[0.90] Orbital Material Science version 0.6

N3h3mia

This is my christmas present to the best game community I know, thanks for your patience. I just released an update for the Orbital Material Science. Now the mod works with KSP 0.90. Get it on course

New in Version 0.3.90

• Works without the Station Science Mod. You no longer need the Station Science Mod for some experiments. This should help to maintain this mod.
  • The Cool Flames Experiment is now called Cool Flames Investigation (CFI) after it’s real life example.
  • Configurations for Connected Living Space contribution by micha. Thanks!

I hope to get some additional work done in the next 2 days.

I managed to get some of my ideas done. Watch the video for more details on the update.

I have some ideas for the future:

• IVA for the MEP-825
  • Better models and textures
  • Low tech science parts for early science

What would you like to see?

Does this mod conflict with Station Science or can I use them together? An idea I have for this mod is Electron Beam Freeform Fabrication (EBF3) Experiments. http://www.nasa.gov/topics/technology/features/ebf3.html

This has a lot of promise for metal manufacturing in space and is currently being investigated by NASA Langley.

The mod should work fine alongside Station Science, older version of the mod even depended on Station Science. But I decided to get rid of this dependency because each dependency increases the maintenance work. Thanks for the suggestion when I have time to add new stuff I'll have a closer look at EBF3.

How about some contracts, like in Station Science? (It has "Conduct an experiment while in orbit of planet and then return it back to Kerbin" contracts).

That is a really good idea. I'll check this for the next release.

Thanks for the feedback. I had some time today to implement some of my ideas for early science. The basic idea is to add a simple experiment holder that can be attached to the outside of a space craft after it reached orbit. Then place a experiment on the holder and run the experiment. After completion of the experiment store both parts in the payload carrier and return to Kerbin to get the sweet sweet science. I used the Mir Environmental Effects Payload (MEEP) as a inspiration for this. The new series of experiments are called Kerbal Environmental Effects Study (KEES). Here are some pictures of the things I've done so far, some of the parts are just placeholders. At the moment I use KAS to store and attach the parts.

I try to release version 0.5 of OMS on 4. of January. The new version brings early science with the Kerbal Environmental Effects Study (KEES), contracts for the KEES experiments and some Icons for Alternate Resource Panel. I had to push contracts for the other parts and the IVA for MEP-825 to a later version, because I'd like to get the things I have out to you before I have to focus on the exams ahead.

As always enjoy sciences and let me know if you like the mod.

In the new version of Orbital Material Science I created the Kerbal version of the Mir Environmental Effects Payload which tested materials for the ISS. In KSP you get early science and contracts.

You need Kerbal Attachment System to use the new experiments. I'll try to develop a workaround for installations without KAS for a future version. But now I need to focus an the exams ahead.

I started a Wiki it's not yet complete but the best source for detailed information on parts and contracts, usage and even some future plans.

Edited by N3h3mia

Hi N3h3mia,

I love your mod a lot and trying to play the 0.4 version in 0.25 (as my campaign is still stuck there). So far it went well, however in my last docking attempt (of Kibbal of the station science mod) suddenly the material lab left it's position and flew off into nirvana. The attached exposure platform miracously stayed in position around the station, fixed by invisible force fields. In addition the escaping Lab seems to have destabilized the station orbit and now I'm trying reloads to see if this is a one time bug or a persistent problem.

If you can reproduce this please send me your safe game and a list of the mods you use preferably on github. I have currently no idea what could cause this. Hopefully this was the just the krakken hitting you.

I, too, have trouble rendezvousing and docking with the MSL. However, my problem is when using MechJeb. This is not a MechJeb problem, though. It is reproducible consistently.

Scenario:

I use MJ's Rendezvous Planner to plan Hohmann transfer. I then execute it at the maneuver node. After that burn, I use MJ's Rendezvous Auto-pilot (RAP) to place me at 50 meters from target vessel (MSL). When rendezvousing with the first MSL and MJ's RAP, my active vessel (three modules) stopped at 200 meters from the MSL and would not approach closer. I tried this multiple times, same results. I then tried using MJ's Docking Auto-pilot (DAP) with Navyfish's DPAI, and DPAI would not lock-on to the target docking port I selected; indicators were bouncing all over the place. MJ's DAP would not lock-on to the docking port either. Even using MJ's SMART A.S.S. TGT (-Par) wouldn't successfully target it. As I watched, the MSL actually exploded.

I then launched another MSL and attempted to rendezvous and dock with RAP and DAP. Results were similar.

It was not the fault of the active vessel, which had the three modules I wanted to install to the MEL. I tried rendezvousing and docking to a different target vessel with RAP and DAP. Worked flawlessly.

There is either something in the MSL or the Platform part that is broken.

sidebar: Don't really need the Science from these experiments, as my career tech tree is complete. I just wanted to do something else in addition to Station Science.

EDIT: after another few failed attempts at rendezvousing, I just finally removed this mod. Perhaps a future version will work.

Edited by Apollo13

I ran it again, this time not time accelerating or switching vehicles once I got into the 2300 meter range when the target station was loaded up and it happened again. At around 300 meters I saw the material station fly away. I will send the save game tomorrow together with the list of mods.

Hi Apollo13 I could reproduce and fix your problem with MechJeb. So if you like give version 0.5.1 a try.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran it again, this time not time accelerating or switching vehicles once I got into the 2300 meter range when the target station was loaded up and it happened again. At around 300 meters I saw the material station fly away. I will send the save game tomorrow together with the list of mods.

Try version 0.5.1 if this issue was related to what caused the MechJeb problem then the fix in version 0.5.1 would fix this.

You need Kerbal Attachment System to use the new experiments. I'll try to develop a workaround for installations without KAS for a future version. But now I need to focus an the exams ahead.

So if I were to install 0.5 from 0.4, can I still use everything as is without KAS and just avoid the new experiment until it works without?

So if I were to install 0.5 from 0.4, can I still use everything as is without KAS and just avoid the new experiment until it works without?

Yes you just can't use the new experiments because the need KAS. The rest is still the same.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you just can't use the new experiments because the need KAS. The rest is still the same.

Mabye you can use them when you attach them in the VAB. I never tried this.

In the next few weeks I have to focus on the exams, afterwards I may find some time for the planed content. One thing that is very time consuming and I did not find the time to to it properly is test play the new versions. If someone here likes to volunteer as a tester and get access to new stuff before release please send me a PM. Feedback on the planed stuff is welcome too.

Hi Apollo13 I could reproduce and fix your problem with MechJeb. So if you like give version 0.5.1 a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Try version 0.5.1 if this issue was related to what caused the MechJeb problem then the fix in version 0.5.1 would fix this.

I will try and give feedback.

I performed a second docking today and all went well. Hjowever I'm not sure if the crew hatch is in the position as the graphics indicate. Hovering over the hatch does not prompt the 'crew hatch' pop up. It seems the hatch is somewhat off the graphical hatch towards the bottom of the module (i.e. in the direection the ladder is leading). Also is that a grabbable ladder? I couldn't and I was not asked to [F ] grab it. However my angle of approach was terrible and the ladder would have been overhead.

On a different note, how about adding zero-gravity single crystal growth? A coulpe of hours time, some kW of power and NO inertia (i.e. acceleration, RCS, docking etc.) Could that be done?

I, too, have trouble rendezvousing and docking with the MSL. However, my problem is when using MechJeb. This is not a MechJeb problem, though. It is reproducible consistently.

Scenario:

I use MJ's Rendezvous Planner to plan Hohmann transfer. I then execute it at the maneuver node. After that burn, I use MJ's Rendezvous Auto-pilot (RAP) to place me at 50 meters from target vessel (MSL). When rendezvousing with the first MSL and MJ's RAP, my active vessel (three modules) stopped at 200 meters from the MSL and would not approach closer. I tried this multiple times, same results. I then tried using MJ's Docking Auto-pilot (DAP) with Navyfish's DPAI, and DPAI would not lock-on to the target docking port I selected; indicators were bouncing all over the place. MJ's DAP would not lock-on to the docking port either. Even using MJ's SMART A.S.S. TGT (-Par) wouldn't successfully target it. As I watched, the MSL actually exploded.

I then launched another MSL and attempted to rendezvous and dock with RAP and DAP. Results were similar.

It was not the fault of the active vessel, which had the three modules I wanted to install to the MEL. I tried rendezvousing and docking to a different target vessel with RAP and DAP. Worked flawlessly.

There is either something in the MSL or the Platform part that is broken.

sidebar: Don't really need the Science from these experiments, as my career tech tree is complete. I just wanted to do something else in addition to Station Science.

EDIT: after another few failed attempts at rendezvousing, I just finally removed this mod. Perhaps a future version will work.

So I think I finally found where my problem was coming from, I have the same thing happening to me now but I dont have Mach Jeb installed, and I dont know how to fix it

I posted on Support for modded installs please help here is the link

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/106296-My-stations-get-Destroied-no-matter-what-when-I-get-close-for-Rendezveu

So I think I finally found where my problem was coming from, I have the same thing happening to me now but I dont have Mach Jeb installed, and I dont know how to fix it

I posted on Support for modded installs please help here is the link

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/106296-My-stations-get-Destroied-no-matter-what-when-I-get-close-for-Rendezveu

This bug was fixed with version 0.5.1 so make shure you use the latests version.

- - - Updated - - -

I performed a second docking today and all went well. Hjowever I'm not sure if the crew hatch is in the position as the graphics indicate. Hovering over the hatch does not prompt the 'crew hatch' pop up. It seems the hatch is somewhat off the graphical hatch towards the bottom of the module (i.e. in the direection the ladder is leading). Also is that a grabbable ladder? I couldn't and I was not asked to [F ] grab it. However my angle of approach was terrible and the ladder would have been overhead.

On a different note, how about adding zero-gravity single crystal growth? A coulpe of hours time, some kW of power and NO inertia (i.e. acceleration, RCS, docking etc.) Could that be done?

Got got a similar feedback yesterday on curse, I'll have a look at the airlock and the ladder. The ladder is grabbale, but it looks like sometimes the Kerbals get kicked off the ladder.

The crystal growth experiment is a really good idea, I'll add it to my list. Making g-force constraints for a running experiments should be an easy thing to do. But it will take some time for the next release to come. I'll have exams coming up the first one is on friday. And then I'd like to get the things that are already in the mod into better shape (create a workaround for KEES without KAS, and contracts for the stations experiments).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.