[1.0.5] Advanced Jet Engine v2.6.1 - Feb 1

camlost

At the wing root, between the intake and wing itself. Oh, and I did pull 15G with the Dagger at low Q, but if you're not careful, it can quickly accelerate to speeds where it's much higher. :) The original design I had for it included wet wings, so it would've been less overpowered and had more range. It's a medium fighter, and not my largest design, either (I'm waiting for VTOL hinges for the heavy one, though).

At the wing root, between the intake and wing itself. Oh, and I did pull 15G with the Dagger at low Q, but if you're not careful, it can quickly accelerate to speeds where it's much higher. :) The original design I had for it included wet wings, so it would've been less overpowered and had more range. It's a medium fighter, and not my largest design, either (I'm waiting for VTOL hinges for the heavy one, though).

I have tried the fuel in the wings yet, is there a plugin for that, and does it work in FAR+RO?

And I haven't had that problem of my gun comming off at speed. And 15Gs in DRE is suicide for most pilots.

You can see where the guns are mounted on this fighter and they stay VERY much in place.

YjukeB6.jpg

SOOO if 14 gs is suicide then whats 42?......yes i had a plane that pulled 42 gs before feram supported failures.... had to put a prob core on it to fly longer then one turn :D

Javascript is disabled. View full album

here is the craft file if you want.

needed mods

D12 aero tech and B9

I also think it has burn together on it too. :)

PS its a VTOL too

its also an old craft file so it may need some tweaking to perform its best now.

CRAP! scratch that when D12 updated it killed the craft file :( here is a version that works with out the drop tanks and updated to the new AJE and with out Burn together. :) same link

Edited by Tidus Klein

SOOO if 14 gs is suicide then whats 42?......yes i had a plane that pulled 42 gs before feram supported failures.... had to put a prob core on it to fly longer then one turn :D

Are you running DRE-C because 42gs will kill the crew. 42g's will kill almost anything living.

http://imgur.com/a/8MfTb

here is the craft file if you want.

needed mods

D12 aero tech and B9

I also think it has burn together on it too. :)

PS its a VTOL too

its also an old craft file so it may need some tweaking to perform its best now.

CRAP! scratch that when D12 updated it killed the craft file :( here is a version that works with out the drop tanks and updated to the new AJE and with out Burn together. :) same link

Downloaded your craft, and tested it.

It wont survive 6Gs, and has REALLY short range. I mean minutes at best.

Eq4r4CK.jpg

dp88qlO.jpg

Your craft was not built in RO.

But it is a nice craft, with modifications it could be a great craft.

Edited by Hodo

Camlost or NathenKell perhaps you two would be so kind as to do the RF+AJE cfg for these three engines which are very much like real life engines.

nLSJTtX.jpg

Which is like the Soyuz R-79V-300 used on the Yak-141.

LGPLDcU.jpg

RKBM RD-41 also from the Yak-141.

2q1p5Kq.jpg

Rolls-Royce F402-RR-408 from the AV-8B Harrier II.

I have tried to figure all that stuff out but I admit that is over my head.

Camlost, I just installed Firespitter and noticed CH-53 is also included in there, leading to redundancy. Could you change the D-12 rotor to Mi-26 one?

Downloaded your craft, and tested it.

It wont survive 6Gs, and has REALLY short range. I mean minutes at best.

http://i.imgur.com/Eq4r4CK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dp88qlO.jpg

Your craft was not built in RO.

But it is a nice craft, with modifications it could be a great craft.

I told you that it only handled 48 gs with fars aerodynamic failures off :) it was an old craft

in other words it was made in a time with out AJE and wing failures.....I do how ever have a WW2 style prop plane that way more up to date and pulls 20 gs in extreme turns and 12 in high speed turns with an average of 10. :) top speed is 380 mph... 400 with out all the extras :D also its just fun to fly

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Tidus Klein

Camlost, I just installed Firespitter and noticed CH-53 is also included in there, leading to redundancy. Could you change the D-12 rotor to Mi-26 one?

Mi-26 is way too big for SPH

Do you think anyone cares? :) RSS allows you to exceed the limits of VAB and SPH, and this mod is for RSS. Also, 6-blade rotors are notoriously rare, and restricted to very big helos. Mi-26 and CH-53 are the only "important" ones I found, and we've already got a CH-53 rotor...

Dubya Tee Eff, mate

wtfaje.jpg

I know this was working the last time I had to fly an aircraft, which was on 5/27. Since then I've updated both AJE and RF, so those were the first things I tried reverting back to. No luck. Then I removed Tweakable Everything since I knew that's had some issues with this mod (sparks and smoke emissions in the SPH). Still no thrust or fuel flow.

[6/19/14] Final Frontier (Update)

[6/18/14] Mission Controller Extended (Update)

[6/17/14] Procedural Fairings (Update)

[6/16/14] KSP Alternate Resource Panel (Update)

[6/16/14] Infernal Robotics (Updated)

[6/13/14] Stockalike parts for useful esthetics (New)

[6/11/14] Kethane Pack (Update)

[6/11/14] Rover Wheel Sounds (New)

[6/11/14] Action Groups Extended (New)

[6/10/14] Bahamuto Dynamics (New)

[6/9/14] Kerbal Alarm Clock (Update)

[6/9/14] Connected Living Space (Update)

[6/7/14] Better Rovemates

[6/7/14] Rover Science (New)

[6/7/14] Stock eXTension (New)

[6/7/14] Lack Luster Labs (New)

[6/7/14] DMagic Orbital Science (Update)

[6/7/14] Hullcam VDS (Update)

[6/6/14] StripSymmetry (Update)

[6/6/14] Flight Manager for Reusable Stages (Update)

[6/6/14] Texture Replacer (Update)

[6/4/14] MU-4 Outrigger Frame

[5/31/14] Near Future (Update)

[5/30/14] VOID (Update)

[5/29/14] Ship Manifest (Update)

Any ideas?

Edit:

SON OF A ******** THIS THING NEEDS AIR INTAKES NOW?!??!?!!??!?!

So I originally posted this as I was going to bed but it was really bugging me so I got up and removed all the mods I listed above. Still no thrust. Then I removed everything except AJE, RF and the parts needed for that test aircraft. Still no thrust. Then I decided to try to add air intakes. Why didn't I think of this before? Well, because this engine did not need any air intakes to function the last time I flew it. The fact that it needs intakes now doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is that I checked the blasted propellants requirements in the SPH part listing and it didn't say anything about air intake resource needed to run this engine. Just kerosene. Which brings me back to my complaint about this mod I made a few weeks ago about the fact that the part details are worthless and it seriously affects the ability to build things with these engines!

I'm really pissed at wasting several hours figuring this out.

Further edit: I've cooled off a bit. It might not be possible to add an Intake Air resource to the part if AJE does all that modeling itself. Still, the description field lets you write anything you want with it. At least there it could mention that air intakes are needed for this engine to run!

Edited by Gaiiden

I feel pretty stupid for asking this, but what is the advantage to using more intakes with AJE? When I first downloaded it a while ago, engines didn't even need one anymore. Does it still allow planes to maybe fly in less dense air provided they have enough lift to actually fly?

Yes... Your TPR thou drops with speed and angle of attack. The the lower the TPR the less thrust you get.

And then the higher you go the less thrust the engine produces in the first place.

Engines also need a certain intake area to run at top performance, any thing under 100 % means thrust loss.

All these states can be seen on the engine in the SPH or in flight. The advantage to have more intakes of a different kind would be higher TPR at low and high speeds :)

But once you have 100% Intake area for the engine any other intakes are just dead weight.

Edited by Tidus Klein

Did you have real fuels installed?

because the rapier and the sabers both consume non stock fuel, and for some reason MM dosent like to load nonexistent resources.

go in and change the resources for the rapier and sabers to liquid fuel and oxidizer where needed....it will load then:)

Does this mod work with nuclear thermal ramjets (100% air, no combustion fuel?) If so, what configuration would I need to make a switchable nuclear thermal ramjet / hydrogen closed-cycle rocket?

Yes... Your TPR thou drops with speed and angle of attack. The the lower the TPR the less thrust you get.

And then the higher you go the less thrust the engine produces in the first place.

Engines also need a certain intake area to run at top performance, any thing under 100 % means thrust loss.

All these states can be seen on the engine in the SPH or in flight. The advantage to have more intakes of a different kind would be higher TPR at low and high speeds :)

But once you have 100% Intake area for the engine any other intakes are just dead weight.

100% intake area if you want want full power, but sometimes reduced power is needed. I shoot for anything above 75%.

Did you have real fuels installed?

because the rapier and the sabers both consume non stock fuel, and for some reason MM dosent like to load nonexistent resources.

go in and change the resources for the rapier and sabers to liquid fuel and oxidizer where needed....it will load then:)

It works! :)

-Duxwing

@Hodo, I'll add them in the future

@Dragon01, will add as a duplicate

@ialdabaoth. I guess it's possible to have a nuclear turbojet or ramjet. Basically you need

1) a resource type for nuclear fuel

2) figure out the fhv(specific heat). For default, kerosene fhv=18600, which is in some imperial unit

3) specify useOxygen = false . This is not supported yet, but I'll add it

BTU/lb. 1 Btu/lb = 2,326.1 J/kg = 0.55556 kcal/kg

camlost: noticed a couple typos in the cfgs. It's Pratt and Whitney (one T) and Packard (note the C).

Also, I'm a bit confused by your FS prop engine choices: you have the JustBlades (a prop with no spinner, used on radials) as an inline engine, and the two Lancaster engine pods (inlines) as radials...

Enjoying the intake support!

A note: found this; you doubtless have better sources, but it's a nice comparison.

TWUDq.jpg

EDIT: ALSO ALSO could you maybe put this up on github (or something)? Makes pull requests easier :D

Edited by NathanKell