Quick game reviews

Javster

I have an idea: I'm going to make very quick, 10 seconds review of all the games I own and have finished/almost finished. Since you can find stuff about gameplay, graphics, etc. anywhere, I will rate games on these criteria:

Modability: How easily you can mod the game

Stability: How much the game crashes, lags, or generally fails to work

Loading times: How long the game takes to load up

I think these can be important issues while playing a game. It doesn't matter how good the gameplay is if the game crashes every five minutes, and takes half an hour to load up.

The scores will be out of 5.

The reviews:

Kerbal Space Program

Modability

4/5

The game can be easily modded, although a way of enabling or disabling mods without restarting the game would be nice.

Stability

2/5

Not stable.

Loading times

2/5

Can get quite long, especially when adding mods. Slow down when tabbed out.

Prison Architect

Modability

5/5

Very easy to mod, integrated with the Steam Workshop.

Stability

4/5

The game has never crashed. I do get annoying warnings which don't actually affect the game.

Loading times

4/5

Quite quick to load, but always loads up a new, blank prison, as it has no main menu screen.

TF2:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83004-Quick-game-reviews?p=1213178&viewfull=1#post1213178

Garry's Mod:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83004-Quick-game-reviews?p=1213178&viewfull=1#post1213178

Rimworld is post #9

Starmade is post #10

Space engine is post #11

Civilization IV: Complete is post #12

Coming soon: GTA IV, Papers Please, FTL.

If you have any questions, comments, ideas, death threats, more criteria etc. please post below.

Edited by Javster

Garry's Mod

Modability

5/5

It has Steam Workshop. And there are many, many addons for GMOD

Stability

4/5

It occasionally crashes, but not too often

Loading times

3/5

It takes quite a long time to join servers, but it's probably due to my internet

Radiant (game for IOS):

modability:

0/5

incapable of being modded

Stability:

5/5

has never crashed

loading times:

5/5

relatively low; takes between 1-3 seconds

Maybe modability should not be applied to mobile games (in fact most mobile games don't really count as games)

Rimworld

Modability

3/5

You can't add core game features, but adding blocks and items is very easy.

Stability

4/5

It's very stable(Never crashed for me, but sometimes it does not load mods...)

Loading times

4/5

It loads almost instantly, if you mod it it may take a bit more.

Starmade

Modability

2/5

Very basic modding (Just block properties), but if a server mods the game, the modification will auto-download to user's computer (Until you log-off)

Stability

3/5

It works very well in Singleplayer, but you can crash on multiplayer servers.

Loading times

3/5

Takes a few seconds to load, multiplayer can take a bit more.

Space Engine

Modability

4/5

You can create ships, mess with generators of the planets, mod the planets. But the mod community isnt big.

Stability

3/5

Im getting random crashes, it may be related to my integrated graphics card.

Loading times

4/5

Theres only one loading screen at the start, it takes about 5-10 seconds. But may lag when loading textures when you are on the surface of some planet or moon.

Overal score: 5/5, the game is awesome.

Civilization IV: Complete

Modability:

3/5: Easily modded, but you can only use one mod at a time and you have to restart the game to load or unload the mod.

Stability:

4.9/5: Never crashes, but can be slow between turns.

Loading Times:

3/5: Can be slow, but not too bad.

Gameplay (since I didn't see one in the format):

4.5/5: Pretty good, but some annoying bits in the border and combat systems.

Civilization IV: Complete

Modability:

3/5: Easily modded, but you can only use one mod at a time and you have to restart the game to load or unload the mod.

Stability:

4.9/5: Never crashes, but can be slow between turns.

Loading Times:

3/5: Can be slow, but not too bad.

Gameplay (since I didn't see one in the format):

4.5/5: Pretty good, but some annoying bits in the border and combat systems.

I'll add a link to this on the main thread.

Side note about gameplay: I think that most other reviews on big gaming sites are focused on gameplay, plot, graphics etc. which is why I didn't include them

I want these reviews to be on the technical aspects which are slightly harder to find.

• 2 weeks later...

Minecraft

Modability: 4.5/5: There are lots of mods, but recent updates has crashed the modding community, and it's taking awhile to build back up.

Stability: 4.5/5: If you do lots of TNT, it crashes, but otherwise is stable.

Loading times: 4.5/5: Vanilla install loads blistering fast, but with mods it's a lot slower

Gameplay: 5/5: I've put more hours into this than ksp (beacuse I found it sooner :P) an amazing game with amazing mods.

5/5, but gets boring after awhwile. THEN YOU GET MODS AND ITS FUN AGAIN :D

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

Modability: NaN: You can't really mod a 3DS game, but the game does have DLCs, which there aren't many of.

Stability: 5/5: The game has never crashed, frozen or lagged out for me. Beautiful.

Loading times: 4.5/5: The game itself is very quick when loading, the longest times rarely being over 10 seconds.

Gameplay: 4/5: The game itself has very deep and interesting plot, and the dungeons themselves are tricky and always changing. Some dungeons are so difficult you just want to scream, which is rare in a kid's game.

Overall: 4/5: The plot gets really deep and moving near the halfway point of the game, and the ending is insanely sad. The gameplay could've been better, but it kept me pretty intrigued the whole game through. I also love the characters, which all unique in their own ways, whether they be funny, motivating or just plain unforgettable.

• 1 month later...

Skyrim:

Modability: 4.5/5, lots of mods available. You can switch them on or off ingame, but I never felt the need to do so.

Stability: 4.5/5, never had a crash in an unmodded install, but the vanilla game has quite a few bugs. Luckily there are mods available that fix a lot of bugs.

Loading times: 4/5, it loads pretty quickly and the loading times don't get significantly larger even with lots of mods.

Overall: 4.5/5

GTA IV

Modability: 2.5/5 very hard to mod, range of mod is fairly limited

Stability: 1/5 crashes a lot, especially with mods. I got a few BSODs from it too.

Loading times: 3/5 meh, not too long, but not short either. Several screens to click through all with loading times between them.

Ha, just as I was praising Papers Please for its stability, BSOD!

Edited by Javster

Gods Will Be Watching.

Modability: 0/10 No mods available, no plan for mod support.

Stability: 7/10 Random errors here and there, but it's a new release.

Loading Times 10/10 Dialogue hides the loading times and you can click as fast as you need to to skip it.

BUY THE FREAKING GAME NAOW.

Any reason for the ratings out of 10 instead of 5 like the standard? If just personal preference that's fine although it's easier to compare if everyone sticks to one scale.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.