"Intermediate Caravan" Interplanetary Craft

Sauron

The Intermediate Caravan interplanetary exploration craft was developed in response to widespread public outrage at the KSA's excessive use of blutonium powered nuclear-thermal engines. KSA's insatiable demand for efficient engines was driving the price of this beloved food additive through the roof. The Intermediate Caravan powers it's 20 ion engines using much less tasty uranium instead. With over 12 km/s of delta-V unladen, it is easily capable of reaching any planet in the Kerbol system and returning (make sure to bring enough snacks for the crew!). Additionally, at just over 40 tons, the Intermediate Caravan is far lighter than nuclear thermal alternatives--finally, a use for those light launchers!

Download:

(a modified version using only stock and NFP parts. The only major change is the absence of the SXT service module. If you want that back it's easy enough to put back in.):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxt38msb8dzmvu3/Intermediate%20Caravan%20%28Release%20Version%29.craft

(Note that these screenshots are all in Alternis)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Mods in the version illustrated (as far as I can remember):

-NFP

-Aviation Lights

-Self-Ilumination Lights

-KSPX

-LackLusterLabs/SXT

-TAC Life Support

-RLA Stockalike

-KAS

-Somnambulic Aerospace Life Support Parts

-MechJeb

Mods in the supporting crafts (as far as I can remember):

-NFP

-Porkworks inflatable habs

-Self-Ilumination Lights

-LackLusterLabs/SXT

-TAC Life Support

-RLA Stockalike

-MechJeb

-Deadly Reentry

Mods in the LV:

-KW

-AEIS

Edited by Sauron

Updated with pictures of a Munar shakedown run testing the ship with ~35 tons payload including a logistics lander, a multipurpose lander, and a surface habitat. It's a tad wobbly carrying almost it's unloaded weight on 3 docking ports, but that was hardly unexpected. Obviously burns take a while (ion engines, yo!)

The good news is NFP ion engines are a touch beefier than stock (and eat much more power). Fully loaded the lowest TWR I got was around .09 (kerbin). Unloaded it's a very respectable .15. Which isn't terrible. Of course I'm only running that big reactor at ~65%--you could easily add more engines if you wanted a bit more juice.

Up next will be the long-range logistics module and a mission to a comet (not sure which one yet. I'll decide based on which one is more conveniently located :P). I haven't ever needed to test out how to deal with NFP reactors over the course of several years. Now's the chance to see how that works for me)

The good news is NFP ion engines are a touch beefier than stock (and eat much more power). Fully loaded the lowest TWR I got was around .09 (kerbin). Unloaded it's a very respectable .15. Which isn't terrible. Of course I'm only running that big reactor at ~65%--you could easily add more engines if you wanted a bit more juice.

Up next will be the long-range logistics module and a mission to a comet (not sure which one yet. I'll decide based on which one is more conveniently located :P). I haven't ever needed to test out how to deal with NFP reactors over the course of several years. Now's the chance to see how that works for me)

Which engines are you using? By the looks of it I'd guess HI-SNAPs. Word of warning, those are gonna get a thrust cut probably next update. I'd personally advise you to switch over to Hall thrusters. They give about the same power, just using argon instead, at least when next update rolls around that is, so you have some time. I do like those SXT landers.

Yeah, I know. But the argon tanks are ugly :P. Seriously, my choice of engines was informed entirely by the aesthetic concerns. And at a certain point I'm going to use MJ for large burns anyway. I'll still have a pretty ship and I can wander off and get some coffee or do my taxes (Yes. This happened. :confused:)

what mod is the little cluster thing in the second screenshot from?

If it's what I think you're looking at it's a multiple engine mount from the Near Future Propulsion Pack that's sitting on top of what looks like a few capacitors (also from NFPP) and some radial attach points behind the docking ports.

Also, I really enjoyed the gallery OP, nice work on the ships.

Edited by regex

Regex is correct on all counts--that's an NFP structural adapter with docking ports on capacitors arranged around a central core (those NFP structural parts are beautiful. I really wish there even more of them.)

Updated with the "Big Wizard" SSTOs used to launch those ICs and their cargoes to orbit along with the crew transfer vehicle.

It's super pretty! Would you mind if I used the design for an example NFP ship with the other mod packs stripped out? Credit would of course be given ;).

Regex is correct on all counts--that's an NFP structural adapter with docking ports on capacitors arranged around a central core (those NFP structural parts are beautiful. I really wish there even more of them.)

More will come!

I quite like the names too. I usually name my stuff something very dry, but Silverchain's ship names in his LackLustre Tour thread have inspired me to . I'm also particularly fond of "Digging Stick" and "Soothing Blue Hue"

EDIT: Well, the man himself is here :P I'll clean the .craft up such that it's all stock/NFP. That should make things easier.

Edited by Sauron

(This is also in the OP)

Please note that the release version looks slightly different than the one I'm using for my screenshots--it only uses NFP and stock in the interest of making it usable to the largest number of people/Nerta in particular. Replacing the SXT service module with the big 2.5m NFP battery isn't ideal, but if you don't like it, it's easy enough to put back in (and Lack's done a pretty good job of making SXT lightweight). Also, it is set up with decoupler as the root part to facilitate use as a sub-assembly and because getting the right attach node on the bottom is...difficult. Finally, it's worth pointing out that this was built with Editor Extensions. If you wanted to copy me instead of downloading the .craft you would need either EE or lots and lots of cubic struts. I avoided that in the interest of keeping part count to a civilized minimum.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxt38msb8dzmvu3/Intermediate%20Caravan%20%28Release%20Version%29.craft

Edited by Sauron

I'll put the supporting craft up when I can (but you'll need a fair number of mods to use them). The launchers are dead simple ~20 part 3.5m stacks--putting them up seems a bit silly, and unless you use FAR you aren't going anywhere near orbit with them in any case :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.