Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

Just wanted to say I'm sad to see AVC support go.  Spacedock is nice and fine - but it won't tell me which mods I've missed updating.  And CKAN sounds fine when things are stable, but I see a lot of bug reports on it.  (And I'm not entirely sure it's supported on my old Mac.)  AVC fits a good niche.  I understand if it's being to much work, but just wanted to say it'll be missed.  :wink:

On 12/6/2015 at 6:35 PM, Phineas Freak said:

Small bug report: on the EVAX part module configuration, a Module Manager "NEEDS" flag is missing from one of the life support sub - configs.

//IFI LifeSupport
	@PART[US_3R310_EVA_EVAX]:[IFILifeSupport]
	{
		RESOURCE
		{
			name = LifeSupport
			amount = 1
			maxAmount = 1
		}
	}

Pinging @Paul Kingtiger (since the original post was not clear to see).

On 3/5/2016 at 1:24 AM, DStaal said:

Just wanted to say I'm sad to see AVC support go.  Spacedock is nice and fine - but it won't tell me which mods I've missed updating.  And CKAN sounds fine when things are stable, but I see a lot of bug reports on it.  (And I'm not entirely sure it's supported on my old Mac.)  AVC fits a good niche.  I understand if it's being to much work, but just wanted to say it'll be missed.  :wink:

I am too quite disapointed to this news. Spacedock provides about only "yes/no" compatibility data, unless you find the good line in the changelog. And btw, any users that has KSP-AVC installed is a user who won't come on the forum to report bugs without upgrading first, unlike the basic Spacedock "i missed the email and didn't read the backlog" user.

Ironically, the bundled CommunityRessourcePack is still providing it's .version .
CKAN and others package managers are a hell when multiple mods bundle other mods - like universal storage bundling crp - , KSP-AVC is the only convenient way to ensure manually installed mods are up to date  to tightly manage mods manually.

We don't need no MiniAVC, we just need a .version file, even if it says "pretty sure it will be compatible until 1.2.9" to not bother you updating each time Squad releases a new one.

PS : even Blizzy has just replaced his own toolbar mod's update check system with a KSP-AVC .version file! Removing AVC files is not the trend :)

Edited by maxix
PS

How would one go about getting real fuels to work with the Universal Storage fuel tanks? Right now RF doesn't recognize them as configurable (so they stay as monoprop or liquid fuel etc.)

On 03/05/2016 at 1:24 AM, DStaal said:

Just wanted to say I'm sad to see AVC support go.  [...]

Same here, i always update manually all my mods (~60), i only use AVC to ping me when new version are out.
i also check forums for what change and for non supported mods. I don't use CKAN, i'm too afraid of messing in my files.

Btw, i didn't notice the new version of US as nether avc or thread post have "1.1.0.12" version in it, we need to go on spacedock to get version, not helpful.
I know it's a kinda boring to update a .version file every version, but it really save us a lot of time.

On 5/7/2016 at 11:09 PM, jstnj said:

How would one go about getting real fuels to work with the Universal Storage fuel tanks? Right now RF doesn't recognize them as configurable (so they stay as monoprop or liquid fuel etc.)

@jstnj

I've taken a look and this is what I would recommend as a MM file to make it real fuel compatible.
If you want to test it and give me some feed back that would be great and I'll include it in the next release.

@PART[US_1R210_Wedge_Liquidfuel]:FOR[RealFuels]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 320
        type = Default
    }
}
@PART[US_1R220_Wedge_Monoprop]:FOR[RealFuels]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 260
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}
@PART[US_1R330_Wedge_Hydrogen]:FOR[RealFuels]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 260
        type = Cryogenic
    }
}

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

1 minute ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

I've taken a look and this is what I would recommend as a MM file to make it real fuel compatible.
If you want to test it and give me some feed back that would be great and I'll include it in the next release.

{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 320
        type = Default
    }
}
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 260
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 260
        type = Cryogenic
    }
}

Cool, thanks @Paul Kingtiger. As it turns out, you can configure the fuel using the action groups menu (navigate to action groups, click on Universal Storage LF container, for example), but it doesn't allow that configuration by right clicking like other fuel tanks. I will add this config to my US folder and let you know the results!

1 hour ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

@jstnj

{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 320
        type = Default
    }
}
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 260
        type = ServiceModule
    }
}
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleFuelTanks
        volume = 260
        type = Cryogenic
    }
}

As a similar issue was causing headaches in the AntennaRange thread: You mean ':NEEDS', not ':FOR'.  In MM parlance, ':FOR' creates the mod, it isn't a conditional.

Here a few errors I found in the log file concerning this mod:

Spoiler

[LOG 21:57:05.642] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1C10_Wedge_Quadcore/US_1C10_Wedge_Quadcore/US_1C10_Wedge_Quadcore'
[ERR 21:57:05.650] Invalid value length for Vector3! Field jettisonDirection, value 0 0 on object of type ModuleJettison

[LOG 21:57:05.678] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1C15_Wedge_Hexacore/US_1C15_Wedge_Hexacore/US_1C15_Wedge_Hexacore'
[ERR 21:57:05.683] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleConnectedLivingSpace'

[LOG 21:57:05.712] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_1C20_Wedge_Octocore/US_1C20_Wedge_Octocore/US_1C20_Wedge_Octocore'
[ERR 21:57:05.717] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleConnectedLivingSpace'

[LOG 21:57:06.573] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UniversalStorage/Parts/US_3R310_EVA_EVAX/US_3R310_EVA_EVAX/US_3R310_EVA_EVAX'
[ERR 21:57:06.576] [ShipTemplate]: No Resource definition found for RESOURCE

The first and last one are typos. The two middle one I think would benefit from a Module Manager conditional check...

Edited by Galenmacil

18 hours ago, nosirrbro said:

Could you add Kerbalism support to this or unviersal storage 2?

I second this. I'm not sure of the implications with licensing, but making the current TACLS life support elements of this mod would be cool too!

2 hours ago, jstnj said:

I second this. I'm not sure of the implications with licensing, but making the current TACLS life support elements of this mod would be cool too!

Now Kerbalism uses community resource pack values US pretty much does support it.  There are a few small tweaks I need to make to ensure that the right parts show up (MM dependency checks).  I'm just collected the feedback above into an update (and waiting for some free time to build and test it).  This weekend is looking good.

Hi @Paul Kingtiger, I've been using the US wedges with USI-LS and the ratios of supplies to wedge mass (dry mass) seems a little off for those, being 155Kg dry mass to hold 120Kg of supplies when the USI-LS supply containers are more like 1:5 (100Kg of dry mass to hold 500 Kg of supplies),

The other issue I've been running into is something with the tweakscale setup, the wedge parts seem to scale differently than the cassette cores, so if you (for example) scale up the QuadCore and the wedges to use with 2.5m, the readout for the core will say 2m (not 200%) and the wedges will clip significantly into the parts above/below. The side nodes are getting positioned corrected because the assembled wedge/core ends up the right diameter, but the top/bottom nodes aren't being moved far enough for some reason (and the sizes displayed by tweakscale are weird).

Edited by NoMrBond

• 2 weeks later...

Any reason the US monopropellant tank has such a terrible mass ratio (and tiny monopropellant capacity)?

By my calculations, it's got a mass ratio of 2.9375 : 1 (wet : dry).

0.155 dry mass for a piddling 20 units of monoprop is kind of really bad, and 20 units of monoprop in that large of a space is also pretty bad.

The stock sphere monopropellant tank has a mass ratio of 4.2 : 1, a dry mass of 0.075, and a capacity of 40 units of monopropellant.

The changes compared to "stock monopropellant sphere in a US Science bay" are as follows:

1. Assuming the tank itself didn't change in dry mass, the bay itself is twice as heavy as it should be (0.115 - 0.075 = 0.08, science bay = 0.04).
  2. Additionally, the tank lost half of its storage capacity.

With these two things in mind, someone who does the math on these things will always stuff a stock monopropellant sphere tank inside a US science bay, instead of using the US monopropellant tank.

If it was me, I'd change the stats so it holds 40 monopropellant and has a dry mass of 0.115t. This matches the dry mass and resource capacity of the "US science bay + stock monopropellant sphere tank" combination..

If it's gotta hold only 20 monopropellant for some reason, it should have a dry mass of 0.077. This matches the mass of the US science bay + 1/2 the dry mass of the stock monopropellant tank (I know the math isn't quite like that for tanks, but it keeps the mass ratio of that part of the calculation constant which I feel is more important).

Just reporting that a lot of Universal Storage part lack proper "heat" parameters...

Edit: The "Quad, Hexa and Octo" adapter don't seem to conduct heat at all.

Edited by Galenmacil

I'm wondering if anyone knows what happened to the circular, structural bracket parts that used to come with this mod. I'm talking about these, that were available a long time ago (screenshot is from KSP 0.25):

q54uPCZ.png

I really loved them because they gave crafts a very rigid look, and it "tucked" away the fact that Universal Storage wedges stick out a bit from the sides:

wAJDbgN.png

Without the brackets, it looks especially bad on the 2.5m mount. Does anyone know where I can find the braces or why they were removed? Since Kerbal Stuff has shut down, I can't even get an earlier version of the mod to get those bits.

• 2 weeks later...

New update released

http://spacedock.info/mod/329/Universal Storage

Version 1.1.0.13 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1.2

Released on 2016-06-21

• Kerbalism will now unlock the appropriate parts
  • Stack end caps are now back (the node issue that made them very annoying to use appears to have been fixed in the current version of KSP)
  • Cleaned up for bad module manager code (thanks to the various posts on the forums for pointing it out)
  • Modular fuel tanks code included (thanks again to forum posts)
  • Latest Community Resource Pack

*Balance depends on the usage values you set in Kerbalism, the part capacities are set to work with the levels used by TAC Life Support, which are closely based on NASA data for Humans. If you use reduced resource consumption values then you may find the Universal Storage parts hold a lot of stuff.

On 5/11/2016 at 8:40 AM, Rhedd said:

Ooh, a Universal Storage 2!

Could I request a CO2 (CO2 > O2) scrubber part be in there too?

We've already added the wedges in the upcoming BioMass release. :D If anyone has feature requests for mod-additional parts (Universal Storage, etc), please speak up and we'll add them in!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.