[1.0.5] Advanced Jet Engine v2.6.1 - Feb 1

camlost

You delete the parts that change propellants. That will leave the existing stuff untouched.

How do you add the ability to use RF for engines not currently supported by RF? And if I wanted to change an existing engine from the TT VTOL engine pack to mimic the VTOL engine for the YAK-141 how would I go about doing that?

Camlost here is that problem I am having with the P&W PT6 Turboprop. It is listed at 150kn or 675hp at take off. It at best kicks out 6.7-7kn of thrust. Is this what it is supposed to do? The PT6 is rated from 550hp to over 1000lb depending on the application.

IsHKJAJ.jpg

As seen in this picture.

Edited by Hodo

Excuse me, how do I make the manual patch to avoid using RealFuels exactly? Do I just substitute the names, or do I need to change the mixture ratio also?

Only if you want to use SABRE or RAPIER. You can find them in B9_SABRE.cfg and AJE.cfg and change it back to liquidfuel and oxidizer. Other engines are adaptive.

Camlost here is that problem I am having with the P&W PT6 Turboprop. It is listed at 150kn or 675hp at take off. It at best kicks out 6.7-7kn of thrust. Is this what it is supposed to do? The PT6 is rated from 550hp to over 1000lb depending on the application.

There's no way a propeller driven by a 600hp engine producing 150kN of thrust. Suppose you travel at 10m/s, then the power output would be 1500kW>600hp

Some of my engines are bugged, in the VAB or SPH they shoot out particles from the bottom and the side, Common problem / easy fix?

Probably one of your mods like tweakable everything don't support ModuleEngineFX and you have HotRockets which uses ModuleEngineFX

There's no way a propeller driven by a 600hp engine producing 150kN of thrust. Suppose you travel at 10m/s, then the power output would be 1500kW>600hp

I think I said that wrong or you read it wrong. What I am saying is in the SPH the engine is listed as 150kn. But it actually barely cranks out 7kn of thrust. Some of the electric engines create more thrust. Shouldn't it create more thrust then 7kn of thrust at sea level. It is the engine that powers this.....

TwinOtter-Viking-Photo3.jpg

150kN is just a eye-balled number which is ridiculously overpowering if the engine is a PT6A. Why do you assume 7kN is too little? The twin otter weighs about 5 tons only.

150kN is just a eye-balled number which is ridiculously overpowering if the engine is a PT6A. Why do you assume 7kN is too little? The twin otter weighs about 5 tons only.

The thing is I think the engine you have made in game is the PT6A which is horribly underpowered for KSP RO, mainly because the parts weights are so high. Perhaps the later more powerful, PT6A-60?

Wait.... it just hit me....

Tech scale it like the boosters in RO!!!! So you can choose the power application you need.

removing tweakable everything seems to have made the particles coming out of the side go away, But still they particles coming out of the bottom are there. And I noticed that all my b9 engines don't show any engine module.

Not reporting this as a bug or anything, just trying to figure out the incompatability the easy way.

Edit : Ok, removing tweakable everything fixes all the stock model engines. The b9 engines are still acting odd.

Edited by Subcidal

removing tweakable everything seems to have made the particles coming out of the side go away, But still they particles coming out of the bottom are there. And I noticed that all my b9 engines don't show any engine module.

Not reporting this as a bug or anything, just trying to figure out the incompatability the easy way.

Tweakable everything broke my install I had to reinstall the game, even when I tried to remove it it still caused issues. What other mods are you running?

Tweakable everything broke my install I had to reinstall the game, even when I tried to remove it it still caused issues. What other mods are you running?

A lot.. haha. http://i.imgur.com/VCAg7t9.jpg

I noticed removing tweakable everything fixed all of my engines using the stock models. But my b9 engines are still shooting out particles / have no engine module. Could it be from the .cfg i deleted due to the lack of hotrockets?

A lot.. haha. http://i.imgur.com/VCAg7t9.jpg

I noticed removing tweakable everything fixed all of my engines using the stock models. But my b9 engines are still shooting out particles / have no engine module. Could it be from the .cfg i deleted due to the lack of hotrockets?

That could be it. Hotrockets I think is a requirement.

Hodo: camlost never got around to changing the display max thrusts of the engines (camlost: you really should, it'll save a lot of support headaches). 7kN sounds about right. And remember that's thrust at 0mph; props lose thrust rapidly as speed increases. You should be able to get about 150m/s tops out of two of those engines on a 5-ton craft.

Hodo: camlost never got around to changing the display max thrusts of the engines (camlost: you really should, it'll save a lot of support headaches). 7kN sounds about right. And remember that's thrust at 0mph; props lose thrust rapidly as speed increases. You should be able to get about 150m/s tops out of two of those engines on a 5-ton craft.

Would it be possible to add the tech advancement to the AJE system like with RSS/RO? So if I wanted to use the small PT6A I could but if I wanted the more powerful PT6A-35 I could switch it in the config tab?

Quite hard, actually. It would probably be easier if camlost implemented support for switchable AJEModules, since that's what would be going on (the whole module swapped out and replaced--it's not like rockets where there's just three things to change, thrust, Isp, and fuel).

OK, I think I could finally have found how much realism is too real for me... after getting a decent understanding of FAR aerodynamics and building me a nice clean jet + rocket SSTO, I decided to install AJE, and it promptly turned into an anemic poor thing that can't even break the sound barrier without starting to worry about fuel.

Could someone show me what kind of designs are required to get SSTO with real jets, just so that I have an idea of the scale? On Kerbin, of course I'm not even trying in RSS.

OK, I think I could finally have found how much realism is too real for me... after getting a decent understanding of FAR aerodynamics and building me a nice clean jet + rocket SSTO, I decided to install AJE, and it promptly turned into an anemic poor thing that can't even break the sound barrier without starting to worry about fuel.

Could someone show me what kind of designs are required to get SSTO with real jets, just so that I have an idea of the scale? On Kerbin, of course I'm not even trying in RSS.

Why not show some pictures? I uploaded a A-12 like plane to test J58s about a month ago in this thread, which was capable of cruising at Mach 3.5 for 2000km

I don't have any pictures of SSTOs that use AJE, because I dont use it when I was playing stock sized Kerbin.

But here is a mach 2 aircraft that can cruise for a few hundred if not a thousand miles on RSS/RO.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

But the trick with AJE is finding that balance of air inlet size + engine thrust at altitude and speed vs mass + drag of the aircraft at that speed and altitude.

Now that I have refined some of my designs down a bit, I am feeling more confident at attempting another SSTO in RSS/RO using AJE. And I feel that after a week of testing the SABRE or RAPIER, I can find that balance if not just use a Aerospike rocket.

So with some inadvertent advice by Nathan Kell, I found if I built a fighter using the F-16C as a base for weight and fuel load. You can build a fighter that is very close in performance at the same mass.

QSNwQpU.jpg

But there is one question about intakes Camlost.

The larger Variable Geometry Intakes take in less air then the supersonic inlets which are smaller.

YJikPFB.jpg

With just the outer VG Intakes the engine has 54% of the required air. But the Supersonic inlets which are the smaller ones, take it over the 100% required air intake.

So with some inadvertent advice by Nathan Kell, I found if I built a fighter using the F-16C as a base for weight and fuel load. You can build a fighter that is very close in performance at the same mass.

http://i.imgur.com/QSNwQpU.jpg

But there is one question about intakes Camlost.

The larger Variable Geometry Intakes take in less air then the supersonic inlets which are smaller.

http://i.imgur.com/YJikPFB.jpg

With just the outer VG Intakes the engine has 54% of the required air. But the Supersonic inlets which are the smaller ones, take it over the 100% required air intake.

Good that you reminded me. It's a bug in the inlet MM patch. The same intake appears 3 times, so it gets 3 times the intake area. You can fix it by removing the other 2 duplicate entries.