What I would change in "What not to suggest"

Ok, I think two things in "what not to suggest" should't be there. First thing: links to the mods. If devs couldn't add things, that are already in mods, there wouldn't be any rover parts, space station parts etc. or any progress, because everything is already added in the mod. Second thing: New parts and tech trees: some of them are really orginal and could improve realism and gameplay.

Bear in mind that "what not to suggest" is not the same as "never going to happen". There are a lot of ideas out there that are really good ideas, and the devs know they are really good ideas, and are probably already thinking about how to make happen, that keep getting suggested over and over again. In fact, looking over the list, there are at least a couple of things that are planned features (or have at least been planned features at some point in the past), as well as some things that have been explicitly stated as "will not happen".

Bear in mind that "what not to suggest" is not the same as "never going to happen". There are a lot of ideas out there that are really good ideas, and the devs know they are really good ideas, and are probably already thinking about how to make happen, that keep getting suggested over and over again. In fact, looking over the list, there are at least a couple of things that are planned features (or have at least been planned features at some point in the past), as well as some things that have been explicitly stated as "will not happen".

Exactly. OP should be paying attention as it specifically states this.

Precisely. The WNTS list is not here to tell you what won't happen. It's simply a list of ideas that were a) suggested many, many times, and have been noted down by the devs and do not need to be suggested again B) are too vague and unprecise c) have been confirmed to not be in the game.

For this later state, you can identify it with ideas that are followed with an asterisk (*)

Links to mods are not there to say that the devs are not going to do it and that this is the replacement. The game is still in development. Links to mods are simply there to say "This item is on the wnts fore *reasons* but a modder has done this if you want to try it."

As for "more parts" this falls under the second clause. It's simply to vague. More parts wil be added eventually. Suggesting "mo4r parts pls" is not being of a huge help in many ways. But if you read the WNTS post carefully, you'll have noticed that precise and specific ideas are welcomed.

The WNTS List is not restricitve measure. The WNTS is there to inform you of which ideas have already been suggested or turned down, all of this in the goal of helping you guys find new and original ideas.

Sorry. didn't read the end, but about tech trees, you could do the same as you did with parts - if someone draw new tech tree that is better than the old one you souldn't close it. And i know that "What not to suggest" isn't here to tell what will not be implemented.

- if someone draw new tech tree that is better than the old one you souldn't close it

They wouldn't. People are free to modify the tech tree and to post their versions of it on here, as far as I know. What they don't want is people saying either "You guys should re-do the tech tree!" or "Here is a redone tech tree I made. You should make it stock!"

We have two lists here:

- What Not to Suggest - if you suggest it, your suggestion will be locked because we don't want to see such suggestions here

- Already Suggested - many people came with that many times already so if you do, it's not new and it won't change much

I believe these two lists should not overlap. WNTS list should IMO only contain things that were explicitly denied by developers as that means (usually) there's no point in suggesting them. I don't think anything else should be forbidden to be suggested. After all, if more people come with the same (or similar) suggestion is an indication that there's real interest in that feature in the community. By discouraging players to do so, you're getting rid of that useful indicator.

We have two lists here:

- What Not to Suggest - if you suggest it, your suggestion will be locked because we don't want to see such suggestions here

- Already Suggested - many people came with that many times already so if you do, it's not new and it won't change much

I believe these two lists should not overlap. WNTS list should IMO only contain things that were explicitly denied by developers as that means (usually) there's no point in suggesting them. I don't think anything else should be forbidden to be suggested. After all, if more people come with the same (or similar) suggestion is an indication that there's real interest in that feature in the community. By discouraging players to do so, you're getting rid of that useful indicator.

The WNTS and already suggested list are two different things.

The difference mainly lies within the fact that the already suggested list is an unofficial list that simply serves as a reference for links to posts of things that have been suggested a few times.

The WNTS is a list of things that we've heard enough of and that do not need to be suggested again.

The already suggested list is just a reference to go and contribute to the existing threads about an idea. It does not say "don't suggest this again", it says "here, if you had this idea, there's already a discussion about it going on". WNTS just says "we already know, keep brainstorming."

You are right that both should not overlap, and they don't so far IMO. One says "don't", the other says "go here".

It's also important to say that the WNTS has been aroudn for much much longer than the already suggested list. And again, the already suggested list was made to a request of Capt'n Skunky to have a repository of links to useful threads.

The WNTS and already suggested list are two different things.

The difference mainly lies within the fact that the already suggested list is an unofficial list that simply serves as a reference for links to posts of things that have been suggested a few times.

The WNTS is a list of things that we've heard enough of and that do not need to be suggested again.

The already suggested list is just a reference to go and contribute to the existing threads about an idea. It does not say "don't suggest this again", it says "here, if you had this idea, there's already a discussion about it going on". WNTS just says "we already know, keep brainstorming."

You are right that both should not overlap, and they don't so far IMO. One says "don't", the other says "go here".

It's also important to say that the WNTS has been aroudn for much much longer than the already suggested list. And again, the already suggested list was made to a request of Capt'n Skunky to have a repository of links to useful threads.

I don't see much difference between "we already know" and "here's more of this", because for both clearly there is certain prior discussion.

I also see locking a thread as a rough action and it definitely gives that feel of "shut up, this is not welcome here". Most of the WNTS thread does not link to prior suggestions, majority of links are to mods instead.

Already suggested list gives postitive feeling, while what not to suggest list gives negative feeling. Even though WNTS is here longer, I believe "already suggested" is better approach.

I also think that if you don't want to suppress discussion but want to keep suggestions clean, you could merge new instances of old suggestions instead of locking them. References in the "already suggested" list could be useful for that.

There is often little point in merging new suggestions into old, because a very large portion of the time the new suggestions are exact duplicates or even less detailed than previous suggestions. If they have something new to add, then sure, but other than that there really tends to be no point. We'd just end up with a very long thread with 90% of the posts being exact duplicates.

Things on the WNTS are also sometimes closed because they are a touchy topic and seem to always devolve into arguments (e.g., the whole multiplayer thing prior to Squad announcing it was a plan). Things that are planned may also be there to discourage generalised suggestions, but if (for example) someone came along with a really focused and detailed idea of how to implement certain facets of multiplayer (as opposed to simply saying "give us multiplayer"), then we would almost certainly leave it open.

Edited by vexx32

The main reason threads are being closed here if they are on the WNTS is simply to keep some form of order and cleaness.

This subforum is amongst the top five most active along with the general and addon forums. The devs are already quite busy. If the goal of this forum is to bring up new ideas, the amount of old and already known ideas has to be minimal for them to browse this forum easily when theyfind the time to.

If your interpretation of it is "shut up this isn't welcomed", you are quite wrong. I don't even see how that makes sense.

• 8 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.