[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

This change seems fine to me. As I recall, I recently got awarded like 270 science for completing a contract to... collect science. That's many times higher than any other stock or mod contracts I've seen.

Reduced by 70-90%, which probably isn't actually accurate, more like 50-80%. Magnetic field survey contracts have been reduced by about 80% or so, but they give an additional science reward upon completion. The other surveys are reduced by more like 50-70%. But the standard orbital surveys already require that the experiments requested have science remaining. Asteroid surveys don't technically require remaining science, but unless you are an asteroid hunting fiend they probably will have plenty.

Because it gives you thirteen other ways to get science, along with four science focused contracts.

If you are having problems getting enough science while using previous versions then you are doing something wrong. Even in hard mode, with science reduced by 60% (and further reduced for contracts), and using the CTT you should be swimming in excess science.

If you want more then you can increase the science contract modifier in the config file.

I should also note that existing contracts are not affected. The reward and parameter changes will have no effect on them, only newly offered contracts.

Ay chee wow wa, my science was already hurting due to using RT and sometimes not having connection, sigh couldn't the adjusted science levels be put in like a Module Manger file for those hard core nuts that want it? you knwo the kind that use deadly re-entry, FAR and want more Columbia styled missions?......too much? sorry just frustrating.

I am having an issue with the anomaly scanner on an anomaly scan contract. I got a contract for scanning Rockarch01 on the mun and when I try to take a measurement with the BTDT anomaly scanner it repeatedly tells me that there is no signal detected. I have tried activating it both on the surface and after doing a little hop so it was "in space" but so far nothing has worked.

Any way I can force it to completion?

I can't seem to be able to take data with a scientist on EVA from several US experiments (tried Mystery Goo and the Science Jr so far); the menu option doesn't show up even if I'm very close. I can take data from the Orbital Telescope US wedge, however.

Is this intended behavior? Couldn't find any reports about that on the past few pages nor in the FAQ.

EDIT: Seems like the SETI Tech Tree actually changes the dataIsCollectable property for some of the experiments for balancing reasons. I wasn't even aware that property existed, as I have never encountered a non-collectable experiment before; and I've only very recently installed SETI. So this is not a bug of DMagic after all!

Anyone knows which other mods do this? Thought its kind of a stock bug, since i noticed that too without using SETI Tech Tree, but some other addons (xScience, ContractConfigurator, AnomalySurveyor, KerbalEngineer, kOS, SpaceY-Lifters, WaypointManager, WiderContractsApp, Module Manager)

Anyone have their ships blow up from overheating when using this mod? I have on my probe stock parts, two SCANSat parts, and then parts from this mod. I don't think it's SCANSat because I've done probes before with only that, and had no issues. But now I have a probe with new science parts, it's in polar orbit. I enabled SCANSat and time accelerated, and eventually the probe just randomly blows up and the after-crash reports states that all parts blew up because of overheating.

I'm confused...

I am having an issue with the anomaly scanner on an anomaly scan contract. I got a contract for scanning Rockarch01 on the mun and when I try to take a measurement with the BTDT anomaly scanner it repeatedly tells me that there is no signal detected. I have tried activating it both on the surface and after doing a little hop so it was "in space" but so far nothing has worked.

Any way I can force it to completion?

Do you log files? Or maybe just screenshots of what is going on?

Anyone have their ships blow up from overheating when using this mod? I have on my probe stock parts, two SCANSat parts, and then parts from this mod. I don't think it's SCANSat because I've done probes before with only that, and had no issues. But now I have a probe with new science parts, it's in polar orbit. I enabled SCANSat and time accelerated, and eventually the probe just randomly blows up and the after-crash reports states that all parts blew up because of overheating.

I'm confused...

That's new, I've never had something like that happen. Can you post your log files?

Logs as in crash logs or something else? I have not suffered any crash as a result of this so I don't think the ones I have would help. I will try to get screenshots for you soon.

Logs as in crash logs or something else? I have not suffered any crash as a result of this so I don't think the ones I have would help. I will try to get screenshots for you soon.

If your game doesn't crash, but you still want to access the log file, you can find it in /KSP_Data/Output_log.txt You might want to look through it, to see if something is out of whack. Being able to replicate your error helps too

That's new, I've never had something like that happen. Can you post your log files?

I've actually had a ship explode from overheating (somehow) while in orbit of Tylo doing fast warp, multiple times. I've had it with a few other places, but Tylo is somehow more suspicible to it. I actually thought it was a stock problem.

Anyways, sure, I'll set up a save example for you as it's been easily reproducible for me.

Edit: That is going to wait until I figure out why it's bugging out about activestruts not being there. Or at the very least, fix it.

Edit2: Fixed that. No idea what happened.

Edited by smjjames

I'm having an issue pulling Science Data out of the Universal Storage Stock Science parts, I have a level 1 Scientist and he can't pull data out of the Mystery Goo Container and Science Jr Parts. He can pull out of the Orbital Telescope but those are the three I've tried so far.

Okay, reproduced it, here's the quicksave and craft file (in the zip).

http://sta.sh/01w5an8cuph

Mods required for craft:

Dmagic orbital science

SCANsat

MechJeb (I put a MJ case on the ship)

KJR was used but shouldn't be neccesary since you don't need to move the ship.

For reproduction, just go at max timewarp for the altitude, it'll take a while, upwards of 5 minutes, maybe more, but it WILL explode. I don't know why, but Tylo seems to be way more suspicible to it than other places.

Output log: http://sta.sh/013ocy8w3m2i

Edit: I decided to test with the actual latest SCANsat (needed to update anyway) and it still exploded. It exploded a couple seconds after I opened the SCANsat small map while in high warp to check the progress, no idea if that was coincidence or not.

Output log from that: http://sta.sh/0jdozfyhnqy

Edited by smjjames

O.o

I have absolutely no clue how either one would affect temperature. I've only had it while timewarping though, not random-out-of-nowhere explosions while in normal timewarp. As I've said, Tylo seems particularily suspicible, but I've had it elsewhere.

With some help from hyperedit, I could certainly check it out without either (I've got an idea for testing each instrument individually), not right now though.

This might be important to note, as seen on that screenshot, my exploding probe would also run out of electric charge while on the dark side.

Although, it's strange, because there was enough charge to last the half-orbit in the dark if I had entered while fully charged, which my solar panels ensured. In fact, if I completed the orbit in 1x - 10x warp, there was enough charge. But if I put the warp to 1000x or more, something weird would happen either with the solar panels or the batteries, and my batteries would not charge up to 100% before entering the dark side again.

Ok, I see it happening:

http://i.imgur.com/ZUVWEZ6.png

But I have no idea why Orbital Science or SCANsat would cause this. Can anyone replicate this without either one?

Who'se ship did you replicate that with? I tried to do it with either just SCANsat or just Orbital Science and came up inconclusive, so I decided to try the ship and save that I posted up, but now that ship doesn't seem to want to explode. It seems to just happen.... randomly...

Edit: Tried again and it exploded again, while unobserved while I was in another window, XD

Edit2: I saw it suddenly flash a higher temperature for a brief instant. Going to do each one separately for further study.

Edited by smjjames

I tried it with your vessel. It exploded reliably after about 6.5 minutes (I timed it once, but every run seemed about the same) at max time warp. I also tried letting it run for 3 or 4 minutes, then saving and reloading, which seemed to reset the timer.

The temperature remained pretty constant right up until the last frame, where it jumped to the value shown above.

SAR: Exploded, about 2 min 30sec

Also, apparently the game bugged out and spammed a bunch of errors, also couldn't exit back to KSC and timewarp seened to keep going even when I moved the timewarp back down (I think, or the flyby was just fast). Had to manually exit KSP. Also, I haven't had it bug out like that from a craft exploding before.

Output log from that: http://sta.sh/01tjxxa68k0c

Edit: Magnetometer didn't even last THIRTY seconds. Giving it another go in retracted mode to see if it still explodes there.

Edit2: I think I'll go back and actually test them properly with SCANsat and Orbital Science separate.

Edit3: Retracted magnetometer took around 6 minutes, 15 seconds or so. I'll go test the two mods separately.

SCANsat only.

stock clamshell scanner (this is my control): 10min, did NOT explode.

RADAR altimetry in active mode: 10min, no explosion.

SAR scan: 10min, no explosion

multispectral: 9min 40sec (because I got bored), no explosion.

Edit: You know, why don't they explode during interplanetary transit? Especially the long ones, or even in a heliocentric orbit (has anybody tried this?). It only seems to happen in orbit around a planet or moon.

Orbital Science only.

Orbital Telescope: 10min, no explosion

Magnetometer (extended): 10min, no explosion.

While doing the testing, I got to thinking 'are the scanners from MKS, Karbonite, and Extraplanetary launchpads affected by this with both Orbital Science and SCANsat?', so....

With both scansat and orbital science.

EL magnetometer (Passive? theres no resource scan button available): 10min, no explosion.

Karbonite scanner: 45 seconds, exploded. that really didn't last long..... Backed up (well, okay, loaded an older quicksave accidentially and had to relaunch ship, I meant to back up to a previous point anyway) to try again: 7min 40sec, no explosion ??? *resets tylo data to see if it affects anything since it's at 100% now for the instrument* 10min, no explosion. Why did it explode earlier??? Anyways, next...

MKS planetary survey camera: 8 minutes, exploded that one took a while. *wonders if 10 minutes is too short to end the test*

So, whatever is going on, it can also affect other scanners and science instruments, probably ones that connect to scansat. I'd better check the control.....

Stock clamshell scanner (I pressed do orbital scan before warping): 2 min 50sec..... it exploded.... O.o

None of this testing is giving any hints as to the WHY, just the what's happening.

Going to do a heliocentric orbit out of curiosity and possibility.

Tyloorboom ship in heliocentric orbit between Kerbin and Duna at 6th level timewarp: 10min, no explosion.

Edited by smjjames

Hello there

On your page description u have >Recommended Add-ons< my humble suggestion is make a primary section with >NEED Add-ons< (must have) because is a difference between recommend & must have :) to make pack work correctly or be 100% functional & for that i will give u some random example pull out from game log:

[LOG 14:17:17.527] Config(@PART[dmGoreSat]:FOR[DMagic]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,!RP-0,!SETI]) DMagicOrbitalScience/Resources/DMagicCommunityTechTree/@PART[dmGoreSat]:FOR[DMagic]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree,!RP-0,!SETI]

[LOG 14:17:25.219] [ModuleManager] Deleting Node in file DMagicOrbitalScience/Resources/DMagicKAS subnode: @PART[dmImagingPlatform]:HAS[!MODULE[KASModuleGrab]]:FOR[DMagic]:NEEDS[KAS] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS

[LOG 14:17:25.235] [ModuleManager] Deleting Node in file DMagicOrbitalScience/Resources/DMagicSCANsatScanner subnode: @PART[dmImagingPlatform]:HAS[!MODULE[sCANsat]]:FOR[DMagic]:NEEDS[sCANsat] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS

[LOG 14:17:25.242] [ModuleManager] Deleting Node in file DMagicOrbitalScience/UniversalStorage/USGooMat/USGoo subnode: @PART[dmUSGoo]:FOR[DMagic]:NEEDS[universalStorage] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS

what it show this: a dependency by [universalStorage] [sCANsat] [KAS] what some it my have or not :) but is good to know if they are MUST have, pack it can work with mod what i say yes, pack can generate error or work badly if it not find other mod yes special if we speak about part's

anyway i see this a common mistake done by many :) what confusing supporting with needing :) what it can result in screw up thingy very easy

thx for pack & houpe it will help

cya around

SAR: Exploded, about 2 min 30sec...

Well that continues to make little sense. It still seems like some underlying stock problem, but I'll try to look into it more this weekend.

Hello there

On your page description u have >Recommended Add-ons< my humble suggestion is make a primary section with >NEED Add-ons< (must have)

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. But the logs you showed are normal Module Manager behavior. If a [NEEDS] add-on is installed then MM will add the appropriate Modules to the part, otherwise it will skip it (and if you are still seeing the KAS references then you are either using an old version of Orbital Science or not following the universal installation instructions of deleting old copies first).

Nothing else is required for Orbital Science to work, but as the first post suggests, there are several addons that it can interact with, or work well with. The closest thing to a requirement is Module Manager, as it's needed for generating stock contracts with Orbital Science parts, but it still works without it, so I don't include MM.

what it show this: a dependency by [universalStorage] [sCANsat] [KAS] what some it my have or not :) but is good to know if they are MUST have, pack it can work with mod what i say yes, pack can generate error or work badly if it not find other mod yes special if we speak about part's

I use this mod, but I don't have SCANsat, and I am quite happy without it. Thus, SCANsat is not needed!

To take the example of Universal Storage, it includes modules to support both TAC LS and USI LS. If I understand what you are saying, then the mod author would tell users they NEED both addons. However, I can't imagine someone wanting to run both of them simultaneously.

Hello there

On your page description u have >Recommended Add-ons< ...

i dont think you understand how ModuleManager works - these aren't dependencies, these are tie-ins, bonuses if you have those mods as well - failure to have a tie-in mod does not break your game or create errors or crashes

Well that continues to make little sense. It still seems like some underlying stock problem, but I'll try to look into it more this weekend.

It only seems to happen with both SCANsat and Orbital Science installed. Without either one, my control test (the clamshell stock scanner) didn't explode, but with both, it exploded to my surprise.

When you create a item / part or anything related to ksp you set property ... what can doo, what it require to function, what texture, library to use & soo on ...i am speaking figurative not in code line

What i was trie to show was simple DMagic pack it require aka it NEED thing to function correctly, some are found directly in pack, other are not aka it depend by other & is normal coz all are related & it suppose to work tougher, is like if u have a good function what u already created & work nice way me to trie to reinvent the wheal when u already implement? agen i am speak figurative not in code line

[KASModuleGrab] is module / function from KAS mod

MODULE[sCANsat] is from SCANsat mod

UniversalStorage/USSolarParticles/USSolarParticles/ is a item what it can be found directly in pack & that is fulfill necessity

i already say pack it can work & it is working with out KAS / SCANsat BUT my point is it will not work 100% or it can generate problem some are minor, some can be very very bad like game can crash, is not Dmagic case but i just say ...

yes i am using an older version of Dmagic aka 1.0.3, i was not updated coz i was not like tuning / rebalance what i read was done in change log but this agen it not mater back to my point is a difference betwin suported & require / need

if u want i can post parse log (with 2 key word DMagicOrbitalScience & NEED, to narrow down result) from game log & related only to Dmagic (see the magic key word), how i was say early was just some random example & was just a suggestion u doo what u will want to doo, i am here only to trie to help & point to something what u my be u miss (is not only u'r case there are many other mod what have same issue)

Please try writing with less shorthand and more punctuation, it can be difficult to understand, but I think I get the gist of it.

You still seem to be referring to Module Manager configs (searching for DMagicOrbitalScience and NEED; these are examples of MM syntax, and yes, they will always show up in the log files) and still don't seem to be understanding how those configs work.

Those other addons are not needed, they aren't required. If they are installed, parts from Orbital Science can use some of the functions provided by those addons. Having or not having those addons (with some rare exceptions for crafts made with Universal Storage parts that still exist after deleting Universal Storage) does not produce errors or problems; not having those addons installed just means that Orbital Science parts won't have the related modules added to them.

Whether or not Orbital Science is working at "100%" with or without these recommended addons is a subjective matter; I say that nothing else is required for it to work properly. You might say that the Universal Storage parts add unnecessary memory bloat if Universal Storage is not installed, but as I have noted repeatedly, the entire Universal Storage folder can be deleted to save space.

k soo what i understand from what you say:

You build a car what by default it have 10 horse power & can be drive on normal road. BUT if it add a injector it will get 5 other horse power & if wheal it will be change it will be possible to drive on off road to!!!

soo now my simple question: "how default car, with out other change can be say it work on 100% ?!?!?!" to continue joke it not mater if adding injector (50% chanse) it will blow up engine :)

anyway i give up, like a joke need word it get to a new level!!! special in code line ;)

thx for make mod & cya around