How do I EVA in atmosphere?

There's no way to do that. Holding on to something that's moving several hundred meters per second is impossible. The drag would literally tear your arms right off. Only Schwarzenegger can do it, and only in movies.

The Kerbal falls off because he's experiencing massive atmospheric resistance. Like being hit by a train.

Edited by Szkeptik

there is no minimum height so much as a maximum veloctity depending on height.

E.G: Travelling about 20 to 50 ms in the lower atmo should be fine, and will be safer the higher up you go, and could probably manage 1.5 to 3 Kms-1 in the very upper atmo and black section of the bar. In the middle part I would say no more than 100ms to 500ms depending on height.

EDIT: ninja'd. Yes, 10 should be fine on a 'chute.

You can also do it like this if you use KAS mod: attach winch on command pod, when still on upper atmosphere and descending - exit pod, grab connector and just jump away from pod - it'll hold you. You may bungee jump like this 50 m around pod (cable length). You will also be able to get back in pod while in mid-air by just switching back to pod and retracting cable so that pilot may reach hatch. Yeah, and don't forget chutes :)

Easiest way to get "flying over" is to either do the EVA report while on a ladder or jump into the air and take the EVA report before you hit the ground.

For "high atmosphere" the easiest way is actually during launch. Just wait until you're coasting to your apoapsis, somewhere between 40 and 60 km, and EVA while the rocket coasts.

Saw you swapped it to answered, but I will say how I did both my upper and lower eva early in sciencee. Is a bit fun, but does require some good rendevous skills. Simply get speed up, then drift. You eva, fall off, but then use your RCS to keep your relative speed matched to the craft. Do the eva report, then simply RCS back to your capsule. Can make you nervous, but is fun! RCS cannot lift you off, but it can keep you with a coasting spacecraft.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.