Thanks KSP team :)

togfox

There's an app... I mean a thread for that, stickied at the top of this forum ;)

And lo! It was Merged/Devoured/Appropriated/Melded/Fused! (Feel free to hit the Report button if you think a thread needs to be moved or merged, so we can look at it and get to it quicker in future, but thanks!)

*bows to the dev team*

I have a size E incoming on a collision course.

In 30 days.

Only have 6 nodes unlocked from the tech tree... *cries*

Thank you!

30 days is plenty of time to open the whole tech tree. Or most of it if you count in Kerbin days. Or you can just ignore that asteroid, it's not going to pass 23 km altitude limit. Or go to tracking station and select to stop tracking it and it will go poof in a little while.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a short note to the Dev team. I was going through a bad patch a year or so ago; I'd split up with my long term girlfriend and was very much down and in a rut. Life didn't seem to have much point at all and I was in quite a bad way. I'd always had an interest in space and astronomy when I was 8-9 years old, but had generally let my interest wane a bit. I was looking on steam for something to take my mind off things, when KSP took my eye. Not expecting much - the space genre never gets anything right, after all - I bought it and loaded it up.

My first rocket exploded.

The one after that, too.

After the sixth or seventh rocket had scattered itself over the KSC, I finally achieved sub orbital flight, and the feeling of achievement was palpable. Here was something special. For a whole afternoon, I forgot about my worries and proceeded to scatter pieces of flaming wreckage all over the place, giggling away as I did so. From that point on, whenever I felt down, I loaded KSP and forgot about it. A year later, and I have a wonderful fiancé, I'm studying astrophysics and I spend most evenings in the garden with an 8 inch reflector telescope. And I can trace it all back to one cold, miserable April afternoon when I bought KSP.

So, yeah. That's kind of it. Thanks KSP team :)

I would like to add to the pile of thanks.

KSP is a really awesome game. It's super-fun, and at the same time you find learning a bit about real space exploration concepts!

Even stock, the game is wonderful. Its many mods make it even better!

I would like to share one of my early experiences that made me fall in love with the game. This happens to be with the ScanSat mod. Back when the Mun was the furthest I had explored, I sent a satellite there and was able to get a fairly complete map, including anomalies. So I tried to land near one of them - it took me a few tries, helped by the maneuver node indicators, to learn that it was a good idea to adjust my orbit a bit early.

When I managed to land, I found nearby a magnificent arch! This was so much cooler than what I was expecting. So I knew what to do for my next few launches: try to get a small rocket to fly through the arch!

This was a great kind of "anomaly" because it was something that I could play with, making up my own rules. I have only seen one other anomaly so far (an ethereal monolith), and the arch remains my favorite. I hope other similar anomalies exist (or will be added), just places where the planet (or moon)'s geography is a bit interesting. Perhaps somewhere we'll find a small perfectly-round pedestal, on which to try to precision-land? Perhaps some platforms we can send our kerbals walking on and try not to miss a step?

Thank you for making such an amazing game!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say thanks to everyone as well. I just updated from .23 a few days ago... I had gotten a little burned out from spending all my free time on it and was taking a break, intending to come back when .24 was released. Instead, .23.5 showed up and I was a little skeptical at first. After giving it a spin I like the tweaks and added parts, and I seem to have gotten a slight FPS increase as well. I haven't captured or diverted an asteroid yet but I'm close to sending out a mission for that. I gotta hand it to the devs here, some other companies that won't be named probably would have called it a day and slapped a $60 price tag on it a few versions back.

I've been waiting for a game like this for years and just didn't know it. I used to design my own aircraft in X-Plane and keep wishing there was more to the space aspect of it... I like to say this is what Spore's space stage should have been; in general I've been disappointed with pretty much every space-related game I've played because of the lack of realism or depth or both. This game is maddeningly difficult, even stressful sometimes and the learning curve is steep at first but I just keep coming back for more. I've learned more about orbital mechanics and physics than I probably would have from forcing myself to read any number of books or articles on the subject otherwise, and had loads of fun while doing it. I always try to turn my friends onto KSP and some of them love it (one even found it before I did and I'm holding a grudge that he didn't tell me about it), some of them try the demo and ragequit, but a lot of people just don't seem to "get it" so I guess it takes a certain type of gamer to really appreciate it.

Bottom line is even as a game that's still relatively early in development I feel like I got more than my money's worth out of it before I even made it out of Kerbin's SOI in version .22, and I'd go as far as to say I probably would have happily paid the $16 and some change (.23 gearup sale) just for the demo. There are still so many things I haven't found or done, the modding community makes the possibilities endless and I love seeing the crazy and elaborate things other players come up with. I've actually only seen one anomaly so far since I haven't gone out hunting them yet and I'm not even sure it wasn't a glitch -- In .23 (I think?) one of my Mun probes passed over a giant oval shaped hole that I swear I could see stars on the other side of, but I crashed several km away from it and haven't been able to find that area again. I think I have a screenshot of it buried somewhere.

I'll stop rambling but I'll say this much: I can't wait to see what the final version looks like.

This game is arguably one of the best I have ever played. I had a typical interest in astronomy as a child. Once I started playing KSP, that interest came back. It's always nice to have your childhood come back, even if it is through watching a rocket explode.

Hi guys!

Been playing KSP for a month or so, and I have to say, this is the game I was dreaming about a very long time.

It is the perfect combination between BARIS (Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space) and Orbiter. BARIS is an early/mid 90s game focused on the Space Race. It is a game about space program management mostly with little simulation elements. Orbiter on the other hand is a great spaceflight simulator taking realism to a new level (as far as realism can go on a PC) and it is quite a hard game to master properly.

Well, I love spaceflight and everything related to it. I was playing BARIS just a week before I discovered KSP. No other game kept me playing it for 20 years!!! Until now.. Good ol' BARIS can be put to rest now..

I can hardly wait for the Contract Expansion. Having a budget will add to KSP the management part that I loved so much in BARIS. With it, I will finally become the virtual chief designer that takes into account all the aspects of a space program: design, research and science, budget/contracts and mission coordination.

What I would also like to see is time having a meaning at least in Career Mode. Research taking time to complete, ships taking time to assemble, the tech tree made more realistic (the science point cost, don't want to fly 8 missions to Mun and unlock the whole tree).

Thank you Squad for making this game.

Played BARIS a bit, Orbiter a lot; on KSP concur it has that all (and more).

As you know KSP is still far from completion, and some of the features already in game will have to be revised, balanced and polished for the *final* release. Certainly the tech tree, characteristics of parts, and everything related to budget and cost. The contracts aspect is just another piece added to the puzzle.

Many players feel the same as you about career mode. Time is not developed, though there is one mod in development (KCT) that will bring it in the equation.

Budget management is one aspect dealt with by another mod (MCE). And the mods dealing with alternative tech trees and science are too many to name. The strength of KSP is not only the good game concept, but also its fine community of modders.

Hi,

I would like to say a big thanks to the community and the devs for all your hard working in making KSP what it is..

Alot of time spent in game. Hours and hours of fun with my young son who cheers each time we crash- (2years old on 21/5) He cant get enough of the rockets. and loves making them kerbals jump on moons.

Keep up the good work--

Thanks

Dennis k_cheesy.gif -- Fly safe

Oh and [5 Stars] for the Dev team for being part of the community and not leaving us to fend for our selves. k_cool.gif

Edited by Darkheart
Edit out double post-

• 2 weeks later...

Squad,

I've been a gamer for 18ish years and I've seen countless games - some great some terrible. With all of my sincerity, Kerbal Space Program has been the best experience I've ever had in gaming. Not only has it been entertaining and fun it has inspired me to better learn astrophysics and rekindled a love of space that I haven't had in awhile. Making a game 'fun' is relatively easy, but making a game that educates as well as being fun is dang near impossible. I love how responsive you've been to the community, 'sponsoring' streamers, and reaching out to educators. I have told everyone who may be even remotely related in this game to buy it and y'all are truly an example to follow for other game developers.

Thank you,

--Nate

Squad,

I've been a gamer for 18ish years and I've seen countless games - some great some terrible. With all of my sincerity, Kerbal Space Program has been the best experience I've ever had in gaming. Not only has it been entertaining and fun it has inspired me to better learn astrophysics and rekindled a love of space that I haven't had in awhile. Making a game 'fun' is relatively easy, but making a game that educates as well as being fun is dang near impossible. I love how responsive you've been to the community, 'sponsoring' streamers, and reaching out to educators. I have told everyone who may be even remotely related in this game to buy it and y'all are truly an example to follow for other game developers.

Thank you,

--Nate

I was going to post something similar to Nate's post.. but he already did it! So ditto for me on this message.. fantastic game. And we aren't even to release 1.0 yet!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks KSP Team, you have changed the way we think of rocket science...

You have made many psycho killers

You have made many engineers

You have made many smile

You have made many fans

You have made many nerds

You are the heroes of today

but along the way, somehow, you made this...

http://s1296.photobucket.com/user/Alfie_Bourne/media/BRINGMETHECHILD_zps444344e1.jpg.html

Even in its "Alpha" stage, with its incomplete Career mode (soon to be substantially upgraded), I've put more time in and gotten more enjoyment out of this game than any other. And I've been playing games since the 80's when I got my first Nintendo.

Every other game I have has been completely neglected since I installed KSP. 265 hours on my Steam counter... and it's not slowing down.

I'm so glad you guys are doing what you do. Please keep up the good work. Thanks.

Thanks KSP Team, you have changed MY LIFE... Really

Never before have I lost so many hours to a game nore has a game ever entertained for so long... YEARS not weeks or months but Years now!!

And I'm more addicted then ever, reading post after post for the latest news and marvelous creations from the Kommunity

Thank you and thank you again SQUAD :kiss::kiss::blush:

Edited by KandoKris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.