[0.24] Distant Object Enhancement 1.3.1 - Planets/satellites in the night sky! (7/29)

Rubber Ducky

Why would you want that? Isn't MOAR realism always good

No, because else we would all be playing Real Life instead of KSP. Realism is great and all, but it shouldn't come at the cost of gameplay.

No, because else we would all be playing Real Life instead of KSP. Realism is great and all, but it shouldn't come at the cost of gameplay.

But I couldn't see so far how this fading would in any way destroy the game play...

Anyway it is still good idea to make that also toggeable for those who don't like it

Edited by DasBananenbrot

hmm i tested the new version last night and it appears i was still getting the collision at roughly 3km. i am using a ton of mods so it may be these.

post your mod list we can help. i have around 80 mods/part of mods installed and could tell u which ones i have that work fine with it

raltalon check the .cfg think this is for it but nto sure

SkyboxBrightness

{

changeSkybox = True

maxBrightness = 0.3026316

}

I have a little question, I know everyone else it seems has been loving the dimming on the skybox, but I ask, is there anyway to disable the dimming? I've played with the settings a bit and I can't seem to disable the dimming.

Still an amazing mod anyways.

In the settings GUI in the space center (make sure you have Toolbar installed), toggle Dynamic Sky Dimming and set Max Sky Brightness to 100%, then apply.

In the settings GUI in the space center (make sure you have Toolbar installed), toggle Dynamic Sky Dimming and set Max Sky Brightness to 100%, then apply.

Toggle as in enable or disable?

I couldn't get the sun's skybox dimming to go away with both settings.

The sun dims the skybox in normal KSP as well, it's just a lot less noticeable.

Toggle as in enable or disable?

I couldn't get the sun's skybox dimming to go away with both settings.

The sun dims the skybox in normal KSP as well, it's just a lot less noticeable.

Try going into Settings.cfg and set changeSkybox to False, and maxBrightness to 1.0

Also make sure you've installed it correctly

@ Sidfu

Modlist (sorry im doing this from memory, currently at work - busy as lololol)

B9

CactEye

KAS

Visual Enhancements

Texture Reduction

Interstellar

HGR pods

RPM

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Procedural Fairings

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Hot Rockets

Universe Replacer

Thats it AFAIK - will update tonight

Edited by Seshins

@ Sidfu

Modlist (sorry im doing this from memory, currently at work - busy as lololol)

B9

CactEye

KAS

Visual Enhancements

Texture Reduction

Interstellar

HGR pods

RPM

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

Procedural Fairings

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Hot Rockets

Universe Replacer

Thats it AFAIK - will update tonight

i have all those mods but for hgr pods and hot rockets and universe replacer. also a bit of advice universe replacer will no longer be updated get texture replacer it does same thing and textur replacer supports univse replacer stuff and has more fetures like setting sepecific textures for certain kerbals and kerbals in eva on planewt with oxegen air remove their helmet

Is there a way you could use cubemaped impostors for all celestial objects outside of a certain range? This would actually provide even better graphics than using a dot, while improving performance by allowing objects up 100 pixels across to be easily replaced with impostors.

Ok, I didn't get a pic of it, because I was totally stunned, but I was just mucking about on the Mun, and I was startled by a shadow passing over me, and realized it was the shadow of my space station in Kerbin orbit. I have never experienced this before, and I don't think its in the stock game at all, and if that's from this mod. Holy Cow. It was amazing!

Is it possible to dim the skybox based on the lighting of your vessel? I.e. when you are looking away from a planet towards your vessel, but the vessel is lit by sunlight. Compare:

That would indeed look cool -- but the image has more to do with the camera/exposure than the *actual* lighting. :) I do like the idea of general lighting tweaks, though.

Is it a known issue that planets/vessel flares "tear" a bit or lag in position relative to the skybox when zooming quickly with the mouse wheel?

Yeah, just an issue with how the flares are rendered. That will hopefully be rehauled next update.

That would indeed look cool -- but the image has more to do with the camera/exposure than the *actual* lighting. :) I do like the idea of general lighting tweaks, though.

I don't think it's a practical proposal. That way, you would never be able to see the stars. Either you look at the lit side of your vessel, or in the general direction of the sun.

And yes, the dynamic range of photographs is much smaller than what your eyes can see.

So I have this debris field...

http://i.imgur.com/wIsrU7x.png

And then Iadded this mod, took a Soyuz out for a spin and...

http://i.imgur.com/hwAUn2m.png

Lovin' it all the way! :D

Good god, it reminds me of that debris field in Gravity! That being said, this is a fantastic mod, which I hope to see in stock one day.

Ok, I didn't get a pic of it, because I was totally stunned, but I was just mucking about on the Mun, and I was startled by a shadow passing over me, and realized it was the shadow of my space station in Kerbin orbit. I have never experienced this before, and I don't think its in the stock game at all, and if that's from this mod. Holy Cow. It was amazing!

in KERBIN orbit? As in not orbiting the Mün? How is that even possible, I thought this mod only rendered ships 750k away (and the Mün is a lot farther than that)?

anyways, long as I'm here, might as well add to the chorus. Something so minor can be so awesome, and I haven't even futzed with it that much yet. I might actually have to stop avoiding night launches.:cool:

Would it be too much of a stretch to extend this functionality to landed objects? That way you can establish bases, and see lit dots on the ground corresponding with their location at night time?