HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement + Tutorial

Nazari1382

I had an idea to animate the settings of the emitter (like random velocity and size), then write a plugin to scroll through the animation (this affecting the settings of the emitter) depending on atmo pressure to make it so the exhaust expands, but KSP didn't even recognize the file exists as long as there was an animation in it. Deleted the animation and it worked just fine. :(

I'm wondering what the deal is with the smoke, actually. The stock particles look like the scale and slow down as they get further from the spawner, but there are no such options in the emitter. Do you have any ideas about that, Nazari?

I'm wondering what the deal is with the smoke, actually. The stock particles look like the scale and slow down as they get further from the spawner, but there are no such options in the emitter. Do you have any ideas about that, Nazari?

Yeah, there is no parameter for growth in the current one, but you can simulate it by animating color and decreasing alpha on each step.

do these particles collide with meshes?

because I like the idea of tooons of smoke billowing out onto the launch pad during my lifter stage

Not at the moment.

Has anyone else had the issue that when this mod is installed engines no longer propel other objects away from them?

I.e spent stages, debris, capsules, kerbals etc?

I uninstalled and my engines behaved normally again.

if anyone knows what to change in the config file to re enable this it would be appreciated, as my Minmus cannon is currently out of order

I still have no idea how to install these effects, can someone explain?

What engine are you trying to put them on ?

EDIT LOL Tell me about it hard to keep them strait have like close to 20 installs of KSP

Edited by Mecripp2

Well... As many as I can, they look truly fantastic.

I am an idiot... I was using a different KSP install from the mod folder I put them in.

Edited by JT2227
I am a complete failure.

In regards to the particle system, Nazari, have you had luck counter-acting this affect?

horizon61.jpg

Where the particles seem to pull apart a LOT, when at higher speed? I've tried pushing insane particles, like 15,000 particles, but it still does that blobby separation, it's aggravating! >_<

The pic is with "simulate world space" on right? That's causing bugs in its current form, so I wouldn't recommend it. I'm not sure what the best way to fight that will be, cause you see it in the stock stuff also.

Yeah, simulate world space is on for that one. But if it's off, the smoke moves with the rocket in a very stuff manner.

I'd probably be okay using the default FX node setup for the smoke, but that doesn't seem to work correctly if you've also got EFFECTS node setups.

I can't tell you how much I love this mod but can't bring myself to use it due to a bug. Engineer Redux doesn't calculate anything for the 2 stock solid boosters. Both the Rockomax BACC and RT-10 Solid Fuel Booster do not have any value calculated when Hot Rockets is installed. As soon as I remove it they calculate just fine. Any advice on how to resolve this? All the other stock engines calculate fine with Hot Rockets at least.

I should mention I am using the latest version of Kerbal Engineer which said it was fixed to support engines with FX added to them. Also using the latest Hot Rockets release. Excellent update on the poodle engine by the way. Hoping to see some cool smoke effects in future updates.

Edited by erona

Thanks for the reply Nazari. That totally makes sense since I didn't see anything in your config that would suggested SRBs were different than liquid engines. Hopefully engineer works that out. Keep up the good work!

OK, I've added the first version of some basic smoke effects with Sarbian's new SmokeScreen plugin. Leave me some feedback on them. They don't do anything crazy like collisions right now; I am going to try to keep HotRockets as performance-friendly as possible.

So does anyone have configs for the KW Engines? A number of posts back there was a config, but it mentions that something is not tuned, so I guess it's not complete. Searching for fully working ones, in case someone has done it before :)

As a side note - cfgs for the FTmN nuclear engines would also be cool :)

After testing the new smoke effects, I do really like them. They don't seem to lag at all, unless I switch collision on in the cfgs. The SRB plumes look amazing now. Well done Nazari!

Pics:

screenshot177.png

screenshot180.png

(rocket is at the very top of this image)

screenshot184.png

(with collision on, only time I noticed framerate issues)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.