[1.8.x] DMagic Orbital Science: New Science Parts [v1.4.3] [11/2/2019]

DMagic

Yeah, I've had one mag survey around Kerbin for 64 days by the MET clock, the mission was only for a 21day scan... sure, the margins of the orbit are close 0.186 vs .15 e, but still, if it's on rails, it shouldn't change... So why isn't it triggering the mission to be completed?

Is the timer resetting to full duration, or is the contract just not completing?

Is anyone else seeing their magnetic survey timers reset for no apparent reason? I've left the sat in the proper orbit and the timer starts counting down, but it just resets randomly, without me even focusing on the craft. I think it may be triggered by loading a saved game, or reverting to launch.
Yeah, I've had one mag survey around Kerbin for 64 days by the MET clock, the mission was only for a 21day scan... sure, the margins of the orbit are close 0.186 vs .15 e, but still, if it's on rails, it shouldn't change... So why isn't it triggering the mission to be completed?

More details would be nice for these.

I'm not seeing a techmanager to select the tech tree.

The new tech-tree system just uses one tree for the entire install -- no more picking and choosing, unfortunately, though it can be modified by Module Manager. The Community Tech Tree at least has all of the stock nodes in it, so anything compatible with the stock tech tree is compatible with it.

I have magnetic survey missions around Mun and Minmus and the timer keeps reseting to their start duration and the inclination and eccentricity gets unticked.

It is triggered by going to a ship, going back to space center and reverting to launch/VAB.

I'm not seeing it, the contract is unaffected by reverting to launch/VAB for me.

I need log files to find out more.

I believe the problem is this, which occurs when switching back from your vessel in orbit to the space center (the last time you switch back):

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetGameObject ()
at UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KnowledgeBase.DisposeResourceList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KnowledgeBase.CreateResourceList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KnowledgeBase.OnMapFocusChange (.MapObject target) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[MapObject].Fire (.MapObject data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlanetariumCamera.SetTarget (.MapObject tgt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlanetariumCamera.OnVesselDestroy (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Vessel.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I have no idea what is causing this or why (the DisposeResourceList method is related to the list of resources in the knowledge base resource overlay window), but it is a major problem and errors in Orbital Science contracts are probably the least of your concerns.

It also causes a nasty problem while loading SCANsat which needs to be fixed. Orbital Science is doing what it's supposed to do and gracefully handling the problem by resetting the contract rather than letting the error propagate to other areas.

I believe the problem is this, which occurs when switching back from your vessel in orbit to the space center (the last time you switch back):

NullReferenceException
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetGameObject ()
at UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KnowledgeBase.DisposeResourceList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KnowledgeBase.CreateResourceList () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KnowledgeBase.OnMapFocusChange (.MapObject target) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[MapObject].Fire (.MapObject data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlanetariumCamera.SetTarget (.MapObject tgt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at PlanetariumCamera.OnVesselDestroy (.Vessel vessel) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EventData`1[Vessel].Fire (.Vessel data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Vessel.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I have no idea what is causing this or why (the DisposeResourceList method is related to the list of resources in the knowledge base resource overlay window), but it is a major problem and errors in Orbital Science contracts are probably the least of your concerns.

It also causes a nasty problem while loading SCANsat which needs to be fixed. Orbital Science is doing what it's supposed to do and gracefully handling the problem by resetting the contract rather than letting the error propagate to other areas.

So, should I post this to the SCANSAT thread too?

EDIT: Forgot SCANSAT is also owned by you. :confused:

Will it take long to fix the issue(s)?

Edited by Thegamer211

No, like I said, the problem is coming from somewhere else; it affects both this and SCANsat, for more-or-less the same reason, but the original error has nothing to do with either.

I can't help with the original error. I've never seen it before so I'm guessing it comes from some other mod, but I have no idea which.

EDIT: Forgot SCANSAT is also owned by you. :confused:

Will it take long to fix the issue(s)?

What mods are you running? Basic trouble shooting could be used just start pulling out the more...experimental mods first and see if you have the same issue. Eventually you will hit the issue...or narrow it down.

What mods are you running? Basic trouble shooting could be used just start pulling out the more...experimental mods first and see if you have the same issue. Eventually you will hit the issue...or narrow it down.

I also have a thread about this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/135155-Dmagic-orbital-science-magnetic-contract-reseting-parameters

I just did a quick test ... The culprits seemed to be here:

PARAM
{
name = DMLongOrbitParameter
state = Incomplete
values = 0,0,0,0,0
Orbital_Parameter = 3,024,000.0|0.0
PARAM
{
name = DMOrbitalParameters
state = Incomplete
disableOnStateChange = False
values = 0,0,0,0,0
Orbital_Parameter = 0||0.180
}
PARAM
{
name = DMOrbitalParameters
state = Incomplete
disableOnStateChange = False
values = 0,0,0,0,0
Orbital_Parameter = 1||26.000
}
}

...despite the fact the the orbit was properly maintained by a probe. So I changed the "Incomplete" to "Complete" ... Now in the mission manager, it showed that the duration was "Complete", but the orbital parameters (inclination and eccentricity) had reset to "Incomplete" without ever going back to a space scene. I went straight to the Contract scene after loading the savegame. When I switched to the probe from the tracking station, the contract completed properly, having "rediscovered" that the parameters of the orbit were correct.

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the contracts that are being offered to me. I have the New Horizons Planet pack installed.

In my save file i have orbited Kerbin, Sonnah, The Mun, and Serran. DMagic has offered me the long term magnetic surveys of each which are currently running. The problem that i am having is that the only orbital survey that it is offering is of Minmus, which is now been relocated to be a moon of one of the other planets (not sure which, but it is a long way away).

It seems like the mag surveys are set up correctly by giving you contracts for planets that you have either orbited or are the "next step". Can you fix the orbital survey contracts?

Thanks

Kit

Edited by Paranoid Shark

DMagic,

So I figured it out. It's a bit of tricky wording that I was reading it incorrectly, in some places it reads as time remaining, other as total time needed. Could a countdown be added into the contract writing? I just got the message that two magnetic survey contracts had been completed so they definitely work. As a humble gamer, I apologize for thinking it was wrong on your end. Your mods are some of the best in the game!

JS

• 2 weeks later...
Hey there. I'm a potential new user of this mod, however I'm a bit concerned about science bloating. Is this mod balanced on this front, and what science modifier should I use, if I usually use between 50-60%? :)

use the Alt+F12 debug menu while in the R&D building and you can generate a report that tells you all the science you have available to collect. Add up what you need to fully unlock your tech tree and then compare. Modify your science intake percentage accordingly. I'm at 2.5% and I can still potentially generate 3x as much science as I need :P

use the Alt+F12 debug menu while in the R&D building and you can generate a report that tells you all the science you have available to collect. Add up what you need to fully unlock your tech tree and then compare. Modify your science intake percentage accordingly. I'm at 2.5% and I can still potentially generate 3x as much science as I need :P

Jeez how many science mods do you have installed? (And can I have links)

Good god man! Well I did it, and seems that I have 15 experiments (No idea where they are coming from, don't have any extras as far as I know, though I do have a lot of mods installed), and with some modifiers changed, I can generate 255,000 science. My techtree takes about 50,000. So a modifier of 50% would mean I need a bit less then half of all available science. Is that a good balance you think?

Hey there. I'm a potential new user of this mod, however I'm a bit concerned about science bloating. Is this mod balanced on this front, and what science modifier should I use, if I usually use between 50-60%? :)

It depends on how you play. Stock isn't really balanced for science at all, it is very easy to generate a lot of science points, but it relies heavily on using Kerbals and/or always carrying every available science instrument.

This is more about giving you options. For stock science you basically have to do manned missions, going through the tedious collect and store science data process, all the while getting huge amounts of science for crew reports, EVA reports, and surface samples. For unmanned missions you either have to accept the huge transmission losses or make sample return missions with loads of each instrument. I really hate both methods.

Orbital Science makes probes a more viable science gathering mechanism. It also gives you lots of options for which instruments to use, and there isn't really a need to revisit planets just to gather the science you missed on the first few trips.

There is still too much science, the last time I played was with 60% science returns. But that really depends on how you play; if you use science labs a lot, if you methodically extract science from every biome, if you rely on manned missions and surface samples, etc...

I can generate 255,000 science. My techtree takes about 50,000. So a modifier of 50% would mean I need a bit less then half of all available science. Is that a good balance you think?

That doesn't really mean anything though. Getting every scrap of science, from every biome, with each instrument (multiple times for most experiments) isn't really any fun (unless you like that sort of thing :wink:). So it's reasonable that the total amount of available science grossly outweighs the amount needed to unlock the tech tree. But you also have to account for asteroid samples, which give a huge amount for each sample and are unlimited, and the science lab, which also generates an unlimited amount of science, if you are patient enough.

So I wouldn't worry about how much science is available, just about how you play, and how much you want to have to accomplish before you can fully unlock the tech tree.

Edited by DMagic

It depends on how you play. Stock isn't really balanced for science at all, it is very easy to generate a lot of science points, but it relies heavily on using Kerbals and/or always carrying every available science instrument.

This is more about giving you options. For stock science you basically have to do manned missions, going through the tedious collect and store science data process, all the while getting huge amounts of science for crew reports, EVA reports, and surface samples. For unmanned missions you either have to accept the huge transmission losses or make sample return missions with loads of each instrument. I really hate both methods.

Orbital Science makes probes a more viable science gathering mechanism. It also gives you lots of options for which instruments to use, and there isn't really a need to revisit planets just to gather the science you missed on the first few trips.

There is still too much science, the last time I played was with 60% science returns. But that really depends on how you play; if you use science labs a lot, if you methodically extract science from every biome, if you rely on manned missions and surface samples, etc...

That doesn't really mean anything though. Getting every scrap of science, from every biome, with each instrument (multiple times for most experiments) isn't really any fun (unless you like that sort of thing :wink:). So it's reasonable that the total amount of available science grossly outweighs the amount needed to unlock the tech tree. But you also have to account for asteroid samples, which give a huge amount for each sample and are unlimited, and the science lab, which also generates an unlimited amount of science, if you are patient enough.

So I wouldn't worry about how much science is available, just about how you play, and how much you want to have to accomplish before you can fully unlock the tech tree.

Naturally thats the goal. I guess I'll try at 50% and see what happens :)