[WIP] Habitat parts - Development download 0.1 available

blizzy78

Aww, you're mocking my poor pipe :)

But seriously, what do you think about the changes to put more details on the models? Is it enough, just right, not enough? Personally I think it's enough, but I really like getting input from others.

I think if you try to think deeply about the function of a habitat you'll easily come up with things to add. One of the things that beginners usually do wrong is that they try to make a part look good, rather than make it look functional. It should be the other way around. Make it look functional, and it will end up looking good. So think about what a habitat needs:

- Probably some kind mechanism for binding sections together.

- Windows

- Whipple shields

- Insulation

- Access panels for electronics, storage or life support

- Attachment rails

- Handles

- Steps

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure you can think of more stuff.

Basically pretend you're designing a habitat, and NOT a KSP part.

One of the things that beginners usually do wrong is that they try to make a part look good, rather than make it look functional.

Right, I guess that's where I'm at :) The thing is, you make that part there in Blender, and think, hey, this looks quite neat. And then, to make it believable, you kind of have to "destroy" the good looks by adding stuff that makes it dirty, look asymmetric, or what have you. It's hard to give in.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate those.

Right, I guess that's where I'm at :) The thing is, you make that part there in Blender, and think, hey, this looks quite neat. And then, to make it believable, you kind of have to "destroy" the good looks by adding stuff that makes it dirty, look asymmetric, or what have you. It's hard to give in.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate those.

Creating interesting surfaces isnt all about dirt - try envision how something is put together, its structural integrity, what its made of, etc. For example as this is a structural hub thing (what you said in an earlier post), ingress some of the sides further to give yourself an indication there's a heaver frame on the corners needed to support things stacked on top of it. Maybe add a thick girder to the edges - think about how you could use the shape of stock parts and build them into the model :)

Hq349CN.jpg

Recess bits, make things stick out, think about what your part looks like as a plain silhouette - generally if it looks interesting and unique just by its black outline you're in the clear. Its a trick for convincing character designs but parts need to have character too.

Also consider the way it has been constructed. For my stuff i tend to think "how could a Kerbal have made this on an assembly line?" and then place screws and rivets and welds where they make sense. Split up the model into structural framing, panels, paint thats been scraped off around crew hatches by heavy boots, or the corners, vents, service areas that lead to exposed ports (that nobody wants to clean). Imagine the process that went into making it, and try communicate that like the parts existed for years in that environment and been through it. Maybe it was dropped, maybe Jeb got angry cause Bob ate all the snacks and bent a ladder rung in a fit of rage?

Pretty much everything Cpt. Kipard said - make it look like it has been build to do a specific job, gone through that job, and been repurposed by little green men who don't have enough R&D budget to keep churning out new things.

But for your first part its pretty amazing already, just keep at it and you'll only get better :)

I agree with daishi. It could use some extra geometry and some odd scratches here and there. Dont be afraid of those tris:P. Numbers of 3000-7000 may sound high but concidering some game characters are over 100k its not bad. Less Collider complexity and lower object counts as well as texture resolution is much much more important. The notable exception are parts that could be used 100s of times on a ship but still most pcs can handle many tris per part. Other than that i like the part. Nice color scheme and a nice base shape

Edited by landeTLS

Blizzy imagine you're designing a tank that has to be lifted. What concerns does that raise?

Have a look at the 2.5m Xenon tank from Near Future Propulsion. What's the difference?

Remember, Keep It Functional.

kiff.png

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.