The KSC... is real?

Starwhip

I remember being so happy when I found the tower-obliterator mod... it removed the tower, and I think added the existing launch clamps.

I most certainly don't want a tower - but perhaps some nicer looking clamp systems instead. The ones we have were stand-ins that got adopted.

EDIT: also, I've been to the real KSC, are you jealous? I got to watch them prep an ISS cargo delivery module (or something like that) (from a distance, through a very thick window).

If you think about it, it makes total sense.

NASA is actually the successor of an ancient organisation founded by an old race that lived on earth many eons ago. Long before the solar system was the way it was today. Earth had two moons actually and jupiter was not red (yet). After humanity discovered the first remains of that ancient civilization, they startet their own rocket program (and named it KSC to honor those who came before) which will eventually lead to the discovery of time travel to meet our ancestors which in turn will lead to certain "easter eggs" on certain planetary bodies.

Yes, if you think about it, it does make sense. Really.

1) That's beautiful. Why can't our explosions be so spectacular?

2) Notice how regardless of the level of catastrophe, NASA calls it "an anomaly", even when the entire launch vehicle just blew up.

3) XD yeah, bad choice of parking spots. lol

1) You can always ignite some black powder in your room after every "anomaly". :P

2) Same thing with the media. Every time there's something devastating in front of the live camera, they act ignorant. I think it's stupid. What I'd like to hear is the stuff that news reporter screamed when Hindenburg ignited on the landing pad. Show some emotion, ya dumb twats! :D

3) I'd always take the basement parking lot.

1) That's beautiful. Why can't our explosions be so spectacular?

2) Notice how regardless of the level of catastrophe, NASA calls it "an anomaly", even when the entire launch vehicle just blew up.

3) XD yeah, bad choice of parking spots. lol

She announces the "anomaly" so cheerfully

She announces the "anomaly" so cheerfully

It's a typical annoying :mad: way of speaking encountered on a daily basis in the media. They finish every god damn sentence as they're posing a question. Come on, are you asking me or are you stating a fact?

Media, spokepersons, clerks, geez, what the hell is happening?!

Oh crap, they actually have a name for this!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uptalk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_rising_terminal

FFFFUUUUUUUU

There WAS a Launch Tower in KSP pre-0.19, then the Devs got rid of it :(

It was a pain in the ass when launching large rocket... sometimes you had parts clipping inside the launch tower, and exploding on liftoff.

So people were using the runway for those kind of launch. The devs solved that workaround by removing the tower.

It's a typical annoying :mad: way of speaking encountered on a daily basis in the media. They finish every god damn sentence as they're posing a question. Come on, are you asking me or are you stating a fact?

Media, spokepersons, clerks, geez, what the hell is happening?!

Oh crap, they actually have a name for this!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uptalk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_rising_terminal

FFFFUUUUUUUU

i learned something today

In fact, I think, this picture is not of a functioning VAB at all. Looks more like a museum.

Far as I remember, actual VABs have straight (or with generous curves) paths to launchpads. One cannot really turn stuff on a dime, when the transporter and the thing itself weighs many dozens of tons.

This picture is from the preparations of Apollo 7. That is a live Saturn V on the pad. This picture is of a real, functioning VAB/Launchpad. The wheels of the transporter can rotate 360 degrees, as well as the tracks in the ground having the ability to be shifted around/moved around.

This picture is from the preparations of Apollo 7. That is a live Saturn V on the pad. This picture is of a real, functioning VAB/Launchpad. The wheels of the transporter can rotate 360 degrees, as well as the tracks in the ground having the ability to be shifted around/moved around.

To be clear, the "transporter" (actually, Crawler Transporter) is a tracked vehicle; it doesn't have wheels. The Mobile Launch Platform (MLP) is carried by the CT. The road they ride on is called the crawler way. It is not a set of tracks. They cannot be "shifted around/moved around." Apollo 7 was a Saturn IB launched from a different launch complex entirely, LC 34, and didn't use the VAB, Crawler Transporter or Mobile Launch Platform at all. It was stacked in place on pad.

Edited by LameLefty

To be clear, the "transporter" (actually, Crawler Transporter) is a tracked vehicle; it doesn't have wheels. The Mobile Launch Platform (MLP) is carried by the CT. The road they ride on is called the crawler way. It is not a set of tracks. They cannot be "shifted/moved around. Apollo 7 was a Saturn IB launched from a different launch complex entirely, LC 34, and didn't use the VAB, Crawler Transporter or Mobile Launch Platform at all. It was stacked in place on pad.

Quoted a friend who seemed to know what he was talking about. That's what I get for quoting someone without doing my research first ;) Thanks for the clarification.

Quoted a friend who seemed to know what he was talking about. That's what I get for quoting someone without doing my research first ;) Thanks for the clarification.

Well, he was partly right. Just had a few things kind of mashed up together. :)

Many people don't realize there were actually 4 launch pads used for Apollo/Saturn flights: Launch Complex 34, Launch Complex 37 and Launch Complex 39. LC 34 and 37 were used for Saturn I and Saturn IB launches only. The VAB, CT and MLPs were used with LC39 (Pads A and B). There were ambitious plans for Pads C, D and even E but they were never built. The crawlerway has (or had, not sure if it's still there) a short stub just past the angled turn to Pad B that would have led to Pad C and beyond.

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.