• Asteroidal Resources
    • Asteroid Utilities
    • Asteroid Repurpose Systems
    • Asteroid Recycling Technologies
    • Asteroid Harvesting Tools
    • Asteroid Utilization Pack
    • Mineable Asteroids
    • Asteroid Kerbalization System

Great mod, but there seems to be a problem with tweak scale. When you scale down the "jaw" the max-amount of rock goes down from 1.0 to .13 or so. Since the "drill-collect rock up to 1.0 units-vent-do it again" cycle never reaches 1.0 the process cannot continue. I had to edit the rock value in the persistence file by hand, and now its working again.

But nice work, i really like the effects, from iva it looks like 2001 :)

Thanks for the bug report! Will take a look

Trying to hollow out a behemoth asteroid i ran into a couple problems.

1) It doesn't play well with time warping. Time warps just fine, but the rate the total space goes up doesn't match the time warp. Meaning a behemoth asteroid can take hours(real world) to hollow out.

2) When i tried to attach a 2nd Jaw to accelerate the mining, the 2 different jaws were reporting different total space.

3) I seem to recall after detaching a jaw it still listed empty/total space... which begs the question, do i have to leave the jaw attached to the asteroid forever? Or... If i use the same jaw to hollow out multiple asteroids would all their space get transferred with the jaw?

Trying to hollow out a behemoth asteroid i ran into a couple problems.

1) It doesn't play well with time warping. Time warps just fine, but the rate the total space goes up doesn't match the time warp. Meaning a behemoth asteroid can take hours(real world) to hollow out.

2) When i tried to attach a 2nd Jaw to accelerate the mining, the 2 different jaws were reporting different total space.

3) I seem to recall after detaching a jaw it still listed empty/total space... which begs the question, do i have to leave the jaw attached to the asteroid forever? Or... If i use the same jaw to hollow out multiple asteroids would all their space get transferred with the jaw?

Good questions, I'll take a look, I have some ideas on how to address all three of your points.

• 2 weeks later...
How are things going with this mod, since it looks like it would be amazing being able to set up a refueling system in space that holds lots of fuel.

I have all of the models and textures from WaRi, so now I am writing the probe code, moving all of the parts into Unity and KSP, and changing how some parts work based on issues with multiple klaws, etc.

So it's in that quiet phase where I do a lot of typing :) Sadly, I'm away from my dev PC this week, which means that I can't do any models, etc. nor work on my MKS or HA code bases (this is why I have some time for Karbonite, as I need something to do at the hotel vs. just watch TV)

A quick update, more on gameplay, etc.

We're wrapping up the stuff on this mod as well (can't wait to get home to my dev PC!)

The probe will determine the chemical makeup of an asteroid.

The Jaw will vaporize and the asteroid into rock. There will be an option to choose whether to keep the rock, or to jettison it into space.

If the rock is kept, any number of converters (Water, Karbonite, Ore, etc.) can be used to process the rock into it's corresponding element. Requires a probe to have analyzes the asteroid, since this impacts conversion rate.

The tank bits are for the expanding tanks, independent of the asteroid content

The crew hatch just adds crew capacity to your asteroid :)

If the rock is kept, any number of converters (Water, Karbonite, Ore, etc.) can be used to process the rock into it's corresponding element.

What do you know, you can draw water from a rock!

anyway, i'm glad to see this mod is progressing, and i look forward to using it

What do you know, you can draw water from a rock!

anyway, i'm glad to see this mod is progressing, and i look forward to using it

Well technically you can ;) I was bummed when I realized I have a whole chunk of dev not with me, so I can't progress more than some MM configs today while I wait for more Karbonite parts. May switch back over for a bit while I wait for my plane, and fiddle with how to handle out of atmosphere resources.

If your saving the rock, you should save it for a mass driver http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_driver#Spacecraft-based_mass_drivers. That way, you can use the asteroid itself to bring it to Kerbin.

You have no idea how much fun work you just gave me ;)

Its like your writing half the game I wanted from Squad :) Keep up the awesome work.

Thanks!

Hey RoverDude, how well would OKS play with hollow asteroids do you think?

seeing that he makes MKS, OKS and Kerbonite.... well, i guess it is intended that also hollow asteroids play a role :) If i recall correct he mentioned asteroid mining in the MKS thread.

seeing that he makes MKS, OKS and Kerbonite.... well, i guess it is intended that also hollow asteroids play a role :) If i recall correct he mentioned asteroid mining in the MKS thread.

Correct. Currently working on asteroid resource analysis - the rest of the bits are pretty much done, but I have to do some refactoring with mining in mind.

So I am getting this spammed in my log infinity just trying to fly through space with the storage parts on my rocket.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Firespitter.customization.FSfuelSwitch.updateResourcePersistence () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Firespitter.customization.FSfuelSwitch.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

24.2 32 bit

So I am getting this spammed in my log infinity just trying to fly through space with the storage parts on my rocket.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at Firespitter.customization.FSfuelSwitch.updateResourcePersistence () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Firespitter.customization.FSfuelSwitch.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Part.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

24.2 32 bit

Firespitter is out of date. I'd hold off on this one as it's not 24.2 ready yet.