[WIP] Universal Storage

Another wedge that holds water? If it's a conformal tank inside the wedge for more volume that's what I was thinking of anyways. Realistic weight, Reasonably heavy and movable weight between tanks for tweaking balance better than just shuffling wedges around.

Another wedge that holds water? If it's a conformal tank inside the wedge for more volume that's what I was thinking of anyways. Realistic weight, Reasonably heavy and movable weight between tanks for tweaking balance better than just shuffling wedges around.

Yeah, that would actually be pretty ideal for ballast, now that you mention it. Just a pain there's no in-flight COM indicator for orbital refitting... but of course there's probably a mod for everything around here!

Those are some gloriously chunky looking parts. They look like something that was kitbashed together on a gerry anderson production (this is a very good thing)

Wow, a Gerry Anderson-based compliment!? I grew up obsessed with Thunderbirds, the detail on their models and the production quality was outstanding, especially for a 60's black and white TV show (not surprised at all Kubrick stole all the model makers for 2001)! Thanks so much :D

Holy moly! These parts look AMAZING! I love all the detail and the texture work is great! Greebl-ey parts are my favorite kinds! Keep up the good work, guys!

I shall try, the KAS pack is next!

Blocking in and texture process of the Monoprop wedge (just a quick test), and the EVA Extender (EVA-X). This little clip-on backpack attaches to your regular EVA suit and provides up to 15 hours of more pointless meandering to your spacewalks :P. With KAS it will provide only electricity and extra EVA propellant, but in tandem with ECLSS or TAC it will give you more resources and a little more time to get things done. Weighs about 30 kilos and is surface attachable so you can stick them onto everything in the VAB, and place them back in EVA when you're done.

K0TfBBq.jpg

ELfD0Lg.jpg

Progress on the KAS Storage bay, thought I'd fill it with things so it's a tad more realistic when you open the hatch :)

1VFgGcc.jpg

Also retextured and optimized (1300 less tris and specular on the glass) the octocore (old) (new), and updated the Sabatier reactor with specular and widening it for better use of the wedges interior space.

7YWMIxv.jpg

Edited by Daishi

Need one like Kerbal express or return to sender hehe.
An upside-down THIS SIDE UP stamp somewhere would fit right in.

Argh you guys replied too late - maybe next time! :P

Almost done!

TO5sMH7.jpg

In the middle of revising the external structure to both optimise the polycount and UVs, and allow for easier custom frames on a wedge-to-wedge basis. In this case, i'm splitting the structure into multiple door segments for better access to custom payloads (batteries, cameras, Dmagic science parts, micro satellites to drop into munar orbit, etc).

This bay is inspired by the Apollo CSM SIM Bay, which provided similar functionality for mounting scientific equipment.

sim_fig2.jpg

There could be a crankshaft system that slowly needs to rotate back to its initial starting state before it activates the next stage of retraction? Just because its mechanical doesn't mean its instantaneous :)

Anything cam-driven would be pretty much stuck at one speed - Add really short (can't even see them) lever arms to move parts with and The loads on the hinges cold be pretty high. The doors ripping the hinges off when they stop swinging makes for an implausible "undocumented feature". Making it bulkier, heavier, or slower would help that. Hurry up and wait is the simplest option. Opening most doors IRL much faster doesn't do them any favors. TL,DR: Speed looks good to me. edit: typos

Slow few days, been mucking around with door mechanisms ever since timing was brought up. Pretty much used all the tris building this new stuff that i saved optimizing, but meh. The doors were pretty much floating before and had no hinges so i had to put something there.

What do you guys think? Something doesnt look right to me, but its probably just the lack of textures right now.

I think it needs more of a "coasting to a gentle stop" motion on the last door swing, it seems too harsh at the moment. But I really like the little elements "unlocking" as the door slides on the hinge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.