[PLUGIN] Oxygen

Splendid

Hey guys, just working on a small Oxygen mod, I\'m pretty new in C# but I\'ve programmed for awhile now, so I\'m progressing very quickly, and some people are helping me too, anyway, just wanted to share this little plugin I\'m working on, Oxygen, it will deplete as you leave the atmosphere, re-filling modules are underwork too, means you can strap them on your space station to regain oxygen.

shitn.png

Will update as I work on this.

Cool idea mate. I suppose the tough bit is balancing the amount of oxygen and the rate of the oxygen being used.

Or you could add an Oxygen generating part (should be quite large) for use on stations for when docking is introduced...

Also i wonder if the kermin\'s that are generated have a sort of histeria variable (does this cause tsome kerm\'s to scream?) as this could influence the amount of oxygen used? This could lead to having good piloting skills to not upset the kerm\'s too much and therefore use less oxygen...

So many possibilities :)

Good luck!

Neat idea. :) I wouldn\'t want to be forced to visit my space stations too often - especially if I have many of them in orbit.

(Of course, I could just ignore the empty oxygen level if I was in that mood).

That looks great!

Is it possible to make your astronauts die when it depletes?

Yea, pretty sure it is, otherwise this plugin would be quite meaningless, haha.

@togfox

The oxygen should last for quite awhile, like 7 days or so, maybe I could get more parts that contain different amount of oxygen.

@Zutha

Great idea, haha, so if they scream more they use more oxygen? haha

That looks great!

Is it possible to make your astronauts die when it depletes?

How about sacrificing them for Jeb to survive longer? :)

e.g. it throws a Kerb out the airlock with the press of a button...

My average mun mission is 5 days whilei wait for an orbit intercept.

My janitor missions go for 6 days while i adjust orbits to hit space junk.

I\'d be looking for oxygen that lasts weeks before they deplete. Might be a good poll. :)

The large® consumers of oxygen are fuel cells (for missions like Apollo) and hydrogen- or kerosine-fueled rockets. (Hydrazine/nitrogen tetroxide is presumably what\'s used in RCS thrusters.) Having separate oxygen fuel tanks lets us do things like collecting hydrogen/oxygen from the Mun and oxygen from the upper Kerbin atmosphere.

About 70% of the total mass launched is liquid oxygen, so you can imagine how useful it would be to produce it somewhere in space!

Just a thought: Once the capsule is sealed for launch, the atmosphere outside doesn\'t matter any more...

I actually thought about that, but what about on-kerbin ops?

I don\'t know right now.

Maybe an alternative command module that uses your plugin? That way you could use the stock command module for flights on Kerbin. On the other hand, even atmospheric flights would need an oxygen supply once a certain speed/height is reached.

I\'m writing an oxygen part as well, mostly to see how hard it is to make one:) Could you please tell me how you solved the warp/oxygen consumption problem? I can\'t find a way to multiply my oxygen usage when warped, and this is an essential part of this mod.

I\'m writing an oxygen part as well, mostly to see how hard it is to make one:) Could you please tell me how you solved the warp/oxygen consumption problem? I can\'t find a way to multiply my oxygen usage when warped, and this is an essential part of this mod.

I didn\'t really fix anything, I guess it\'s the way of the code, as the consumption drains quicker when wrapping.

You could make oxygen deplete faster when the Kerbs are screaming vs. staying calm.

Could encourage safe space flying and heighten the tension of a near crash

Sounds fun, but sometimes the random-generated crew scream for no reason, so not right now.

Oh, and with the help of Zool and r3mon, finally understood what I\'m doing and now the depletion is working, now I\'m going to make the craft unusable when the oxygen hits zero, and despawn the crew.

Slowly kill them off one by one if possible :D

Don\'t make the craft unusable, what if we want to reuse it?

=P

Well, I meant, when your crew suffocates, you wouldn\'t be able to steer your craft, fire it\'s engines, use RCS, etc, but you will still be able to relaunch it, observe it in space, and so on.

Oh, and iamwearingpants will model us a nice oxygen tank model :)

Oxygen = Oxygen - (depletionRate * WarpTime.deltaTime);

Right, now when you run out of fuel, your crew suffocates.

No

I mean you should still have control after two have died.

After all, the flights are still remote controlled.

You\'re right I suppose, your crew now dies but control over the craft remains :)

Uranium.

They breathe uranium :D

Seems Legit.

This is a nice idea. I don\'t think the space station module need be very large for producing oxygen, although perhaps a range, capably of different levels of O2 output?

On a similar note, assuming the capsules do have CO2 scrubbers, the O2 requirement onboard won\'t need to be mega, so a small tank ought to last a week at least.

PD

if they start using more oxygen while panicking bill and bob will use it up before clearing the tower...

maybe have a set of modules.

you could have a hydroponics part, large but not to heavy replenishes oxygen slowly without requiring power

a atmospheric scrubber that is small, kinda heavy and requires power, replenishes oxygen faster

oxygen bottles, tiny (rcs sized) and nearly weightless, but only has a small amount of oxygen and doesn\'t replenish

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.