In-Game Biome Maps/Locator Part

Okay, so I had an interesting idea: either a Biome-Scanner sort of part, or biome maps accessible in the IVA!

Usually, EVAs on extra-Kerbinary bodies is a bit dull, usually the only things you are able to do (minus KAS) is to plant a flag and collect a surface sample. In real life, however, the astronauts who went to the Moon would take grab samples from multiple locations for study back on Earth. I would like to be able, if the option to take multiple Science-yielding surface samples in KSP were never pushed, to know where the borders of the different biomes are so I can plan landings accordingly.

Using this tactic, one good EVA can provide multiple surface samples for more Science. Plus, in my opinion, it would make EVAs more important and a bit more realistic as well.

Whaddaya guys think?

Link removed by Moderator. Site has been hacked and is no longer safe.

just set it on biomes, and hopefully you have a second moniter to put it on...

or alternatively you can get an in-game equivilant (does same thing), it was called nav sat or something... (a mod)

Well as far as not pushing surface samples goes, really what else can you do on a body without an atmosphere.. other than eva report and some grav max (which you can do anywhere) there's nothing to do. But yes I do wish I had a better method of knowing what biome I was going to land on other than eva from your rocket and take a report/guess...

Edited by softweir
Removed link to hacked, now malicious site.

Well as far as not pushing surface samples goes, really what else can you do on a body without an atmosphere.. other than eva report and some grav max (which you can do anywhere) there's nothing to do. But yes I do wish I had a better method of knowing what biome I was going to land on other than eva from your rocket and take a report/guess...

Aye, I feel that the surface mission aspect of the game is severely underdeveloped.

I agree with the OP, having a satellite like MapSat that shows not only geographical studies, but also biomes, would be great. It'd be nice to have this generate science as it does so, it only makes sense in my opinion. Maybe a way to make them work when you're not actually flying the craft would be good, too. And somewhere in the R&D Lab where you can view these maps and biomes in conjunction with science gained from the biomes such as temperature displays and suchlike.

I agree with the OP, having a satellite like MapSat that shows not only geographical studies, but also biomes, would be great. It'd be nice to have this generate science as it does so, it only makes sense in my opinion.

This is exactly what SCANsat does, with multiple antennae available for different types of scan (and science to earn for each type of scan). If you play modded anyway, you really should try SCANsat. It's awesome, and a worthy successor to ISA Mapsat.

This is exactly what SCANsat does, with multiple antennae available for different types of scan (and science to earn for each type of scan). If you play modded anyway, you really should try SCANsat. It's awesome, and a worthy successor to ISA Mapsat.

"There's a mod for that" is not a valid reason as to why something should not be implemented in the stock game, though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.