Work-in-Progress [WIP] Design Thread

GusTurbo

I heard about it somewhere, it's extremely bumpy.

Thinking like a true engineer. I wanted to rep you for this, but I have to spread some around first. :P

​Hey, Does anyone want some free rep?

The NRAM Griffon (P1)/(P2):

HADVguG.jpg

The ambition is to carry two orange fuel tanks to LKO - the prototype version manages 1 1/2 to a 100x100 orbit.

And of course, it flies with all the grace of a pregnant hippo. But it's pretty darn fast.

b1KdqgA.png

A utility mission for testing the concept:

j4iHKNq.png

Edited by Aanker

Well this is what i have been working on, an SSTO that carries a smaller plane into orbit which can then dock with an interplanetary engine and go across the cosmos, idk about the interplanetary engine though it looks ugly imo.

FE4AtKC.jpg

pGAfDU3.jpg

Edit:

Oh neato i think we are going to space on the test flight

AjiIyiZ.jpg

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

Well this is what i have been working on, an SSTO that carries a smaller plane into orbit which can then dock with an interplanetary engine and go across the cosmos, idk about the interplanetary engine though it looks ugly imo.

http://i.imgur.com/FE4AtKC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pGAfDU3.jpg

Edit:

Oh neato i think we are going to space on the test flight

http://i.imgur.com/AjiIyiZ.jpg

Ah, moving on to SATOs now I see :D

Ah, moving on to SATOs now I see :D

Yeah SATO seems to be the way to go i got the idea from the SATO i saw on the exchange the other day, its under 400 parts including the carrier craft (160 for just the smaller plane) so thats a bonus, admitted its still an SSTO :P it just carries what is basically a rocket there with it, 100% reusable anywho (the interplanetary engine is not reusable though, could refuel it i guess. its cheap anywho)

Getting the thrust vector right is a pain it seems, still not in orbit yet last attempt i snapped it doing my orbital turn lol

Well this is annoying, Do i have to turn literally every single fuel tank off on the smaller plane for it to not burn the fuel from it on the way to orbit?

I thought using a structural part between the docking port and the craft would stop the fuel flow but nope.

Edit:

Oh my god... why cant you disable cross feed while in the space plane hanger so its on the save file... lol..

Edit:

Oh.... well disabling the cross feed doesnt do anything... ive glitched something.

lfQznRz.jpg

On the bright side it turns out the carrier SSTO puts 89 tons in orbit... thats more than Cronus... I think i should probably name it, it deserves a name for that effort lol, heck you could probably strap a 120 ton craft to it and still get it to orbit.

Well this is annoying, Do i have to turn literally every single fuel tank off on the smaller plane for it to not burn the fuel from it on the way to orbit?

I thought using a structural part between the docking port and the craft would stop the fuel flow but nope.

Edit:

Oh my god... why cant you disable cross feed while in the space plane hanger so its on the save file... lol..

Edit:

Oh.... well disabling the cross feed doesnt do anything... ive glitched something.

http://i.imgur.com/lfQznRz.jpg

On the bright side it turns out the carrier SSTO puts 89 tons in orbit... thats more than Cronus... I think i should probably name it, it deserves a name for that effort lol, heck you could probably strap a 120 ton craft to it and still get it to orbit.

When a new design beats the old, it's time to make some names ! :D

Haha, high part count really means you need to try refresh your game every now and then

When a new design beats the old, it's time to make some names ! :D

Haha, high part count really means you need to try refresh your game every now and then

It really does lol though for me its honestly quite a low part count, 448 parts for 2 craft, thats normally just 1 for me haha :P

I need to learn to do things with less parts one day.

At least the little plane is under 180 parts and thats with i think 10,000m/s of delta v not including its ion engines. i am wanting to make that a VTOL though so it can land on muns and what not. that will add 20 or so parts

Just a Toyota

http://imgur.com/a/4PufB

I'd like to know what I can improve (e.g. front wheels are too wide) :)

Sir, you need more recognition :D

- - - Updated - - -

It really does lol though for me its honestly quite a low part count, 448 parts for 2 craft, thats normally just 1 for me haha :P

I need to learn to do things with less parts one day.

At least the little plane is under 180 parts and thats with i think 10,000m/s of delta v not including its ion engines. i am wanting to make that a VTOL though so it can land on muns and what not. that will add 20 or so parts

I have a question, how much ion engines are necessary? for a size of your craft typically?

Wew finally have the thrust angle right... that was a fiddly job... i don't like fiddly jobs if im honest.

eWG9Ul4.jpg

Looking at the TWR to CoL to CoM you would never think it would fly straight but perfectly stable lol, one of my easiest planes to fly if im honest (well.. as far as big ones go anywho)

6cFqHaa.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sir, you need more recognition :D

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question, how much ion engines are necessary? for a size of your craft typically?

ideally you want 1 for every 10 tons of craft, but 1 for every 15 tons is acceptable, otherwise you need too many batteries and too many solar arrays for it to be worth putting them on a craft.

ideally you want 1 for every 10 tons of craft, but 1 for every 15 tons is acceptable, otherwise you need too many batteries and too many solar arrays for it to be worth putting them on a craft.

Hmm, what's the best power source for something interplanetary?

Hmm, what's the best power source for something interplanetary?

hard to say, i always liked a combination of engines so that if i get impatient i can speed burns up, i like to go with some LFO for "IM SO BORED" moments, a nuke for long burns and ion engines for emergencies (when you run out of the good juice)

Basically i just over build things, No great reason to use more than one engine type other than for more usability, it normally lowers delta v.

If i am building rockets i normally just get lazy and overbuild it so i can use Rhinos or mainsails as interplanetary engines lol, impatience and all that. thats why rockets are no fun though... they are too easy.

God damn i edit comments alot....