[WIP] Keva Launch System

I have finally motivated myself to make a mod for Kerbal Space Program! :D

The Keva Launch System is a family dedicated launch systems currently in development. The Keva family will be capable of carrying large payloads into LKO and beyond. The design utilizes asparagus staging with a 4/6/9 booster setup surrounding a central core booster. The central booster sports 4/9 V-1 Liquid-Fuel rocket motors and/or 1 V-2 Liquid-Fuel rocket motor. The 4/6/9 strap-on boosters are powered by an additional V-1 Liquid-Fuel rocket motor each. The second stage is powered by one VV-3 Liquid-Fuel Cryogenic rocket motor. The extra tall fairing of the HLV is tall enough to carry two city busses, or a large interplanetary vehicle, if you so choose. The KLS is a fully reusable rocket, as previously demonstrated by Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX), and can launch, land, and relaunch with as little time as it takes to refill the tanks. The motivation for this is, as we near the release of KSP 0.24, the idea of cost management becomes a more pressing matter. I feel the design I have should help minimize costs and increase profits. There are two current versions under development:

All I have so far are ideas in my head and real-world sized SolidWorks models. Over the next few days I will continue to work on the rough models and continue research.

I will post my progress as frequently as I have time for. :)

Progress Update 1:

In game sizes have been calculated. The model shown in the pictures above will be the Keva 3 2.5 meter launch system. I plan to have five different launch systems in the family, each with both a fairing option and a manned pod option. All of the rockets will use similar engine and booster setups. The first phase of the engineering process will be designing the V-1, V-2, and VV-3 engines that all versions of Keva share. The planned versions are:

Keva 1 (1.25 meter) - capable of carrying small satellites or 2 Kerbals

Keva 2 (2 meter) - capable of carrying medium satellites or 2 Kerbals

Keva 3 (2.5 meter) - capable of carrying large satellites/small modules or 3 Kerbals

Keva 4 (3 meter) - capable of carrying medium modules or 5 Kerbals

Keva 5 (3.75 meter) - capable of carrying large modules or 7 Kerbals

Also, reusability logistics have been thought out. Heavy influence is drawn from the SpaceX Dragon v.2 spacecraft with regards to reusable command pods. I am also looking into mod integration (such as DRE, FAR, CoolRockets, etc.), which should not be too difficult. I also have ideas for dedicated launch clamp system to make launches seem more realistic, but more on that later.

Thanks,

Jake :cool:

Edited by MrJakeSullivan
Update, and also change imgur source

Looks cool. I wish you luck with this!

Thanks! :)

I like the design of the KLS 3!

Good luck with your first mod, and jf you have any questions or problems you can contact me :)

Will do. Thank you very much!

For a first mod, they look great! I bet'cha have some experience with modelling/texturing, huh?

Thank you, good sir! I do have a background in modeling but none in texturing. I'll cross that road when I come to it.

Did you do a rocket some while ago, something like a Black Arrow or something?

I believe you may be confusing me with someone else. :)

Thanks for the support! I have models for all of the engines done. Once I figure out how to put them in game I'll upload a test fire of all of them. I plan to utilize some sweet rocket sounds from NASA's website. :cool:

Thanks,

Jake

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.