The Venturer Program: Tour of the planets

RogueMason

What did you have to change to get the Z Pinch rockets working? I'm trying to add them, but I can't figure out what's missing.

I'm going to guess it's the part config file. It'll probably need this:

PART

{

-config stuff-

}

If that doesn't do it, I don't know what will.

I'm going to guess it's the part config file. It'll probably need this:

PART

{

-config stuff-

}

If that doesn't do it, I don't know what will.

Well, at least that got the models in game. The textures, less so.

Hmmm, that transfer does seem a little inefficient. If you have PreciseNode installed, it's possible to do transfers in a more optimal way - by adding a normal component to your ejection from Eve. You can use this tool to figure out optimal transfers, simply set to "optimal" instead of "mid-course plane change": http://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/. This can get you down below 4500 m/s for the whole transfer. Anyway, can't wait for the next story. Now I also want to do a Grand Tour.

CHAPTER 18: MOHO

A few hours later…

Jeb: “Well, despite our horrendous fuel situation, we can still pull off the landing.â€Â

Lengas: “Moho is really going to test the ability of the lander, you know that, right?â€Â

Jeb: “I recall you saying that these landers didn’t handle Mun quite as well as you were expecting.â€Â

Lengas: “There is a very distinct possibility that we may not be able to reach orbit again, especially with the altitude that Enterprise is sitting at.â€Â

Jeb: “I could always bring the ship into a lower orbit.â€Â

Lengas: “I still have my doubts; we’d be going through an awful lot of delta-V. Unfortunately, the only way we’re really going to find out is to get going, so I’ll see you on the other side, buddy.â€Â

Jeb: “I’d better see you on the other side! You’re taking the only other engineer on the ship with you, and if you both go down, well…â€Â

Lengas: “Don’t worry, I’m sure we’ll make it. Sid, Ed, you ready?â€Â

Sid: “Ready and raring.â€Â

Ed: “Yeah, I’m all set.â€Â

Lengas: “Ok then, lander beta. Let’s get it powered up.â€Â

A few minutes later…

ruixpQx.png

Lengas: “Enterprise, we’re clear of the docking port.â€Â

Bob: “Copy that, Lengas, have fun.â€Â

Lengas: “Ok then. Sid, how are we looking?â€Â

Sid: “We’re green across the board, and the solar panels are loving it being this close to the Sun. I just hope you packed sun block, Lenny.â€Â

Lengas: “Ugh, again with the nickname…â€Â

Al0M5xH.png

Lengas: “That’s it, we’re heading down to the surface, in the middle of a bunch of mountains and ridges.â€Â

Ed: “Mountains and ridges…â€Â

Lengas: “Don’t worry about it, I’ll get us a good landing site.â€Â

Ed: “I don’t doubt it.â€Â

Sid: “Yeah, I’m sure we’ll be bathing in the sun soon enough.â€Â

Lengas: “As long as you do what I need you to do, then I’ve got no worries about you soaking up those good old UV rays.â€Â

Sid: “Cool.â€Â

avdlRHj.png

4dieAsV.png

Ed: “It’s a rather neat looking place, actually.â€Â

Lengas: “I guess so. There isn’t much information on it save what the Interplanet 4 mission recorded and what we managed to gather with the two flybys of that probe. We did detect some anomalies at the poles, though. Some kind of giant pits, by the looks of it, but we aren’t going to explore those. They can be left for a later mission.â€Â

Sid: “That’s a shame, but I guess giant mountains will make me happy enough.â€Â

OEI4EOF.png

Ed: “Ok, it is looking worryingly mountainous out there.â€Â

Lengas: “I told you, we’ll be fine.â€Â

KnlYviG.png

Ed: “I know, but I’m used to the maria on Mun. Nice and flat.â€Â

Sid: “What’s life without a bit of danger, Ed? That’s why we’re out here on a grand tour mission, after all.â€Â

Ed: “Good point.â€Â

Lengas: “Ok, we’re nearly there now. 10 seconds to touchdown.â€Â

QOItrfg.png

Lengas: “Excellent, we’re safely on the ground.â€Â

Sid: “Hey, uh, Lenny? What’s with the low fuel?â€Â

Lengas: “Aw crap, that’s not what I wanted to see. Err... well, we might just be able to make orbit after we’re done doing stuff here.â€Â

Sid: “I hope so.â€Â

Ed: “Well we didn’t crash, at least.â€Â

Lengas: “Told you so.â€Â

Ed: “You did, and I feel a little better about the whole ‘landing in the middle of a mountain range’ thing now.â€Â

Lengas: “It’ll keep getting better. Mountains are more interesting than plains anyway, unless you're at the boundary between the two, then it’s just an awesome view, like on Duna where they had the old Outreach Colony. Anyway, I’m heading outside.â€Â

Sid: “Got it.â€Â

bS50GGH.png

aXmKLP2.png

Lengas: “Right, our suits are only going to take so much before we need to take shelter, so we won’t be here for all that long. I suggest you both come outside ASAP.â€Â

Sid: “Alright then. After you, Ed.â€Â

Ed: “I thought you wanted a tan.â€Â

Sid: “I do, just after you.â€Â

Ed: “Ok then…â€Â

NqRJrsf.png

bWtBQgV.png

Lengas: “Wow…â€Â

Ac7TImt.png

Lengas: “And pull your visors down, damn it. I don’t want you going blind.â€Â

Ed: “Ok.â€Â

HhwTTvZ.png

Ed: “Huh, the gravity is quite high out here.â€Â

Lengas: “Moho is 250km in radius, while, hmm... let's say Mun. Mun is 200km. There’s definitely a noticeable difference.â€Â

Ed: “I can practically walk properly here. I reckon we could sprint if we wanted to.â€Â

Lengas: “I’m sure we could.â€Â

3mvOkcp.png

Sid: “Hey folks. Nice landing site, Lenny.â€Â

Lengas: “Thanks. Right then, Sid, you can go up that mountain there, get some samples and stuff from the peak. Ed, you go away from the Sun, and I’ll head towards it.â€Â

Ed: “Alright then.â€Â

Sid: “I’m on it.â€Â

pWqZOcC.png

wyyzz7x.png

Sid: “It’s a pretty tall peak, guys.â€Â

Lengas: “You have enough fuel to scale it and get back.â€Â

Sid: “I know, I’m just saying, that’s all.â€Â

Lengas: “Oh. Ok then.â€Â

Ed: “Hey, Lengas? What do you make of this?â€Â

Lengas: “Let me see…â€Â

pOIZ2dt.png

Sid: “Oh man, the view up here is incredible! You look like ants all the way down there.â€Â

Lengas: “Take some pictures for posterity and science.â€Â

Sid: “Yeah, I’m already doing it.â€Â

Lengas: “Well, Ed, I’d have to say it’s pumice.â€Â

Ed: “Like that stuff you use to scrape off hard skin?â€Â

Lengas: “Yeah, that stuff. Clearly Moho used to be pretty volcanic.â€Â

Ed: “Yeah, apparently.â€Â

lcwd94M.png

efVsjpt.png

rvpXBDY.png

emiJZSR.png

Sid: “Ok, this is my mountain now.â€Â

Lengas: “As long as you didn’t call it ‘Sid was here’, I’m alright with it.â€Â

Sid: “No, what sort of crazy man do you take me for?â€Â

Lengas: “A crazy man.â€Â

Sid: “Oh lovely. Well, I’ll have you know I decided to call it Sun Point Peak.â€Â

Lengas: “Seems appropriate enough, although Moho isn’t tidally locked to the Sun, so…â€Â

Sid: “So what you’re saying is that my choice of name isn’t perfect.â€Â

Lengas: “It’s absolutely fine, but I’m just saying that Sun Point Peak won’t always be pointing to the Sun.â€Â

Sid: “Ok then. Anyway, I’ll grab a few more samples and pictures and then I’ll be back down there.â€Â

Lengas: “Copy that.â€Â

A few minutes later…

Sid: “Right, how long left in these suits?â€Â

Lengas: “Err, 12 minutes and 37 seconds.â€Â

Sid: “Ok, I’m coming back down now.â€Â

Ed: “Yeah, I’m just about done on this side of the ridge, Lengas.â€Â

Lengas: “Ok, I’ll finish off the core samples and meet you back in the capsule.â€Â

Sid: “Whoa, what the... Hey guys, my thruster pack is acting funny.â€Â

Lengas: “What do you mean by that?â€Â

Sid: “I don’t know, it’s… it’s not thrusting quite as much as I’d like it to.â€Â

Lengas: “Which axis?â€Â

Sid: “Up and down. Hold on, I’m not… oh Kod, I’m not slowing enough!â€Â

Lengas: “What?!â€Â

Sid: “Oh frak, get out of the way!â€Â

Lengas: “Oh s***!â€Â

Sid: “AHH!â€Â

WNQk0vT.png

Lengas: *cough cough* “What the hell? Sid? Sid?!â€Â

Ed: “What the frak just happened?!â€Â

Lengas: Oh Kod, no… No!â€Â

Ed: “Son of a...â€Â

MWEYOL5.png

Hmm, pumice suggests dissolved gas or water... plausible I guess.

My inner Rozer is thinking they have a better chance of returning to orbit with samples now...

Edited by Tw1

Hmm, pumice suggests dissolved gas or water... plausible I guess.

My inner Rozer is thinking they have a better chance of returning to orbit with samples now...

Yeah, magma typically has gas which is dissolved under high pressure but forms bubbles when the pressure is reduced, such as when the magma is rising to the surface. I did consider maybe using another igneous rock such as dolerite or granite, but pumice is perfectly fine.

As for the Rozer mentality... if anyone develops that on Enterprise, they're going straight out the airlock... or maybe they'll go without snacks for the rest of their days. I'll decide what the more severe punishment is if I have to.

CHAPTER 19: REQUIEM

4Cix2H3.png

Lengas: “SIIID!â€Â

Ed: “What the… what?!â€Â

Lengas: “DAMN IT!! SID!â€Â

Ed: “That’s it, game over man, game over!â€Â

Lengas: “Damn it, this is not game over! That’s not what he’d have wanted!â€Â

Ed: “What the hell would he have wanted?!â€Â

Lengas: “For us to not be yelling at each other for a start! Mother of… Ok, ok, err, let’s grab the samples that he collected.â€Â

Ed: “I… alright.â€Â

3x6es1c.png

iORKCMW.png

Ed: “It’s… it’s suddenly a much harsher place, here…â€Â

Lengas: “I don’t even know what just happened. Frakking…! Sid didn’t deserve this.â€Â

Ed: “Shouldn’t we say something?â€Â

Lengas: “I’ve got nothing to say, I just… I want to go back… Oh crap, our suits aren’t going to last much longer, Ed.â€Â

Ed: “I… yeah, ok…â€Â

The two Kerbals climb back into the capsule only to find…

Lengas: “Oh for the love of…â€Â

Ed: “What is it?â€Â

Lengas: “The engine isn’t working.â€Â

Ed: “What do you mean it’s not working?!â€Â

Lengas: “The radiation from the Sun must have done it! I’ll run some diagnostics but we could be here for a little while.â€Â

Ed: “And his grave is staring us in the face…â€Â

Lengas: “We aren’t going to be joining him, Ed, so don’t get distracted. We can mourn once we're back on Enterprise.â€Â

Ed: “If we get back.â€Â

Lengas: “No if’s or but’s; when we get back. I promise you I will get you back to that ship. Now, I’m going to have to go back outside to look at what’s wrong. You stay here and tell me if the systems reactivate.â€Â

Ed: "But, your suit..."

Lengas: "I know about the suit, damn it! Agh... sorry for shouting..."

Ed: "It's ok."

Lengas: "Hmph... alright, err, we've got repair kits for the suits. Keep them ready for me."

Ed: “Alright then…â€Â

Several hours later…

qk5JHe3.png

Lengas: “Ok, I know I pushed the suit a little bit, but we’re good to go.â€Â

Ed: “Pushed it a little bit?! You used up the spares completely two hours ago!â€Â

Lengas: “I fixed the engine, didn’t I?â€Â

Ed: “You’re probably irradiated, man!â€Â

Lengas: “We’ve got anti-rad meds, haven’t we?â€Â

Ed: “Fortunately for you, we do.â€Â

Lengas: “Good, then I’m coming back in and we’re getting the hell off this rock.â€Â

3qDXkpr.png

Lengas: “Ascent is good so far, but I’m really worrying about that fuel now.â€Â

Ed: “So long, Sid….â€Â

Lengas: “…Yeah, so long, buddy.â€Â

gcNDdhx.png

Ed: “Oh Kod, we’re not going to make it.â€Â

Lengas: “We’ll make it.â€Â

Ed: “I’m holding you to that!â€Â

Lengas: “We’re almost there…â€Â

Ed: “Fuel levels critical!â€Â

Lengas: “We’re there! We’re in orbit!â€Â

Ed: “AH, thank Kod for that…â€Â

Lengas: “You can thank me for that, I got us back up here.â€Â

Ed: “Yeah, but you know what I mean.â€Â

Lengas: “I know, but do you know what? We’re going back to Enterprise, Ed.â€Â

A few hours later…

HouZ2DX.png

Lengas: “Enterprise, this is Lengas, do you read?â€Â

Bill: “Just abou----Your comms s-stem seems to -----amaged. Bring you---lves in.â€Â

Lengas: “Roger that.â€Â

Ed: “You know they’re going to ask what the hell happened, right?â€Â

Lengas: “Of course I know that, and I’ll explain it. I was the commander on this landing, it’s my duty.â€Â

Ed: “Ok then…â€Â

Several hours later…

Captain’s log, entry 13: Well, this isn’t good. As if Buzz becoming ridiculously paranoid wasn’t enough, Sid’s dead, supposedly the result of faulty spacesuit equipment. I’ve ordered Lengas and Bob to check every single suit out and make sure everything is in working order. My Kod, how could this happen? The crew is shocked, and so are the guys at KSC. Gene suggested we all contribute to a letter of condolences to Sid’s family, and I’ve already made some headway on my part. I’ll be passing the document around to each crew member so they can add their parts to it before we finally send it off to Kerbin.

UOc3Ftf.png

nP14hFO.png

Control also informed me that the tanker is en route and will be here soon enough, but we’ve been told to head back to Kerbin for emergency resupply; the chances of us making it from Moho to Duna are slim, and even if we are able to make it to the Red Planet, they don’t have any fuel and won’t have any until the next transfer window opens between Kerbin and there. We’d just be stuck in orbit for a while, watching the dusty surface longingly.

gmUzmbe.png

I’m sure seeing Kerbin again will also raise the morale of the crew; at least that way they’ll know we can get back home from anywhere and any situation. Damn, Sid…

zrYRH5G.png

xyLR9Rf.png

Chief Engineer’s log, entry 7: This is hardly what I’d call a good time. We’re low on fuel, slowly being irradiated by the Sun despite the EM shields working at full power (although it’s only the slightest increase to normal radiation levels, so I don’t know why I’m complaining), Buzz is crazy, and Sid, the only other engineer on the ship, is dead. The only good news to come out of the last few days is that the fuel tanker is on course for Moho. We can at least sort out the fuel issue.

After that, Kod only knows what’ll happen.

5ywatGK.png

Ad4LeFJ.png

vgeqjlj.png

Several hours later…

E0pSYOB.png

Cal: “Fuel tanker on final approach.â€Â

Bill: “The trajectory looks fine. Bob, are you…?â€Â

Bob: “All set.â€Â

Bill: “Right, bring it in, Cal.â€Â

qagXBaR.png

Q7rRTqh.png

Cal: “Done, it’s docking now.â€Â

Bob: “Confirmed, we have a seal. Lengas, it’s all yours.â€Â

Lengas: “Right…â€Â

Bill: “He’s not doing so well, is he?â€Â

Bob: “No, he isn’t, but I can sort of understand why. He was Sid’s commander down there, and he thinks he screwed up.â€Â

Cal: “He does know that it wasn't his fault, right? The Sun probably fried some of the control modules in Sid’s thruster pack.â€Â

Bob: “There’s no doubt that’s what happened. The engine on the lander needed fixing, too. Being exposed to such strong sunlight and radiation hasn't done much good for Enterprise, either. Some of the batteries are suffering with the increased electrical load from the solar panels.â€Â

Bill: “You did do something about that, right?â€Â

Bob: “I stuck some resistors in the circuits for now. We weren’t quite anticipating this amount of solar power.â€Â

Cal: “The Sun’s going through a maximum at the moment, so it’s to be expected, although I would have thought that they’d have built the ship with that in mind.â€Â

Bob: “Hmm. Refuelling is one quarter finished.â€Â

Bill: “Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m getting some food.â€Â

Bob: “I’ll get some later, I’ve got to keep an eye on this for now.â€Â

Cal: “Same here.â€Â

Bill: “Alright then.â€Â

Meanwhile…

zbdSIDw.png

Buzz: “I told you that Eve wouldn’t be the end of this… Kod…â€Â

Jeb: “Look, it was an accident and these things happen. You needed to know, Buzz.â€Â

Buzz: “I’d have been better if I hadn’t known. Now my mind is restless.â€Â

Mac: “You’d have been angry if you’d found we’d been keeping secrets from you.â€Â

Buzz: “Anyone would be mad, but this… is the last thing I need on my mind now… this mission is going to hell already.â€Â

Jeb: “Nothing more is going to happen, Buzz, I promise.â€Â

Buzz: “Don’t make a promise you know you can’t keep. We’ve still got years to go out here in this unforgiving place, Jeb…â€Â

Jeb: “…â€Â

Mac: “Alright, Buzz, I think we’re done.â€Â

Jeb: “Hey, he is alright isn’t he, Mac?â€Â

Mac: “He was until we told him about Sid.â€Â

Jeb: “How much do you think this has back tracked his recovery?â€Â

Mac: “Hard to say, really. I’ll get Ed to give you the rundown later on.â€Â

Jeb: “Alright then.â€Â

Bill: “Hey, Jeb? Refuelling’s almost done.â€Â

Jeb: “Ah, alright then.â€Â

8TpvT16.png

CHAPTER 20: STOPPING BY – PART 1

Several weeks later…

ANSI/Stanley: “Jeb, there is a message marked urgent waiting in your inbox.â€Â

Jeb: “Did it just get here?â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Yes, Captain.â€Â

Jeb: “Ok then, open it up at my station on the bridge.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Of course.â€Â

Jeb: “Hmm, let’s see what we’ve got here… wait, Duna? What the… oh. Oh my. Stanley, archive this message with only my security clearance.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Archiving message… complete. Note that the message is now only accessible by you.â€Â

Jeb: “Thank you, Stanley. Now then, where’s the intercom… aha.â€Â

kQWrBCs.png

Jeb: “So this is it, folks. We’re going back to Kerbin today for what is effectively a pit stop. Make sure everything is secure before the burn, and then I want everyone to report to the meeting area. That’s all.â€Â

Bill: “A meeting? Hmm, ok then.â€Â

Bob: “Everyone this time, not just senior staff.â€Â

Bill: “Obviously it’s relating to, well, you know…â€Â

Bob: “Yeah.â€Â

Bill: “Hmm.â€Â

Bob: “Well, I guess we’d better head over then.â€Â

Bill: “Yep.â€Â

A few minutes later, at the table in the big hab…

Jim: “So, uh, what’s this about then? We all know about Sid, so…â€Â

Dean: “Clearly there’s something Jeb wants us to be aware of.â€Â

Jim: “Well, duh, otherwise we wouldn’t be sat or, in my case, floating here.â€Â

Cal: “Well, whatever it is, I’m sure it’s probably important.â€Â

Bill: “Hey guys.â€Â

Cal: “Commanders.â€Â

Jim: “Hello.â€Â

Bob: “What, you didn’t save any seats for us?â€Â

Jim: “Would you like a seat, sir?â€Â

Bob: “Why are you going all formal all of the sudden?â€Â

Jim: “Well, Jeb sounded pretty serious on the intercom, so we thought it’d be best if we acted formally.â€Â

Bob: “Well, at ease in front of us. And no, we don’t need a seat.â€Â

Mac: “What the hell is this all about?â€Â

Bob: “Dunno yet, we’re waiting on Jeb.â€Â

Mac: “Well this had better be quick, because I’ve left Ed with a Buzz who just tried to lash out at us again.â€Â

Bill: “Geez.â€Â

Cal: “He’s still not doing too well?â€Â

Mac: “Not in the slightest.â€Â

Bill: “Look, you can go back if you want. I’ll stop by after we’re through and tell you what Jeb tells us.â€Â

Mac: “No, I’m here now, and Ed is capable enough.â€Â

Bob: “Say, where are Matton and Lengas?â€Â

Lengas: “Right beneath you.â€Â

Bob: “Oh Kod!â€Â

Matton: “Yeah, we’re watching through the grate seeing as you’ve all crowded the table.â€Â

Bill: “Uh, right then…â€Â

Jeb: “Gentlemen.â€Â

Bill: “Ah, there you are, Jeb. Some of us were getting restless.â€Â

Jeb: “Sorry, I just needed to collect myself. Uh, where are Lengas and…â€Â

Bob: “Underneath me.â€Â

Lengas: “Hello.â€Â

Jeb: “… Alright then. What about Ed and Buzz?â€Â

Mac: “Buzz tried to attack us again. I’ve got Ed keeping an eye on him, but I’d quite like to get back over there myself, Jeb.â€Â

Jeb: “In a minute, this is important.â€Â

Mac: “Yes, Captain.â€Â

Jeb: “Ok, well, you are all definitely wondering why I’ve gathered you here, and I’ll answer the question that is no doubt on all of your minds; no, this is not about Sid.â€Â

A few murmurs resound.

Jeb: “Hush, hush. Now, what the majority of you lot probably didn’t know is that there has been some unusual activity on the surface of Duna. Control have been back and forth with the Duna Spacedock trying to figure out what the hell is going on, and I’ve been updated a few times over the duration of this mission. The last update came through about 15 minutes ago, and honestly, it’s baffling. You should be aware that the last mission of the Venturer was to explore the Volcas site on the Red Planet, but they encountered a mishap and lost Franklin Kerman. Well, the unusual activity that was being seen was at the Volcas base site. Now we know why; Franklin Kerman is alive.â€Â

A lot more murmurs resound now.

Bob: “Holy mother of…â€Â

Lengas: “What the hell?!â€Â

Cal: “So that means that…â€Â

Jeb: “Quiet, folks. So, that means that he’s been stranded there since the two survivors of that mission took off without him. How he’s managed to make it this far without support is a frakking miracle, but control is doing everything they can to get in touch with him. Furthermore, we’ll be arriving at Kerbin not long before the next Duna transfer window opens up. We now have an additional objective; save Franklin Kerman. Any questions?â€Â

There is a pause with just the humming of the ship in the background before…

Matton: “So, our mission isn’t cancelled then?â€Â

Jeb: “Cancelled? What are you talking about?â€Â

Matton: “Well, I’d have thought that with us having lost Sid, and Buzz becoming paranoid, that maybe the grand tour mission would be getting called off for fear of more problems.â€Â

Jeb: “No, Kod no! The grand tour is still continuing regardless of the situation we’re in. They wouldn’t just commission the biggest ship ever built and then send it to explore not even half of the known system! That would be a tremendous waste of money and scientific potential. You were the only one who was thinking that, right?â€Â

Matton: “Well…â€Â

Jim: “Actually, I had a feeling that maybe we’d be getting scrapped, too.â€Â

Mac: “I think Ed has had his thoughts about it, too.â€Â

Jeb: “Well, we aren’t stopping this mission, end of. Dismissed.â€Â

The crew begin to scatter with a few murmurs bouncing around the hab.

Bill: “So, should I input the Kerbin transfer, Jeb?â€Â

Jeb: “If you would, please.â€Â

Bill: “Ok.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “For the record, some of the cargo and supplies still need securing.â€Â

Jeb: “Where?â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Analysis bench and centrifuge.â€Â

Jeb: “Lengas…â€Â

Lengas: “I know, I know, I’m packing it away now...â€Â

Jeb: “Thanks. Mac, just check everything is secure in the centrifuge, would you?â€Â

Mac: “Yes, Captain.â€Â

Several minutes later…

iQWz3bJ.png

Bill: “Course laid in, Jeb.â€Â

Jeb: “Alright, let’s do this.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Time to transfer burn is 10 minutes and 33 seconds, Jeb.â€Â

Jeb: “Oh, well, let’s do this in 10 minutes, then. I’m getting a drink.â€Â

10 minutes later…

COhnuyX.png

G2CsIJq.png

Bill: “It’s questionable, but some trajectory alterations later on should bring us into an encounter with home.â€Â

Jeb: “You sure?â€Â

Bill: “Jeb, it’s me, I’m pretty sure.â€Â

Jeb: “Ok then, Mr. Know-It-All.â€Â

Bill: “Are you ok, man?â€Â

Jeb: “Not really. I’ve got a lot on my mind right now. Buzz, Sid, and now this…â€Â

Bill: “I understand. Don’t get too worked up about it, alright? We need our captain after all.â€Â

Jeb: “That you do. Listen, finish off the trajectory and get some rest, you’ve been up for a while.â€Â

Bill: “Actually, I got a two-hour nap in a while ago. I should be ok for now. How about you, Jeb? You’re looking weary yourself.â€Â

Jeb: “I’m shattered. Come and get me if you need anything.â€Â

Bill: “Ok then.â€Â

Ob7fC8V.png

Several weeks later…

ap1KBGv.png

4mP8JAQ.png

Bill: “Confirmed, we’re heading home!â€Â

Bob: “Awesome.â€Â

Jeb: “Excellent. How long until we get there?â€Â

Bill: “135 days.â€Â

Jeb: “Ok then.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “This is a most agreeable situation. It will serve morale well to see the homeworld again.â€Â

Jeb: “My hopes and thoughts exactly.â€Â

Several months later…

r7nkCdf.png

8BNToW8.png

6hGo8br.png

ANSI/Stanley: “Aerobraking trajectory established.â€Â

Bill: “It’s likely we’ll need to make another adjustment later on to regain this heading.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Understood.â€Â

Lengas: “We’ve got enough fuel to make it, too. We may well have managed a trip to Duna from Moho, but this was the better option, really.â€Â

Bob: “Agreed.â€Â

Bill: “We’re definitely in the clear with this.â€Â

Lengas: “It’ll give me some much needed supplies, too, plus a good once over of the ship.â€Â

Bob: “It’s a big ship, Lengas, and I don’t think we’re sticking around Kerbin for long.â€Â

Lengas: “I can manage it, even if I don’t have Sid to help me…â€Â

Bill: “I’m sure you can.â€Â

A few more days later…

KM94qvT.png

gqsbr3Y.png

Dean: “Welcome home, buddy.â€Â

Buzz: “Home? Oh yeah, Kerbin. Pretty planet.â€Â

Dean: “It is indeed, and remember us fighting together over it?â€Â

Buzz: “Yeah, damn Firespitter…â€Â

Dean: “Well, it wasn’t really Firespitter so much as it was Krumer, was it?â€Â

Buzz: “Dunno, they aligned themselves with him and killed more than a few of us.â€Â

Dean: “Eh, I suppose.â€Â

Mac: “Dean, what are you talking about?â€Â

Dean: “Our little tangle with Firespitter. He seems to be ok when he’s talking about that.â€Â

Mac: “Damn it man, I wanted him thinking peaceful thoughts!â€Â

Dean: “Well, he seems quite at peace with himself right now. Whether it’s Kerbin out the windows or our time together is up for debate, but he’s ok. Besides, Ed suggested I talk to him about this sort of stuff.â€Â

Mac: “Listen, I’ve said it before, I don’t mind you talking to him, but for Kod’s sake, don’t talk about conflict or danger!â€Â

Dean: “Geez, calm it down a little bit, would you?â€Â

Mac: “Calm down? Maybe if you hadn’t been so ignorant of what I’ve said, then maybe I would have got so riled up!â€Â

Dean: “You’re pinning this on me? What the hell is wrong with you, man?! I’m just talking to my friend and you’re making this ridiculously big deal out of it! And I just said that Ed was fine with it!â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “Alert: Crew fight in centrifuge.â€Â

Mac: “A big deal? It is a frakking big deal! He’s not sane! He needs care! And here you are, messing with his head!â€Â

Dean: “Messing with his head!? My Kod man, you’re crazy!â€Â

Buzz: “Guys…â€Â

Mac: “Me, crazy? Go and look in a mirror, you idiot!â€Â

Buzz: “Guys!â€Â

Jeb: “What the frak is going on over here?â€Â

Dean: “What’s going on? I’ll tell you what the hell is going on! Mac’s being a complete b****** about me talking to Buzz!â€Â

Mac: “I’ve told you not to talk to him about conflict or danger, and yet here you are talking to him about your ‘little tangle with Firespitter’!â€Â

Dean: “And in case you hadn’t noticed, he was fine with it!â€Â

Jeb: “Alright, that’s enough! Both of you! Dean, if Mac tells you to not do something, you don’t do it! Mac, if Dean is just having a conversation with Buzz, you stay the hell out of it, understood!?â€Â

Dean: “I…â€Â

Mac: “What the hellâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“

Jeb: “Understood?!â€Â

Dean: “Yes Captain.â€Â

Mac: “Of course, Captain.â€Â

Jeb: “Now, you’re both off duty until I say. Apologise and cool off in different places, ok?â€Â

Dean: “Fine, I’m sorry Mac.â€Â

Mac: “I apologise, too.â€Â

Jeb: “Alright then. We’ll be heading into the aerobrake soon, so make sure you’re all set. Buzz, you feeling alright?â€Â

Buzz: “As well as one can feel in my condition. I have ups and downs with this, and I’m in an up at the moment.â€Â

Jeb: “Good to know. Now please, don’t fight again.â€Â

Mac: “Ok then.â€Â

Dean: “I’ll be in the big hab if you need me for anything.â€Â

CnS5bS1.png

Wsfe5Uf.png

Bob: “Solar panels retracted.â€Â

Jeb: “Good. Oh, err, anyone in the centrifuge should probably get out, this is going to be a bit like Eve, just less, umm… Eve-like.â€Â

Bill: “Say, what the hell was that all about, Jeb?â€Â

Jeb: “Oh, Dean and Mac were yelling at each other about a conversation Dean was having with Buzz. Stupid, really.â€Â

Bill: “Right then.â€Â

Lengas: “Jeb, the ship’s ready for whatever we’ll encounter now. Hull integrity is at 94%, and the heat shields are fully prepared.â€Â

Jeb: “Thanks Lengas.â€Â

Lengas: “No problem.â€Â

ANSI/Stanley: “T-minus 30 seconds to atmospheric entry.â€Â

Jeb: “Let’s do this.â€Â

Bill: “Not much choice otherwise, now.â€Â

Jeb: “…Shut up.â€Â

Bill: “Hehehe…â€Â

~snip

Jeb: “Hmm, let’s see what we’ve got here… wait, Duna? What the… oh. Oh my. Stanley, archive this message with only my security clearance.â€Â

~snip

I know exactly what's going on here........

EDIT: I just finished reading the chapter and now I feel like an idiot...

Edited by Space_Kraken

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.