readable. x3

As for my own experience, I am professionally skilled in Java and C++, which seems to be translating well to C#, and this is not the first mod I will have made; just the first I will have published. I can (kinda) design static models for use in the game, but not texture them very well, and I don't even know where to begin with animating.

Does anyone have any feedback as to if this is a good idea, too ambitious, etc? Is anyone already doing this?

Resources are not cancelled, simply postponed due to their complexity and the fact that it would take a very long time to develop. SQUAD has decided to allocate their time differently, namely in making the current game a more 'finished' product. Its kinda unfortunate that SQUAD, when announcing that resources were postponed, said it in a way that made the community thing it was abandoned for good, but don't worry, its coming eventually.

Also, multiplayer is on the way :)

• 2 months later...

I feel like kethane mod is a little too simple, as all you have to do is repeat the same process over and over again: scan, mine, transform; scan, mine, transform; a little like alchemy. I feel like there should be at least a few other resources added such as hydrogen, helium, oxygen, CO2, (or their kerbal counterparts) just to name a few, but too many of them might make it hard and confusing for some people. Also, they should be located around different parts of the kerbal system. For ex: CO2 is common on Duna and Eve, hydrogen/chlorine on Jool, water ice at planetary poles and icy bodies.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.