Rover Wheel problems, New fault finding info UNITY wheel build package

Ah ok. If I have to have them support some amount of steering then I'll model it in, however as you guessed, the main intention is for them to be controlled by rotatrons via the attachment node style I've adopted. I can imagine when IR supports KOS scripts this will become a really powerful feature as you could coordinate all the wheels to do some amazing motions :D. Surface attachment would also be allowed but not the main use case. Assistance with setting up the unity scene when I get to that stage would be most welcome :)

It's just that kind of silly thing that ends up being a real headache and sends you on a total wild goose chase! It needs the steering stuff there, but it can be attached to a dummy object or simply zeroed.

The KOS scripting would be amazing, quite a lot like how Curiosity is guided. Very, very cool. Just shout when you're ready/stuck or whatever.

Ah yea, I remember that. Flexible suspension :D

Very early, i.e. modelled it from scratch a few hours ago, more to see the viability of the idea more than anything.

Looking forward to seeing how it all comes out. I'll try and get myself organised for that tutorial. Lots of stuff to cover :)

Actually, quite a few of us are UK/Europe based (SpannerMonkey, ZodiusInfuser and myself at least), yes? In which case, time zoning isn't an issue, so how about a live dev stream via twitch? Can be recorded for posterity, and should be more productive as you guys can ask questions/give input realtime as I'm going through it.

@lo-fi , and anyone else who's interested

Ref your alternate wheel hierarcy, no matter how i tried I couldn't get rid of an apparent wheel hover , mind you I use a more traditional horizontal arm design rather than your inclined wishbones, this in itself caused a few headaches because all the dummy's have to be offset of course because my wishbones dont point toward the places yours do.

What I've ended up with is a hybrid hierarchy, using your method to very effectively control the wishbones , but I've moved the axle under the suspension traverse parent , this has given me the planted look to the wheel I wanted .

Below a pic from unity scene higlighting the slight difference between the lo-fi hierarchy and my version notice that the axle pos in the hierarchy is very different, , that difference aside the system performs much better than the std Squad hierarchy which relies on items stretching to achive movement , rather than the realistic terrain following effect which either the lo-fi alternate or the spanner version give you.

Much respect to lo-fi for working it out in the first place

tNRJRO0.png

33ZewzM.png

Awesome, nice work. I struggled too, you have to be careful about the position constraints, they will hold the moved object to the targets transform position, not keep it the same place relative to the resting position. If you've got it working, great! It does need tailoring for each rig, but with it for the results, I think :) much head scratching...

Also, I've just written a plugin to smooth the steering input and make it progressive, so no more flick left and right suddenly. Looks so much better and makes for more stable dynamics. Small plugin which you're welcome to use/distribute and a trivial hierarchy change. Details to follow :D

The steering plugin is very good news, I'd begun to wonder if proportional sterring dependant on length of key press was possible via a plugin, as my wheels have got bigger and more complex the all or nothing nature of the stock steering has meant setting stupidly small keys on the steering curve to dimish turning angle in a reasonable fashion as vehicle speed increases. Th eplugin should make things a lot less tippy.

Further tests on secret project have been astonishing although at present confined to grav laden planets, it's definately the evolution of the round black things into something more futuristically possible. The stability compared to std alternatives is mind blowing leading to some very silly antics.

I keep surprising myself with what I'm able to code! Makes a huge difference not having digital steering :) Next up is anti roll bars, which will be a challenge in ksp, but I _think_ I can do it. Still tidying steering code and will send for you to test before release.

Ah, glad you're having fun with the bits from the skinkworks (well, they're green, right?)!

Do send me over some screen grabs, I'd love to see what you're up to. Landing gear is on the list too, I have some wicked ideas for effects and retract animations.

Another forum user is kindly texturing ad fast as he can, but I've been so busy modeling the pipeline is already rather large! Cannot wait to get this lot out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , well strangely i've been working on something like that , the snag so far is the steering component, I like the function to resemble real world as poss and at pres due to how the steering works the wheel turning intersects the components holding it which sucks.

Suspension components. technically you can have any number from 0 to however many you want, the visible parts of the suspension are deco only, all the suspension is taken care of in the wheel collider and hierarchy arrangement. This is especially true if you use the advanced smoothSteering hierarchy. typically though i use between 1 or 2 elements depends on the look I want.

Also working on a hub center steering setup for rovers that dont want wheels stuck out of the sides

Nice looking ski that should be fairly easy to rig up as a repulsor type affair, bit the bullet and imported that fwd format wheel to test and suprisingly it worked, it too uses a variation of hierarchy to get it all under control, seems that the longer you mess around with wheels and suspension the more you become aware of ways to mutate and abuse the system. Well up for a bit of twitching also

dWRhLco.png

lvO6W4K.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.