Hey there! I'm (Slightly) New!

Gabe1012

Hello! I'm new to the forum, I have been playing KSP for a month now and I really like it, I have my first module for the K-1 Station and have a satellite network, I have also sent a science probe to Minmus:), so I'm slightly better than I was before (My rockets would explode at 3000m;.; ) I would like to ask if anyone has advice on making interplanetary progress (Such as going to Duna or Eve) Thanks

Gabe out:)

Hello and welcome in this Forum, i'm also new myself.

Do you play Career or Sandbox? If career, do alot of missions to mun and minmus, like orbiting and landing. explore different biomes on them, this will give you hell-lotta science. after this, send probes to different planets and send the science back to kerbal, so you dont have the need to bring them back, but you also won't lose any kerbals.

Do all this Stuff until you have atomic engines, you will need them to do interplanetary mission.

I just had a manned flyby on duna last week and i went all this way through career, but so i learned alot of the techniques in KSP.

And last but not least: Look for Scott Manley on Youtube. He made a whole KSP Tutorial section and he is literally a KSP god...

So, have fun and I hope I could help you with your problems

MarkedOne out

Hi there :) and welcome to our community :)

Interplanetary "level" is actually pretty hard to achieve if you're new, but you've correctly pointed out two places that are easiest to begin with - Duna and Eve (although Eve is sort of a one way trip, because of it's dense atmosphere)...

Now to get to the advice :) First of all, you should try to land quite a lot of missions on the Mün and the Minmus, as you will really need to be confident about orbital maneuvers and landings... then I would suggest trying to get to the orbit of the Mün and getting to the Minmus from there (as it's the same mechanics as you're gonna use while traveling from Kerbin to other planet around the Sun)...

Then you're good to go interplanetary :) my opinion on interplanetary designs is, that you should make a good use of NERVAs (nuclear engines) as they are the most efficient engines in the game and you'll get the most dV out of them... try experimenting with the designs using these, until you get familiar with it...

SPOILER

For example, I use one wide fuel tank (half the size of the orange one), then I strap 4 of one meter wide long tanks on the sides and NERVAs to the bottom of each of those... that's my interplanetary stage... :) and then I do similar thing with the lander, where I use symetry of two of those engines (that's enough)... I get more than 8k dV including science instruments with this setup :)

Edited by Fyzzi

thank you both for advice, to MarkedOne, I play both sandbox and career, my main game is career and the place where I design the craziest things I can is the sandbox file (Insert nuclear jet hybrid rocket with asparagus and a self destruct function here) And to Fyzzi, thank you for the advice on travelling to other planets, I appreciate that people would like to help me, I am working my way through the tech tree and I am at the Larger rocket parts now (First node for large fuel tanks) and hope that by next week I have access to nuclear propulsion,(If you were wondering I do have mechjeb just for executing nodes, I always miss them) thank you both for your help!

Also, if you want to maneuver manually, download the Plugin Kerbal Alarm Clock. It slows the game down shortly before several events, eg. Maneuver notes. It try saved me some kerbals.

Also, i suggest to learn how to fly maneuver notes manually. It is really not that hard, trust me :)

Also, the big plus in satisfaction when you fly and land a mission all by yourself is truly worth the struggles in learning and flying it all by yourself.

If you have any questions, just PN me if you want to ;)

hello and welcome.

I am also new in this forum but played since 0.20.

My first interplanetary missions was to put satellites to Duna, Eve and there moons.

I think thats a good beginning before started manned. Cos satellites are mostly just a one-way mission.

Welcome to the forums, and glad to hear that you've been enjoying the game :)

In general, don't be afraid to ask questions here on the forums. As you've already seen, this community is full of fellow players who have been in your shoes before and might be able to provide pointers to help you get out of a sticky situation. Also, I try to maintain a little list of tutorials and resources called the Drawing Board (conveniently linked in my signature), many of which have been created specifically with interplanetary travel in mind. Feel free to check them out.

Hope this helps!

Sounds like your at exactly the same stage as me- I have two probes on the way to Duna as we speak. It's taking a few tries as 1) I'm only using FL size rockets 2) I didn't take notes during the Manley tutorial and 3) I was trying to watch GOT S 3 at the same time and kept missing nodes!