WarThunder?

Redrobin

It's simply too hard to play with a mouse. I'm way too used to using WASD both in online games and simulators, so suddently having to use my right mouse to fly an airplane while being shot at by 10 guys that use premium bullets is just too much for me.

You can change controls to fit your taste. But the bullets... well... dodge'm =P

For me, I simply fell that people, specially russian players, take it too damn serious... ALL THE TIME. I can't take to much time of serious gameplay without a lil' naught trolling...

WT is for kids who can't handle a learning curve and want instant gratification. The only good thing about WT is the graphics aren't bad at all. However, if you fly KSP then a) you can certainly handle a steep learning curve and B) you probably want realism, not arcade easy mode.

Therefore.....try Aces High (www.hitechcreations.com) and when you get there look me up (Swoop - usually on 9pm ish British time).

WT is for kids who can't handle a learning curve and want instant gratification.

pffff. I see your Aces High, and rise you a Falcon BMS. Where just starting the jet takes 8 minutes.

On WT, It's a game, it's for fun, I never tried it but I have seen people playing it. Not my cup of tea, that is, too arcade.

WT is for kids who can't handle a learning curve and want instant gratification. The only good thing about WT is the graphics aren't bad at all. However, if you fly KSP then a) you can certainly handle a steep learning curve and B) you probably want realism, not arcade easy mode.

Therefore.....try Aces High (www.hitechcreations.com) and when you get there look me up (Swoop - usually on 9pm ish British time).

I remember playing that game like 5 or so years ago...

Don't get me wrong, warthunder is a good game but it is not without major problems. (Below is talking about Historical battles, since I dont play Arcade)

1) In it's current form, you can get to tier 5 using nothing but paid currency, although there is an absurd amount of money required.

2) Alot of the game mechanics are broken, like G-lock only effecting a limited number of aircraft giving the ones not effected a HUGE advantage.

3) .50cals are over-performing like crazy ever since the waves of 'MURICA patriotism on the forums forced the devs to buff them a lil' too much. As a result german 13mm MGs which are larger caliber, and fire faster than .50s, do less damage than even some 7.5-7.92mm guns.

Have fun playing it guys, but don't go calling warthunder 'realistic', it is a pitiful simulation of air combat and is horrifically simplified for the mass casual gamer market. Not to say though it isn't fun, because I thoroughly enjoy playing it, enough even to unlock every plane xD.

Edited by deskjetser

IL2 is the only real flight sim anything else is for casuals.

You might want to rephrase that, you are discounting everything else including Xplane, DCS, FalconBMS, Rise of Flight and possibly even FSX even though time has told it was pretty bad.*Edit: Never mind, I can't bring myself to say FSX now that I think about it.

pffff. I see your Aces High, and rise you a Falcon BMS. Where just starting the jet takes 8 minutes.

Yeah I don't like modern jet sims, too much like playstation combat. I prefer WW2 seat of the pants stuff.

On WT, It's a game, it's for fun, I never tried it but I have seen people playing it. Not my cup of tea, that is, too arcade.

Hence why I suggest Aces High instead

I remember playing that game like 5 or so years ago...

I've been playing it for 15 years. We're up to version 2.32 now and the game is about as recognisable at KSP 0.1 would be....

I been playing that ,but so far im still tier I planes ,and close to unlocking my first tier II plane.

That's WT. In Aces High you have access to everything immediately, since the learning curve is so steep you'll have your backside handed to you by A6Ms while flying a P51D for at least the first 3 months anyway....

Well.....actually, the prevailing opinion by most with actual experience of flight in the real world is that all Russian planes in IL2 are over modelled, probably because it's a Russian developer. And you don't get 500 players in the same arena with IL2. Not even close in fact. It's also not a persistent world and there's no long term record keeping. I can look up my Aces High stats from 1999 if I wanted to.

There's also an official 'Events Team' for Aces High who design and coordinate regular massive events. Once upon a time, back in around 2004 I think, we had an event with the civilian pilots of Aces High versus the USAF Academy pilots class. 4 saturdays in a row, 250 a side......we kicked their arses too, even if they did manage to sink one of our carriers.

Aw heck, shall I just put the costume on and get the pom poms out?

Edited by Swoop

You might want to rephrase that, you are discounting everything else including Xplane, DCS, FalconBMS, Rise of Flight and possibly even FSX even though time has told it was pretty bad.*Edit: Never mind, I can't bring myself to say FSX now that I think about it.

Lets stick to MMO WW2 combat flight sims. Everything else is personal preference....oh wait, that discounts IL2 as well cos it's not MMO.

Edited by Swoop

Well.....actually, the prevailing opinion by most with actual experience of flight in the real world is that all Russian planes in IL2 are over modelled, probably because it's a Russian developer. And you don't get 500 players in the same arena with IL2. Not even close in fact. It's also not a persistent world and there's no long term record keeping. I can look up my Aces High stats from 1999 if I wanted to.

There's also an official 'Events Team' for Aces High who design and coordinate regular massive events. Once upon a time, back in around 2004 I think, we had an event with the civilian pilots of Aces High versus the USAF Academy pilots class. 4 saturdays in a row, 250 a side......we kicked their arses too, even if they did manage to sink one of our carriers.

Aw heck, shall I just put the costume on and get the pom poms out?

Given the strange things that happen in real life I'm more than willing to give them a slack.

Going back on topic for War Thunder, I used to play it, then .37 happened. However reading the changelog for .39, I decided to give it a shot again, especially with the new skin creator thingy. Anyway here's what I managed to butcher together in about 10 minutes in Gimp.

16wx42N.jpg

I have been trying War Thunder recently, it's fun. Far from a flight sim, very much a game, a bit of premium stuff, but otherwise fun. I have also been looking at IL-2 1946 (Yes, that one) for a simulator, but I do not have a joystick...

The great thing about IL2 is that you can change the difficulty based on your preferences you only need a joystick if you want to play full realism mode. A KBM will play it fine providing you adjust things accordingly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.