Kerbal Space Program? Nope, Its Kerbal Slideshow Program.

NASAFanboy

Despite the warnings of my local computer technican, the carpenter who made my wooden computer desk, the local firehouse, and the sentient AI that inhabits the deep inner corners of my hard drive and RAM equipment, I decided to embark on a journey that would make Whackjob (One of my favorite KSPers), proud. Now, what was I thinking? My computer can barely handle my bitcoin mining operations, let alone KSP, let alone mining bitcoins while playing KSP. But still, I persisted, and during one quick break during my Bitcoin mining operation on a slow day when my fellow miners where bored and the hash wasn't that good nor the payout, I decided to set my plans into action.

I was to build a kilometer long spacestation. No, wait, it was two kilometers long. Anyways, I began to work on my first segment, one of the 20-segments that would make up the station. And this, my friend, is a top-down view of Segment-01. In total, it had 2000 parts (All them decorations on the outside hull that you can't see). The planned station would have around 20,000.

My Kerbolnauts where sick of sitting in little tin cans, either waiting for the moment they would don their spacesuits and jump out the airlock, or waiting for the moment they would die (More often the latter). So 99.9% of them want a stopover station where they can sleep/eat breakfast before embarking on Beyond-LKO missions. I comply, and build it in the VAB.

(Top down view of Segment-01. Note that this is only 75% of it, the other 25% goes beyond the VAB roof).

fBFoye0.png

Being the lazy person I am, I decided to Hyperedit it into orbit, not that I could've launched it anyways. So, right before I hit the launch button, KSP is already eating up a good number of my CPU percentage. However, as I clicked the launch button, I noticed something disturbing.

Firstly, my camera began to lag more than Internet Explorer on Windows Vista, followed by the game suddenly replacing my flag with that of a graphic of a Kerbal.

Since stuff like this doesn't happen all the time, I......just ignored it, then blamed it on the lag. Bad choice.

The game suddenly popped up a menu that claimed that I had no command pods on it. That's weird, since I put a total of three different command units on it along with enough electrical power to charge the iPhones of 100,000,000 American citizens with bloodshot eyes after a night of playing Flappy Bird. So I attempt to load.

Nothing happened. I try again. Nothing pops up, no GUI, no button, not even something that said "ERROR: COMPUTER WILL COMMIT SUICIDE IN 10..9..". It just loaded my ship again. And again. And again. So I flee to the Space Center, hoping to escape the Kraken that has clearly eaten the VAB. It takes around fifteen minutes to load Space Center screen. I decide to reenter VAB. And then.....

"Oops! KSP has crashed (Something something something blah blah blah 9/75/23 blah blah)."

Moral of the story?

There isn't one.

I shall build that 2KM station if its the last thing I do!

Then land it on Eve!

I personally challenge you to find a way to launch it into orbit. You've got the taste of the fun of the big builds... now all you need to cement that drive is a successful giant launch. :)

I'll get to that.

After that, I will ask NASA if I could borrow their computer.

That screenshot... how do you zoom out that far in the VAB? I have trouble building things with a couple of jumbo tanks...

You can use shift-scroll to move the camera up, use the middle mouse button to move the camera on the x and z axis.

I recommend fewer decorations. Use bigger parts where you can. 20,000 parts killing your computer is no surprise to me. I'm amazed KSP even attempted to load that.

And here's the crazy part: It is possible to have too many struts. I know from experience; sometimes sections of the ship need to "breathe" a bit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.