Less memory usage by using OpenGL

Eisfunke

But how do you get the shadows to render?

Dunno, just tried it 10 minutes before posting. Shadows seems fine, kerbonauts make shadows on the spacecraft during EVA, and Spacecraft make shadows on the mun during landing.

Current gfx settings -

Terrain: High,

SM3:enabled,

Terrain Scatters: Disabled,

Scatter Density:50%,

Render Quality: Fantastic,

Texture Quality: Full res,

Fallback parts shaders : True,

aerodynamics FX: Normal,

Edgehighlights: Disabled,

Resolution:1920x1080,

fullscreen enabled,

AA: 4X,

VSync: everyVblank,

Framelimit : 120 fps,

Pixel light count : 8,

Shadow cascades: 4.

Dunno, just tried it 10 minutes before posting. Shadows seems fine, kerbonauts make shadows on the spacecraft during EVA, and Spacecraft make shadows on the mun during landing.

Current gfx settings -

Terrain: High,

SM3:enabled,

Terrain Scatters: Disabled,

Scatter Density:50%,

Render Quality: Fantastic,

Texture Quality: Full res,

Fallback parts shaders : True,

aerodynamics FX: Normal,

Edgehighlights: Disabled,

Resolution:1920x1080,

fullscreen enabled,

AA: 4X,

VSync: everyVblank,

Framelimit : 120 fps,

Pixel light count : 8,

Shadow cascades: 4.

alright, i'll give it another try and put in those setting

nope, still no shadowing, i have an alienware

are you on 32 or 64bit?

Edited by SparkyFox

Shadows work fine with dx11 - the glitches I have are gaffer tape on the SPH floor ( you can see that in a lot of my screenshots ), aero effects turning the aircraft solid pink unless they're down to lowest level, and Minmus is a black hole, which is the only thing that's an actual problem I've discovered. OGL I have no shadows at all.

If the logfile is showing SM3 then I suspect it's not DX11, that shows up as 5.0.

I landed on it even then :P but it eats any form of lighting so it's not really something you can work with ( or fun ), which is a huge problem given I use it as my main base in practically every game. I've yet to find some combination of detail settings that will give the surface back, I hope someone can...

Squad should put some effort into fixing the DX11 flaws. The 4GB limit is a serious drawback for people who like mods and lots of bases and stuff. As I see it it should be fixable since only minimus i a black hole and shadows renders fine for some.

Hmm tried DX11 and well welcome screen my mun is a black hole and kerbin I do not see it :D

Hmm crap so for me DX11 is not working :(

Tried openGL and right now only shadows missing. But somwhow I think the textures looks a litlte bit ugly than in dx9 :(

Hmm crap thinking about buying new graphic card. Right now I have AMD Saphire HD5850 Vapor with 2gb of RAM.

But I am really thinking about buying Nvidia card.

Edited by Jovzin

I have had the same issue with DX11 when I use "-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded" it works fine... at least for me

Hmm trying it but somehow when I put this -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded it is starting in dx9 hmm crap. When I put only -force-d3d11 it will start in dx11.. Should be there some space or two "--" ?

Edited by Jovzin

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CommandLineArguments.htmlcheck this out, force open d3d11 works except the shows and sph and vab ground markings dont show up, but it stops the game from crashing, d3d9 doesnt work

tempory opengl fix

1.make a ksp shortcut

2. Run the game

3. Go to setting then graphics

4. Disable full screen

5. Close ksp

6. Right click the ksp shortcut you made

7. Click onproperties

8. In target, put -force-opengl -popupwindow %command%

9. Press apply and ok

10. Run ksp and enjoy

if that doesnt work, try this instead --force-opengl -popupwindow %command%

the game should run in fullscreen and when you hit the windows key, your taskbar should come up and to hide it, press the game screen again

I think I've solved. In the settings of Steam I write "-force-OpenGL-popupwindow", and the flicker disappears, but there remained the problem of aliasing, with very stylized curves

Going in the video card settings I excluded antialiasing of KSP and I did manage the NVidia GTX 970 with a factor 4, now you see well as in directx

In normal mode, I crashed with ATM Basic for using too much Ram, now in OpenGL I have deleted ATM and the RAM is about 3.1 GB : Cool:

Sorry for my English :(

I don't get it ... I have a GTX 780 with display driver 340.82, using KSP 32 bit (tried also 64 bit with no different result)

When in Steam start options:

-force-opengl: starting, but an area of 640x480 pixel at the lower left is black on the loading pic. This area is the only one showing something when in the main menu + much flickering + no AA

-force-opengl -popupwindow %command%: not working, Steam doesn't start the game, stating it was unable to find the executable "-force-opengl"

--force-opengl -popupwindow %command%: not working, Steam doesn't start the game, stating it was unable to find the executable "--force-opengl"

-force-OpenGL-popupwindow: this is an invalid format, as the space is missing. Therefore the game loads just fine in DX9

When using a shortcut:

-force-opengl: starting, but an area of 640x480 pixel at the lower left is black on the loading pic. This area is the only one showing something when in the main menu + much flickering + no AA

-force-opengl -popupwindow %command%: same as with -force-opengl

--force-opengl -popupwindow %command%: game starting in DX9 ...

Using no full screen is indeed working (no AA of course), but the window border is annoying, there was a reason why I used full screen with 1920 x 1200

Sorry that I haven't read the whole thread, but is there a way to get the game running in full screen with Open GL and not having flickering screens and 80% of the screen black?

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm trying it but somehow when I put this -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded it is starting in dx9 hmm crap. When I put only -force-d3d11 it will start in dx11.. Should be there some space or two "--" ?

Confirming, "-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded" is no existing parameter and therefore KSP is starting in DX9. Using "-force-d3d11 -no-singlethreaded" as two params is not helping at all, results are as for pure DX11:

- issues with shadows

- big issues with Kerbal Space Center at night (when the lights are on the little windows are messing with the textures)

- Kerbin from space/tracking station looks like a marble, no 3d effects on mountains and such

So for me DX11 is not an option at all - will have to stick with DX9 :(

Edited by Tekener

I don't get it ... I have a GTX 780 with display driver 340.82, using KSP 32 bit (tried also 64 bit with no different result)

When in Steam start options:

-force-opengl -popupwindow %command%: not working, Steam doesn't start the game, stating it was unable to find the executable "-force-opengl"

--force-opengl -popupwindow %command%: not working, Steam doesn't start the game, stating it was unable to find the executable "--force-opengl"

-force-OpenGL-popupwindow: this is an invalid format, as the space is missing. Therefore the game loads just fine in DX9

When using a shortcut:

-force-opengl -popupwindow %command%: same as with -force-opengl

--force-opengl -popupwindow %command%: game starting in DX9 ...

Using no full screen is indeed working (no AA of course), but the window border is annoying, there was a reason why I used full screen with 1920 x 1200

Sorry that I haven't read the whole thread, but is there a way to get the game running in full screen with Open GL and not having flickering screens and 80% of the screen black?

- - - Updated - - -

Confirming, "-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded" is no existing parameter and therefore KSP is starting in DX9. Using "-force-d3d11 -no-singlethreaded" as two params is not helping at all, results are as for pure DX11:

- issues with shadows

- big issues with Kerbal Space Center at night (when the lights are on the little windows are messing with the textures)

- Kerbin from space/tracking station looks like a marble, no 3d effects on mountains and such

So for me DX11 is not an option at all - will have to stick with DX9 :(

I have exactly the same problem. I have Radeon R9 280x, AMD fx-8320 @4.2ghz, 8gb ram, win 8. Loading speed is also much slower than normally (I use SSD if that affects)

Edited by Metalman333

I managed to get KSP to runing stable on 32 bit with "-force-opengl -popupwindow" and tons of mods. I also reduced the loading times from 10 mins on my hdd to 3,5 mins on my ssd after converting most of the textures into dds.

My ksp.exe is using 2,3 GB RAM after loading which is really nice.

The only issue I have is, that it looks not as nice (although I activated mulitsampling and stuff like that on my nvida setup pannel) as compared to unstable dx11 on 64bit and also produces way more lag with larger objects like my 500part station.

This is my gamedata folder: http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3863/jh2dspp6_jpg.htm

These are my system specs:

i7 4790k

GeForce GTX 980

32 GB RAM

512 GB SSD

1 TB HDD

Any idea what I can do to improve the look and the fps while using opengl on 32bit?

I managed to get KSP to runing stable on 32 bit with "-force-opengl -popupwindow" and tons of mods. I also reduced the loading times from 10 mins on my hdd to 3,5 mins on my ssd after converting most of the textures into dds.

My ksp.exe is using 2,3 GB RAM after loading which is really nice.

The only issue I have is, that it looks not as nice (although I activated mulitsampling and stuff like that on my nvida setup pannel) as compared to unstable dx11 on 64bit and also produces way more lag with larger objects like my 500part station.

This is my gamedata folder: http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3863/jh2dspp6_jpg.htm

These are my system specs:

i7 4790k

GeForce GTX 980

32 GB RAM

512 GB SSD

1 TB HDD

Any idea what I can do to improve the look and the fps while using opengl on 32bit?

Probably not using OpenGL, but try -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded (seriously, your rig is way better than mine and it works for me). I'm not sure about 500-part stations, but I definitely get smoother FPS with DX11 than OpenGL... as far as actual memory saving, since the 32-bit exe can only use so much RAM, the only way to cut back is to use lower-res textures depending on how many mods you have.

Hey guys!

I have a pretty bad issue as following:

I have installed quite a few mods and if I start my game with the x32 Version it Crashes after the loading is finished, however if I use the x64 version it works perfectly, dispate occasional very rare crashes, but a few of my most favourite mods don't support x64, such as Life Support and FAR

What do you suggest I could do? I tried ATM, but it keeps crashing...

Mods I use (Folders in my GameData Folder):

-000_Toolbar 
-000_USITools
-ActiveTextureManagement
-B9_Aerospace
-BoulderCo(CLouds,CityLights)
-CommunityResourcePack
-DeadlyReentry
-DMagic Orbital Science
-Engineer
-EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
-FerramAerospaceResearch
-JSM
-KAS
-Kerbaltek
-Kethane
-KineTechAnimation
-Klockheed_Martin
-KWRocketry
-Infernal Robotics
-MechJeb2
-MP_Nazari
-NavyFish
-NearFutureSolar
-ORS
-ORSResourcePack
-ORSX
-PlanetFactory
-ResGen
-SmokeScreen
-USI Kolonisation
-Virgin Kalactic
-Warp Plugin
-[ModuleManager 2.5.4]

PC:

-KSP 0.90

-Win7 x64

-8GB Ram

-Intel i7-4770 @ 3.40 GHz

-AMD Radeon HD 6800

I tried -force-opengl but it didn't bring any differences. It keeps crashing....

The error log is following:

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.5.5f1_7684ad0c5a44]

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module KSP.exe at 0023:01636418.

Error occurred at 2015-01-10_194508.
E:\Programme\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe.
95% memory in use.
0 MB physical memory [389 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [111 MB free].
Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Got any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for your help!

Edited by gerixxx

Hey guys!

I have a pretty bad issue as following:

I have installed quite a few mods and if I start my game with the x32 Version it Crashes after the loading is finished, however if I use the x64 version it works perfectly, dispate occasional very rare crashes, but a few of my most favourite mods don't support x64, such as Life Support and FAR

What do you suggest I could do? I tried ATM, but it keeps crashing...

Mods I use (Folders in my GameData Folder):

*snip*

PC:

-KSP 0.90

-Win7 x64

-8GB Ram

-Intel i7-4770 @ 3.40 GHz

-AMD Radeon HD 6800

See my post above, try with "-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded", ATM, and 1/2 res textures. You may be able to get away with full res textures, but I'm pretty sure that's what hogs memory more than anything. I couldn't even load the game with -force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded on full res textures, but 1/2 res textures works like a charm with none of the typical graphics glitches found when using the regular -force-d3d11 command. And for reference, my GameData folder is nearly 4 GB (I have all your mods and more, pretty much, on a comparable rig).

Edited by Nitrous Oxide

Extremely impressive, and I wish I'd known about this earlier.

Specs:

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.0GHz

16GB DDR3-2133

GEForce GTX 660Ti

Windows 7 Professional (x64)

KSP loading off an SSD

1.65GB GameData folder

With ATM:

Before -force-opengl:

~3GB RAM on load, crashes every couple of hours on scene changes.

After -force-opengl:

~1.6GB RAM on load, no crashes (though I didn't leave ATM in for long.)

Without ATM, with -force-opengl:

~2GB RAM on load, no crashes so far.

If it weren't for the fact that apparently there's a performance hit, I'd say this setting should be standard. This did more for me than ATM ever did.

I've tried OpenGL/DX and ATM and I still have a memory usage above 3GB...can anyone help me out?

The weird thing is:

1): I began with all my mods and ATM on normal settings +opengl, memory usage around 3GB.

2): I set the ingame textures to half res: made no difference in memory usage, still around 3GB.

3): Set ATM to 1/2 res (and left ingame to half res): No difference, 3GB (and looks terrible).

4): DX11 mode: 3GB again.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be removing ATM's cache or something?

Here are my mods:

2,9 GB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

783,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad

678,6 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ActiveTextureManagement

281,8 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TextureReplacer

228,6 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KWRocketry

144,1 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Tantares

119,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\BoulderCo

93,5 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Kethane

86,5 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries

84,7 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\B9_Aerospace

77,4 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Chatterer

65,0 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NASAmission

47,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries

42,1 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Firespitter

31,4 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\DMagic Orbital Science

28,8 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Hangar

28,7 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RemoteTech

28,4 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KAS

25,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SCANsat

18,9 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UniversalStorage

10,7 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ART

9,1 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ProceduralFairings

8,2 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MechJeb2

7,9 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ProceduralParts

6,1 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ThunderAerospace

5,7 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\FreedomTex

5,1 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Source

4,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalEngineer

4,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\CollisionFX

3,9 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\

3,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RealChute

2,7 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

2,6 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Ships

2,6 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MissionControllerEC

2,3 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\DeadlyReentry

1,6 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Nereid

1,5 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SmartParts

1,4 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ProceduralDynamics

1,2 MB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\JSI

831,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TriggerTech

615,7 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ScienceAlert

448,4 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\NavyFish

377,9 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TweakScale

317,6 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\FerramAerospaceResearch

274,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\CrowdSourcedScience

208,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Diazo

136,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KSPAPIExt

119,5 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\000_Toolbar

110,8 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TweakableEverything

106,8 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\FMRS

105,5 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\CIT

90,8 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PlanetShine

86,8 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\StageRecovery

85,6 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Fusebox

84,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Contracts Window

73,1 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KineTechAnimation

69,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Trajectories

61,3 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PreciseNode

58,7 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\000_USITools

57,9 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TimeControl

54,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Regolith

53,5 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SmokeScreen

48,5 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ToadicusTools

47,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\EnhancedNavBall

46,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\DistantObject

42,7 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalJointReinforcement

42,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalIspDifficultyScaler

37,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\MSD

35,5 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ResGen

34,8 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SmartStage

26,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\sceneJumper

19,7 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\CommunityResourcePack

18,3 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\CrossFeedEnabler

16,4 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Klockheed_Martian

12,1 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\DDSLoader

11,2 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ModuleRCSFX

10,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SafeChute

7,6 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Virgin Kalactic

3,0 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RSSBuild

2,8 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\KerbalAlarmClock

1,9 KB D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PartCatalog

Edited by Sinsis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.