Bipedal walker - mk2

Modernised design - reduced the number of servos, instead taking advantage of the natural elasticity of the joints, and gravity to perform the walking motions. Improved foot pad design allows for better balance and traction. Integrated self-righting ability without additional parts. Added experimental jumping routine, which may be useful in low gravity conditions.

I'm using infernal robotics and some b9 parts, which could be substituted with stock parts, if necessary. I am also using a script to automate the walking routine. At this point, piloting the craft is not much more difficult than a rather top-heavy rover.

for some reason she doesn't like it when I try to put a crew module on top. even if go bare minimum with just a seat and a ladder on top, whenever I put a kerbal in it, he just goes limp, and then starts spazzing out hardcore, head popping out of his helmet, foaming at the mouth, and chanting satanic curses in backwards latin. I dunno wtf

for some reason she doesn't like it when I try to put a crew module on top. even if go bare minimum with just a seat and a ladder on top, whenever I put a kerbal in it, he just goes limp, and then starts spazzing out hardcore, head popping out of his helmet, foaming at the mouth, and chanting satanic curses in backwards latin. I dunno wtf

Cuz it got "possessed" ;) get it?? possessed?

BAHAHAHA!

Impressive work btw

I'm pretty sure I did something awesome. I still am working out the bugs but this could be huge for our walking mechs. I combined the code from a hinge with the code from the B9 which allows you to toggle limits. This could allow us to use a hotkey to toggle through the limits of a part. THis could make turning and transitioning from run/walk much easier. I'm gonna Xpost this into my thread too.

Getting closer.

I adjusted the leg and now its super stable. As long as i'm on relatively flat ground, I can toggle the walk routine, and it will stay balanced without input, only minor course corrections are necessary. Still need to work on self righting and hill climbing.

• 4 weeks later...

These things are creepy... Feels like watching a weightless two legged spider... But very well done! From the motion i like version 2 best. It moves smooth and the motion appears more round than those of the 3rd design series. I will keep an eye on this thread. Its really fun and interesting. Keep going!

to me the mk2 was just something to try out a new idea I had, and i abandoned that design as soon as i put together a mk3. the mk2 had a lot of flaws: has a smaller stride than the mk3 and was slower because of this. also, the small size makes it impossible to mount any equipment or rockets, or even a crew pod, it just refused to move, also required too much hands on piloting to keep her upright. the mk3 is faster, and more space to mount rockets and equipment, and a crew module. although perhaps i may come back to it in the future and modernise it using the knowledge gained during development of the mk3.

Edited by Parallax

CRAFT FILE & SCRIPT DOWNLOAD:

http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/23714325/file.html
http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/71142255/file.html

0) install ksp 0.23.5 + mechjeb + B9 + Infernal Robotics
1) download both files shown above
2) place the craft file into your SPH folder
3) place the script file somewhere easy to find (I keep my scripts in my main ksp directory
4) install this utility http://www.autohotkey.com/ (you need this to run the script)
5) launch the script (right-click; open with the autohotkey utility that you just installed)
6) launch ksp if its not already running
7) launch walker from the SPH
8) activate action groups "9" and "0" - these center the leg servos
9) toggle sas using "T"
10) set both servo speeds to no higher than 7.4 on kerbin, less if you are on a low gravity body
11) "1" & "2" raises and lowers the left leg; "3" & "4" raises and lowers the right leg. To walk alternate pressing "1" and "3" (servos will center automatically). Tap "1" once or twice, and then tap "3" once or twice, just to make sure everything is working.
12) Walking manually is tedious, hold down "/" to activate the auto-walking script. For as long as "/" is held down, the script will pump the legs by itself. use "e" and "q" to steer
13) To stop, release "/", and use SAS torque to help catch your balance. It may be necessary to pump the legs manually a few times to regain balance.
14) To allow ladder access, come to a complete stop, set servo speed to 0.5, deactivate the auto-centering action groups and hold down. press "G" to deploy ladder. Reverse these steps to retract ladder and stand up. don't forget to activate servo-auto-centering Edited by Parallax

it can go up mild slopes on kerbin (the hills west of ksc) and more extreme slopes in low gravity. so far I've been able to walk out of a medium sized crater on the mun, and went up a portion of that big hill on duna at the end of the large canyon (i think the duna face should be around there somewhere).

im currently working on a mk4 design for hill climbing and long range operations using the autopilot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.