[v0.90/v.25]Transparent Pods v1.2.2 for KSP v0.90

nli2work

My sentiments exactly! I'm sitting here literally scratching my head (boring a hole is more likely; flying firespitter engine powered planes right now in the background; I have most of the engines from 7.0 PRE2 deleted [kept the electric stack mounted ones and the "Pro" versions {FS Tweakable ones; including the FS1TP - The one with the canted props and vacuum cleaner looking intake - Literally flying one right now without any problems}]). I really don't understand it. I built a regular helicopter (using canards it flips...not sure if it'll work better without) and this monstrosity I'm flying now (just under mach 1 capable with propellers....I'd hate to be anywhere within 30 square miles with how loud it has to be). :(

running x64 client by any chance? Had similar issue on x64 before Squad's official release on a heavy modded 23.5. There're plenty of good packs for Spaceplanes, I don't feel up to it challenging their turf. :D Speaking of space though... I have some engines for that too. :D

actually something you can try:

delete the MODEL{} blocks in the configs, and replace with mesh = part.mu; then copy the actual textures into every part folder. this way the configs are loading the textures directly from the part folder.

This won't work for the fuselage parts, you'll have to create individual folders for each piece and duplicating the textures.

if this solves the textures taking over SPH/VAB, then MODEL{} is the issue. It also means you'll have to live with a memory footprint that's a dozen times larger. but if you have 64bit and/or ATM it's probably not as much a pressing issue.

Heh, no, 32 bit. The game won't even START with 64 bit for me! Well, it starts, I get the loading screen, then the main menus, but as soon as I click on my saved game and it tries to load the space center scene? CTD, every time. Again, I figure it's probably some old mod or something that's incompatible with 0.24.x, but for some reason still works for me on 32 bit just out of sheer stubbornness. :)

Thanks for the advice, though. Again, not really needing airplane parts right now, but if I change my mind in the future I'll implement your suggestions to see if that works.

Later! :D

In your pack or Firespitter's? I have no engine in either pack named such. Attempting to pull down 6.3.4 now (am on a connection that's worse than dial-up and less stable; was hoping to avoid downloading 40 megabytes as that will take upwards of a half hour [if it even works]). Will check the Firespitter DLLs themselves for versioning changes. Like I said I'm using 7.0 PRE2 released on June 19 and all the engines in it work perfectly fine with KSP-I-E. (noseEngine, noseEngineElectric, oblongTailJet (tested/deleted), PROpeller, PROpellerElectric, propellerFolding, swampEngine (tested/deleted), turboProp, VTOLengine (tested/deleted), all the helicopter rotors / tail rotors, lancasterEngine/lancasterEngineGear(tested/deleted)).

In your pack or Firespitter's? I have no engine in either pack named such. Attempting to pull down 6.3.4 now (am on a connection that's worse than dial-up and less stable; was hoping to avoid downloading 40 megabytes as that will take upwards of a half hour [if it even works]). Will check the Firespitter DLLs themselves for versioning changes. Like I said I'm using 7.0 PRE2 released on June 19 and all the engines in it work perfectly fine with KSP-I-E. (noseEngine, noseEngineElectric, oblongTailJet (tested/deleted), PROpeller, PROpellerElectric, propellerFolding, swampEngine (tested/deleted), turboProp, VTOLengine (tested/deleted), all the helicopter rotors / tail rotors, lancasterEngine/lancasterEngineGear(tested/deleted)).

no no it's not Firespitter. :) they're not the problem. something simpler that I overlooked I think.

try the configs I PMed. overwrite the ones from v1.1; if it doesn't fix the issue; it won't do any harm.

Edited by nli2work

Tested Experimental Two. Completely broke the game. Propellers didn't render at all; and a couple seconds afterward the entire GUI went haywire. Altitude, ElectricCharge, Navball, basically anything that had a numeric value showed Nan/value. Entire Flight scene stopped rendering. Exact same issue that occurred the first time. Only new thing is that the props failed to render. Waiting on DropBox to connect to upload the output_log. Also same as last time broke any subsequent flight scenes without errors (had debug window up for both flights). Basically flight scene stops rendering entirely. Link to output_log

Testing experimental One now. Will Edit with results.

EDIT: Experimental One works! No errors; flight scene loads without incident. Only funkiness occurring is IntakeAtm is appearing twice on the engine's right-click menu. That's really confusing though; since KSP-I Should be adding the atmospheric intake automatically. I wonder what's causing it to fail on these engines and to (not only) succeed and double when explicitly set in the config.

Edited by Shad0wCatcher

EDIT: Experimental One works! No errors; flight scene loads without incident. Only funkiness occurring is IntakeAtm is appearing twice on the engine's right-click menu. That's really confusing though; since KSP-I Should be adding the atmospheric intake automatically. I wonder what's causing it to fail on these engines and to (not only) succeed and double when explicitly set in the config.

is it IntakeAtm twice? or IntakeAtm and IntakeAir?

Just IntakeAtm. I saw you had intake air defined explicitly; but no; just intakeatm showing twice. I took a SS; I'll see if it'll upload to imgur.

KSPI has it's own intake module AtmosphericIntake, that's probably automatically added. I'm testing with WaveFunction's experimental and the info window shows IntakeAtm and IntakeAir as one would expect.

Looking at the FNPlugin.AtmosphericIntake source code, NRE during FixedUpdate() would mean IntakeAtm is not defined on the part or vessel. I'm guessing IntakeAtm is defined else where, based on the IntakeAir resource on the part. so undefined IntakeAir -> undefined IntakeAtm in FixedUpdate() -> NRE spam every frame.

But I'll take a double display of IntakeAtm if it means no NREs+crash or other game breaking problems. :D

Edited by nli2work

DropBox Link to image.(Literally my ISP flat out refused to load imgur) Agreed. What I meant by explicitly defined is the resources as opposed to the modules. But definitely will take the twin display (it's about as unobtrusive as a display can be anyway) over crashes any day. I just find it really odd that the module would fail to load on these engines alone. Hell I even tested your radial models (the opposing turboprop and radial jet) from Karbonite that run off kerosene(liquidfuel....stupid real fuels changing all the things) and they worked flawlessly :/

Sweet, I'm getting another update together, this compatibility fix and a few small things, will put it up soon. I've been testing with Karbonite LF engines as well as mine; explicitly defining IntakeAir as resource seemed to resolve the issue. No NREs or other game breaking problems with FNPlugin.AtmosphericIntake. Thanks for help testing! :)

DropBox Link to image.(Literally my ISP flat out refused to load imgur) Agreed. What I meant by explicitly defined is the resources as opposed to the modules. But definitely will take the twin display (it's about as unobtrusive as a display can be anyway) over crashes any day. I just find it really odd that the module would fail to load on these engines alone. Hell I even tested your radial models (the opposing turboprop and radial jet) from Karbonite that run off kerosene(liquidfuel....stupid real fuels changing all the things) and they worked flawlessly :/

Would love to see more parts tuned to spitfires or the sort like mustangs or focke-wulfs. I really like the retro-future planes mod and I have made many fighters with it! Also thos wheels are useful as they're huge and work well for bombers as well as fighters

Would love to see more parts tuned to spitfires or the sort like mustangs or focke-wulfs. I really like the retro-future planes mod and I have made many fighters with it! Also thos wheels are useful as they're huge and work well for bombers as well as fighters

yes; those are in the plans. :) just have to get around to doing them. I have several engine/blades in mind, a heavier landing gear perhaps. and some other parts as well.

Update; links in OP

Retro-Future v1.2

New Parts

steerable tail gear

fwd and rwd wing mounting pylons for 1.25m engines; arrow indicating direction toward airflow.

warning sound for engine overheating

Changes

Technodes fixed for JeyTew and Trianka engines

Nose gear can now steer

Heat production and maximum temperature adjusted for all engines

Main landing gear suspension strength increased

Just a heads up, I have updated to the pre-release version of karbonite and the game is now unable to load past your karbonite engines.

I think I read that the folder tree for karbonite has been altered in prep for the new release. Might be the cause of the issue.

Just a heads up, I have updated to the pre-release version of karbonite and the game is now unable to load past your karbonite engines.

I think I read that the folder tree for karbonite has been altered in prep for the new release. Might be the cause of the issue.

thanks for the heads up! I think it's because ScoopedAir is deprecated and new Karbonite engines use IntakeAtm ala KSPI. Will update it once Karbonite new version released.

try this patch in the mean time

http://www./download/bvz93hu0ucf5lf2/KaPre0.3.1Patch.zip

Edited by nli2work

omg .... I LOVE THESE ENGINES !!!!!! going to build my own Sanka MK B (awesoem anime btw) and then maybe i will try to get a turboprop to Orbit :D

edit:

second testflight of the Sanka MK. C:

-maxiumm flying altitude archived in hardclimb (full throttle by 80degree): roughly 50 Km.

lXMvyn8.jpg

Edited by Darth Lazarus

@nil2work I have to say -- thank you for this beautiful stuff! I'm sure i'm not the first to say/appreciate how KAX-like the plane parts are in beauty and execution. I dare say they'll compliment each other nicely. The spoilers/brakes are an especially nice touch. Looking forward to the IVA for that cockpit... ;)

I love the Panopticon. I will have to try it soon. I love the transparent windows, but the reflective surface seems a bit more spacey and "realistic" -- I wonder if there would be a means of making the reflective coating slightly transparent from the outside and get the best of both worlds? :)

and...

omg .... I LOVE THESE ENGINES !!!!!! going to build my own Sanka MK B (awesoem anime btw) and then maybe i will try to get a turboprop to Orbit :D

edit:

second testflight of the Sanka MK. C:

-maxiumm flying altitude archived in hardclimb (full throttle by 80degree): roughly 50 Km.

Beautiful aircraft, Darth Lazarus! Those are B9 wing components, yes? Gotta get that installed for 24.2.

Edited by Beetlecat

wow that's a gorgeous plane you built Lazarus!

@BeetleCat

those are Porkjet's spaceplane+ wing parts. very nice system he created if you haven't checked it out yet.

I have some ideas for a universal IVA using RPM. will have to do some exprimenting, but at least conceptually it should work.

Edited by nli2work

these are Spaceplane+ Wingparts.

i found some intersting flightbehaviors of a twin turboprop pusher airplane:

highst speed over ground was around 800M/s @ 20Km altitude.

the prop engines really don't like flying at high altitudes. best crusing altitude was between 4000 and 7000 m, depending on engine and throttle. it's a real challange to get a high altitude fast crusing plane only with turboprops. i could spam engines, but thats not my goal: i want a nice looking, fast, high altitude inteceptor with SSTO capabilitys ... :cool:

two things i really miss right now:

IVA for the cockpit :D

improved engine soudns on startup / turningoff. currently when an enigne starts, there is the soft howling sound, which get quiter until it shoudl vanish into the normal workingsound-loop. the problem is, that exactly at this position, the sound just cutoff and teh loop starts. maybe this should be reworked a bit for a smother transition of the soundeffects.

btw. love the overheatengineglow :D

these are Spaceplane+ Wingparts.

i found some intersting flightbehaviors of a twin turboprop pusher airplane:

highst speed over ground was around 800M/s @ 20Km altitude.

the prop engines really don't like flying at high altitudes. best crusing altitude was between 4000 and 7000 m, depending on engine and throttle. it's a real challange to get a high altitude fast crusing plane only with turboprops. i could spam engines, but thats not my goal: i want a nice looking, fast, high altitude inteceptor with SSTO capabilitys ... :cool:

yeah that's intentional; maximum velocity is around mach2 before a sharp drop in thrust. the blades need thick air to push against. The propfans do better at higher altitude than the normal piston engine props. but not really SSTO capable. I'll probably do some mixed mode engines like rapier/saber for that role.

two things i really miss right now:

IVA for the cockpit :D

improved engine soudns on startup / turningoff. currently when an enigne starts, there is the soft howling sound, which get quiter until it shoudl vanish into the normal workingsound-loop. the problem is, that exactly at this position, the sound just cutoff and teh loop starts. maybe this should be reworked a bit for a smother transition of the soundeffects.

yeah I haven't yet found a satisfactory compromise for the sound fx yet. need alot of tweaking in the FSEngineSound settings.

...and now I'm just noticing the glow effects and moving parts on the engine models. Stellar work. ;) Do only the big engines overheat?

The only possible comments I could make as far as criticism is that the parts don't seem to snap together well in the SPH (the cone and tapered tank start out 'backward' ?). I'm not sure what dynamics affect part snapping / orientation.

The cockpit also seems quite fragile compared to others (lots of utter destruction on failed takeoff rolls where I would usually wind up with a lone cockpit on the runway), but that could also fit with the part theme.

i have an idea about an high altitude turboprop engine:

a normal turboprop is powered by a normal jetrubine, which works on lower power lvls and wit ha gear, the force is trasmitted to the prop. the high altitude turboprop would have two modes: normal turboprop mode to get to 10 (or even 15) kilometers altitude, then it switches to jettrubine only and the fans stop spinning.

i don't know if it is possible to do such animation....

with normal mode, the thrust and fuel consumption is low, on jetmode, the thurst gets higher, but so the need for fuel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.