Do you use the launch escape system?

montyben101

How often do you use the escape tower  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you use the escape tower

• Every manned launch
    • Sometimes
    • Never

The escape tower only adds weight, and you only need it when things go wrong anyhow. That won't happen right?

If it does though, any Kerbal made of the Right Stuff would rather bail and aim to land helmet first to bounce to a soft touchdown.

Uh, I always us a launch escape system, just not the stock one. Partly because I'm playing career and the stock one only unlocks about 2/3s of the way through the tree, while the mod ones I have unlock at tier 1. Mostly because the stock one doesn't have a built in decoupler like the Aerojet, Soyuz, and Apollo ones I have.

It's easy enough to set the LES to an action group to "decouple node" with a regular docking port and firing the LES. Then again, I kinda wish there was an LES at tier 1, maybe just a scaled down version that you can put on top of a parachute.

I really like the idea of it but there's just too many reasons not to use it personally. Firstly I prefer parachutes since they['re helpful with successful missions. Secondly what do I do with it if I make it to space? Can I drop it or will it fire my command pod off of my ship? most importantly though if it doesn't fly I revert to the VAB to start making tweaks instantly, so there's literally no purpose to the device for me currently. Maybe with finance added and the ability to revert flights removed I would feel more tempted to use it.

I always have an Abort system set up, but never yet the new LES. My designs so far have always wanted the nose for something else: the asteroid lander on Tycho, the main claw on Macbeth, and a shielded docking port on Chamberlain.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.