Pteron Micro Shuttle and rescue vehicle Beta download available(9/9/2014)

Sage Sagan

FREEMAN, I've had success making docking ports work that point different directions - the trick to doing so is to use TWO nodes -

a nodeTransformName where the blue axis points out into space, and a controlTransformName where the green axis points into space. I've even animated the controlTransformName so you could orient the ship's control different ways for different flight modes.

Yeah, I saw your youtube video showing that animation. I thought it was pretty clever.

This shuttle is an excellent concept! sure it IS a vehicle we need for career mode. Not only for rescue.

Now some notes about test flight. The issue with dock is already reported here, i've occured the same. hope it is fixable.

Wings. They are looking really nice, but ailerons are not visually working. Also it seems they (wings) have not enough lift. for stable landing glideslope i need to fire OMS and RCS engines to keep some stable speed over 70 m/s. And lift is not enough for fast recovery from dive. Of cource, shuttle is not a dogfighter, but it would be better if their performance become slightly higher. =)

It would be excellent also to have some airbrakes and flaps on them. Especially flaps, to create more lift on lowspeed landing.

other seems to be gorgeous. wirh new stock OMS craft is capable of returning and landing on Kerbin almost from spacestation at lunar orbit. Of cource if you have plotted a one return orbit with periapsis ~30km and you are ready to sustend some 30g force on reentry =)

This shuttle is an excellent concept! sure it IS a vehicle we need for career mode. Not only for rescue.

Now some notes about test flight. The issue with dock is already reported here, i've occured the same. hope it is fixable.

Wings. They are looking really nice, but ailerons are not visually working. Also it seems they (wings) have not enough lift. for stable landing glideslope i need to fire OMS and RCS engines to keep some stable speed over 70 m/s. And lift is not enough for fast recovery from dive. Of cource, shuttle is not a dogfighter, but it would be better if their performance become slightly higher. =)

It would be excellent also to have some airbrakes and flaps on them. Especially flaps, to create more lift on lowspeed landing.

other seems to be gorgeous. wirh new stock OMS craft is capable of returning and landing on Kerbin almost from spacestation at lunar orbit. Of cource if you have plotted a one return orbit with periapsis ~30km and you are ready to sustend some 30g force on reentry =)

i saw the alierons don't work and there isn't enough lift too. i found something else too. the front wheel when retracted seems to have a mesh that still collides with the floor and when i've tried raising my gear to speed my slowdown on the ground it seems to drag along (retracted) and also get ripped out :P

Disregarding the Port Issue for now, I textured the engine. It is wildly spinning though. It seems like the CoM should be adjusted a little bit lower or some other fix is needed.

Of cource it will spin. And if you lower the CoM, you will unbalance all the rocket.

the CoM must be on the fore-and-aft (longitudinal) axis of craft. And the OMS must be left and right on the same level (see Space Shuttle OMS).

Next thing. The nozzles do must have some fairings if you do not want to have them molten during the supersonic reentry =) Also see Space Shuttle or Buran. If you want the craft to look more Sci-Fi, you can put OMS on top of the rudders, if you want everything to look more realistic - put them radially on fuselage. Anyway, i repeat, they must be on the same level as CoM, and it must be on the longitudinal axis.

Of cource it will spin. And if you lower the CoM, you will unbalance all the rocket.

the CoM must be on the fore-and-aft (longitudinal) axis of craft. And the OMS must be left and right on the same level (see Space Shuttle OMS).

Next thing. The nozzles do must have some fairings if you do not want to have them molten during the supersonic reentry =) Also see Space Shuttle or Buran. If you want the craft to look more Sci-Fi, you can put OMS on top of the rudders, if you want everything to look more realistic - put them radially on fuselage. Anyway, i repeat, they must be on the same level as CoM, and it must be on the longitudinal axis.

Thanks for the useful information but maybe I'll stick to bare engines disregarding the realism on reentry completely since it is the original plan. I'll just change it if the plan changes.

They could just have high gimbal levels

Like the shuttles :P

I checked the docking port I made, its docking node is intact and also rotated but it seems like it happens to all. So is the issue not attaching or is it just flying when you undock? Just to clarify.

This is an awesome little thing! I can't seem to get my kerbals out of it though. The crew hatch doesn't appear to work (or I can't click it!) And the docking collar detaches from the wrong side.

Just downloaded this, and at the moment, it seems to roll very weirdly when flying in atmo... Rolling always seems to induce a large amount of sideslip... Is this a problem? or is it meant to be like this?

so wait this does work right?

It "works" in the sense that I have stack launched to orbit and glided back to KSP,it does handle a little oddly so requires careful piloting. NEAR/FAR are not yet supported. Also I just noticed some incompatibility with the new Firespitter, texture weirdness.

Someone asked me to make a scaled version of it.

It was fun to fly it, but the front gear can be really annoying...

Here's a shuttle I built with the pteron in 2x scale. All other parts are stock.

(Sadly no in game sound and I also forgot to adjust the gamma level.)

Edited by slumpie