Hello! I'm going to be running a local (LAN) Challenge - the "KSP Noob Build-Off"!

My local college is having a semi-competitive LAN party this Saturday. I've decided to try to run an event, called the "KSP Noob Build-Off".

The event is simple:

A group of players who have never played KSP will each be given identical computers, each with a configured 'Sandbox' install of the game. The ONLY mods installed will be Ferram Aerospace and Deadly Reentry.

Spectators will be seated behind the competitors. NO INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE GIVEN, other than the following:

"Welcome to Kerbal Space Program. The first player to land three or more Kerbals on the Mun, and return them ALL safely to Kerbin, wins.

How hard can Rocket Science be, anyway?"

If possible, I will compile and post a side-by-side video of the competition.

Considering like 50% of the player-base can't manage to land on the Mun at all, let alone return safely, I can't see this going well. Not to mention FAR and DR making it extra difficult.

I've participated in a couple lan competitions and showed a couple friends the game, and it took hours for them to get into a stable orbit even with my help. I can't imagine being thrust into the game with no knowledge of even the controls and trying to launch, let alone get to the Mun and back.

Considering like 50% of the player-base can't manage to land on the Mun

Is that right? That seems way off.

This would be so fun to watch! You should give them a list of hints before they start, and give a intro to the game (like how to move the camera, what the WASD keys do, how to build something etc.)

Or you could just skip that and see what happens

Is that right? That seems way off.

75.64% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Granted, it's kind of an educated guess. Really depends on what you define as the player-base. The forums show a slightly-better than Mun capable average, but in general forum users are the upper end of the skill bounds and usually the active forum users are a small minority compared to the main player-base. Extrapolating from there, it would probably be safe to say that 50% of people who play KSP fairly actively cannot with reliability score a Mun landing and return, especially with the aforementioned mods. Also, statistically speaking, the skill curve of players would probably put a majority below the "Mun-capable" mark.

Extrapolating from there, it would probably be safe to say that 50% of people who play KSP fairly actively cannot with reliability score a Mun landing and return

I don't know about that. I did a manned Mun landing and return successfully in the demo (with a ton of quicksaving and loading though), and I hadn't been playing that long before that. I had been watching YouTube videos (mostly playthroughs, not tutorials), but anyone else can do that too. Don't underestimate the power of Youtube tutorials combined with a noob with plenty of time.

Also, I would think that people would get tired of a space-themed game if they cannot easily land and return any other planetary body.

I think it would be safe to say that half of players don't land on bodies outside the Kerbin (and Mun and Minnimus) SOI though. I haven't done that yet, and I've been playing for a couple of months.

Doesn't really matter if none get to the mun and back. They can always be graded on how far they got. The first time I played I had trouble making orbit, true, but I did manage a stable orbit. If I can do it I'm sure that others can, too. I would suggest encouraging them to think small, though. Most first time players I see make these huge rockets that can't even get off the ground, let alone out of atmo.

Doesn't really matter if none get to the mun and back. They can always be graded on how far they got. The first time I played I had trouble making orbit, true, but I did manage a stable orbit. If I can do it I'm sure that others can, too. I would suggest encouraging them to think small, though. Most first time players I see make these huge rockets that can't even get off the ground, let alone out of atmo.

Orbit my first try on ksp i failed to get off the pad in any think outer than a body bag and barrenwaste has a good point with start small i woud give then a quick show and tell so thay now what to do but just covering the bare minimal build mode options I.E how to get fule in to rocket and the build more options and size

Deadly Re-entry? o.O.

It'd be really funny if one of them actually makes a successful SSTO spaceplane that splits in half and lands the ccokpit module appollo-style with 3 Kerbals.

But yeah, DRE is absolutely terrifying (not to mention stronger than realistic).

I gave KSP+FAR to someone and told them to make something flyable. It took them two hours just to make a rocket that could reach orbit under MY control. Under their's, it tended to blow itself to tiny pieces at about 15 km.

You don't even want to know what they tried to do in the SPH.

I suggest giving people this hint: Orange tanks do not make good wing surfaces.

Seriously, I think you forget how hard KSP is to new players. I needed several days to get to the mun and back. And I allways liked rockets - so I had some basic designs allready in my head and knew several ways to design a munshot (LOR, direct ascent).

But ferram and DE? You'll just see tons of frustrated people. I suggest you leave the mods and declare the fist one to get a living kerbal to the moon winner. This way there is a chance that you find a winner within hours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.