[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

I may just be completely blind, but I can't seem to find any instructions for installing RealEngines. Do I just not do anything and it'll run from the RO folder, or is there a config I need to move into RealFuels?

I may just be completely blind, but I can't seem to find any instructions for installing RealEngines. Do I just not do anything and it'll run from the RO folder, or is there a config I need to move into RealFuels?

Not blind. There are no instructions to install RealEngines, it's integrated. No need to move or do anything...Think about it...if we needed one to do something to install RealEngines...wouldn't we have indicated such.

IF you can't see real engines...then you have installed something that interferes with it, either by design (RftS or stock alike) or unintentionally (I have no idea).

Edited by RedAV8R

What will happen should I install SCANSat with the current version of the whole Realism Overhaul package?

It says that support is coming soon in the first post. What does it mean in this case? I always thought that it is a feature of the Real Solar System not Realism Overhaul to provide support for kethane and mapping tools. Is not that true here?

Thank you!

What will happen should I install SCANSat with the current version of the whole Realism Overhaul package?

It says that support is coming soon in the first post. What does it mean in this case? I always thought that it is a feature of the Real Solar System not Realism Overhaul to provide support for kethane and mapping tools. Is not that true here?

Thank you!

Support in this case would be size and mass of parts.

Do you intend to make them bigger or smaller?

In my opinion in stock version they are quite too big especially the passive receiver one. Imagine a navigation satellite receiver on top of your car that would be half the size of the car... In some cases when there are lots of stuff on the capsule or the probe there is no place to fit a thing this big...

Anyway will the mapping work with the present state of things? What about the field of view of the sensors?

I have SCANsat installed on my ksp build, there doesn't appear to be any compatibility issues and all the parts are there and correct, although I haven't tested if they actually work but I suspect they do.

Also, is there any way to disable whatever it is that checks for out of date mods on ksp launch? Every time I launch ksp it hangs for at least 30 seconds while it checks the mods, and I already now what mods in my build are outdated, so it's a big waste of time for nothing.

Edited by Jetwave

I have SCANsat installed on my ksp build, there doesn't appear to be any compatibility issues and all the parts are there and correct, although I haven't tested if they actually work but I suspect they do.

Also, is there any way to disable whatever it is that checks for out of date mods on ksp launch? Every time I launch ksp it hangs for at least 30 seconds while it checks the mods, and I already now what mods in my build are outdated, so it's a big waste of time for nothing.

Thank you for info about SCANsat.

As for out of date mods...how does this belong in the Realism Overhaul thread??? Is Realism Overhaul causing it...no. Disable...version checker is built into each mod individually, so ask the appropriate mod that IS outdated to update it...or compile new source with the version checker updated.

@Red: ok, I'll just live with the longer load times.

You're probably aware of this, but just in case, RealFuels with RealEngines do not seem to like B9 engines. No engine GUI (BTW the button has a typo ingame - it says Engin e GUI), tech level or choice of fuel. The B9 fuel tanks appear to work fine though, which makes me think it's just that the engines aren't in RealEngines yet.

The more I play this, the more impressed I am.

Since I don't see a currently maintained craft repository for RO craft, I decided to start making some replicas. As close as I can anyway, models were never my thing. At least this doesn't involve plastic cement...

Here's my approximation of a Delta II 6420, an easy place to start. As for size, it should be accurate to within 20cm or so in most places. The Delta II was actually only 2.4m around, but I'm sure no tears will be shed over that 10cm.

J7on8QO.png

HpcSxGY.png

As far as technical accuracy goes, the only piece of hardware that isn't correct is the RS-27. If it exists somewhere in RO I missed it so this rocket has the slightly more modern RS-27A instead. All in all, the Dv numbers looks pretty true to what it was used for. I put a 0.9t Comm Sat on it and it has about 11.5k Dv - about right for an LEO mission, and easily tweaked with the different booster options. I didn't do the offset booster setup. In reality, the 4 booster configuration didn't have the boosters 90 degrees apart, but I don't dare try to get that alignment right and come up with something flyable.

If there's a demand, maybe I'll build the whole Delta family and put craft files up. I know I'm not the first to do this, but the ones I've seen from other people are a few versions of KSP old and are no longer maintained.

Just thought I'd show my appreciation for this great piece of work again.

Cheers

The more I play this, the more impressed I am.

Since I don't see a currently maintained craft repository for RO craft, I decided to start making some replicas. As close as I can anyway, models were never my thing. At least this doesn't involve plastic cement...

Here's my approximation of a Delta II 6420, an easy place to start. As for size, it should be accurate to within 20cm or so in most places. The Delta II was actually only 2.4m around, but I'm sure no tears will be shed over that 10cm.

http://i.imgur.com/J7on8QO.png

http://i.imgur.com/HpcSxGY.png

As far as technical accuracy goes, the only piece of hardware that isn't correct is the RS-27. If it exists somewhere in RO I missed it so this rocket has the slightly more modern RS-27A instead. All in all, the Dv numbers looks pretty true to what it was used for. I put a 0.9t Comm Sat on it and it has about 11.5k Dv - about right for an LEO mission, and easily tweaked with the different booster options. I didn't do the offset booster setup. In reality, the 4 booster configuration didn't have the boosters 90 degrees apart, but I don't dare try to get that alignment right and come up with something flyable.

If there's a demand, maybe I'll build the whole Delta family and put craft files up. I know I'm not the first to do this, but the ones I've seen from other people are a few versions of KSP old and are no longer maintained.

Just thought I'd show my appreciation for this great piece of work again.

Cheers

That looks great, I'd love to see more models like that.

@Red: If I were to only install the B9 configs from stockalike would I still be able to use RealEngines for KW/Stock, or would it still interfere and remove RealEngines? If I couldn't, does RftS support B9 so I could use it in the meantime until/if RealEngines gets a B9 patch?

Also are there any small engines in RealEngines? The smallest I found using KW/Stock was 1.5m I believe, (besides the ion engine) which is a bit big for probes/satellites. If theres no small KW/Stock chemical engines does novapunch include any?

Edited by Jetwave

I can confirm that SCANsat and Kethane scanning work with the full RO required mods, as well as a couple part packs and eye candy mods. SCANsat scanning is very slow though, since it maps such a tiny area, uses a lot of power and only works up to 100x warp. RT2 also works just fine with these mods, it looks like Kethane scanning either needs an RT2 connection to work or doesn't work in time warp. If anyone wants to know the full list of mods I got it working with, just leave a post or PM me and I'll gladly tell you.

Edited by Jetwave
L key is broken, added in Ls

hey guys, just getting back in RSS/RO. Love this mod. I was wondering if anyone had started working on modifying prices for the scale change. (or if it is even necessary) In stock you end up with waaay more funds then you need. Has anyone played through RSS/RO with funds?

hey guys, just getting back in RSS/RO. Love this mod. I was wondering if anyone had started working on modifying prices for the scale change. (or if it is even necessary) In stock you end up with waaay more funds then you need. Has anyone played through RSS/RO with funds?

I tried starting a Career game. Given the starting technology, you simply don't have the funds or the science to keep up with the size of rockets that you need to get rolling. Not to mention that you can't complete many "in orbit" or "suborbital" missions because the altitude bands for those missions place you in the atmosphere, and the speed/altitude windows for a lot of the "in flight" missions are nearly impossible to achieve (don't even think about the escape trajectory missions!). I cheated myself 500 science and $1000000 by editing my persistence file and it was still barely enough to get the ball rolling.

Hey RedAV8R, sorry for the stupid question. I was away from vacation for a week so I couldn't play or keep up with KSP news, so I have some questions about the Engine Ignitor MM files. Is the "Resources" folder the one you are talking about? And the ZIP folders that are included with Engine Ignitor -- should I extract those as well? Edit: Well, now that I think about it, I think those ZIP files are the ones you're talking about. Cheers

Edited by Woopert

Quick Part Request for you, if you don't mind. I tried to do this with Stretchy SRBs, but there was no way to make the parameters match. In fact, I somehow managed to design an SRB with an infinite burn time in the process.

I've now built the whole family of Delta II 6XXX series rockets, as well as the 7XXX-H series, but I can't complete the 7XXX (not heavy) series due to the lack of a GEM 40 inch SRM (The predecessor to the GEM-46 that you've included).

I've looked at the RO_KW_Solids.cfg file in the hopes that I could do it myself but it made my head spin! It should be able to use the same KW Globe I model as the Castor4AXL. The GEM 40 is 70cm longer than a Castor 4AXL in real life, but no big deal.

Specs:

Diameter: 1m

Length: 13m

Propellant Mass: 11.77t

Dry Mass: 1.4t

Wet Mass: 13.2t

Sea Level Thrust: 446 kN

Max Thrust: 499 kN

Isp (Vac): 274

Isp (SL): 245

Burn Time: 63s

If I'm being a pain by asking for this instead of figuring out how to code it myself, feel free to say so. I couldn't figure out why some of the engines in that file had maybe 20 lines of code to them, but others had a ton of stuff like detailed thrust curves etc. For reference, the last time I coded something, Visual C++ 6.0 was the latest and greatest...

Cheers

Here's a GEM 40. I couldn't get the Isp to change but I noticed this is an issue with the Castor 4AXL which is supposed to have different Isp and weight than the Castor 4BXL but actually is identical except for prop load. This GEM has the correct weight and prop load (and is a little longer), but still has the Isp of the Castor 4BXL for some reason...

+PART[KWsrbGlobeI]:FINAL
{
%RSSROConfig = true
@name = RO_KWsrbGlobeIGEM
@MODEL
{
@scale = 2.54, 2.656078, 2.54
}
@title = GEM 40
@manufacturer = ATK
@description = Graphite-Epoxy Motor (GEM)
%mass = 1.4
@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
{
%maxThrust = 499
%origMass = 1.4
@atmosphereCurve
{
@key,0 = 0 274
@key,1 = 1 245
}
}
!MODULE[ModuleGimbal]
{
}
@MODULE[ModuleFuelTanks]
{
@volume = 6640
}
@MODULE[ModuleEngineConfigs]
{
%configuration = GEM40
%origMass = 1.4
@CONFIG[Castor4BXL]
{
%name = GEM40
%maxThrust = 499
@atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 274
key = 1 245
}
}
}
}

I tried starting a Career game. Given the starting technology, you simply don't have the funds or the science to keep up with the size of rockets that you need to get rolling. Not to mention that you can't complete many "in orbit" or "suborbital" missions because the altitude bands for those missions place you in the atmosphere, and the speed/altitude windows for a lot of the "in flight" missions are nearly impossible to achieve (don't even think about the escape trajectory missions!). I cheated myself 500 science and $1000000 by editing my persistence file and it was still barely enough to get the ball rolling.

Sorry gals/guys...At this time RO+RSS is being worked on for sandbox mode only. I have enough on my plate as it is just getting things to work at all then to worry about career integration with cost/science/progression. If somebody wants to start that project and adjust cost and progression you are free to do so.

@Red: If I were to only install the B9 configs from stockalike would I still be able to use RealEngines for KW/Stock, or would it still interfere and remove RealEngines? If I couldn't, does RftS support B9 so I could use it in the meantime until/if RealEngines gets a B9 patch?

Also are there any small engines in RealEngines? The smallest I found using KW/Stock was 1.5m I believe, (besides the ion engine) which is a bit big for probes/satellites. If theres no small KW/Stock chemical engines does novapunch include any?

If RftS or Stockalike in any way, shape or form is used, it automatically disables RealEngines in it's entirety. I also do not know what stock alike or RftS uses, I'm not involved with those projects, and projects I'm not involved with I don't investigate what is or is not used.

Yes there are several 'small' engines with stock, a couple 1K thrusters, radial and stack mounted, a couple other radial engines usually used as vernier engines. FWIW...there is no shame in using RCS pods as propulsion for probes/satellites. Quite a few use them as such in real life, not always dedicated thrusters as a means of propulsion. Been a while since I've glanced at NovaPunch and I'm waiting for their update before I progress to them. I'm currently working on RLA and there are several small engines with that as well.

Here's a GEM 40. I couldn't get the Isp to change but I noticed this is an issue with the Castor 4AXL which is supposed to have different Isp and weight than the Castor 4BXL but actually is identical except for prop load. This GEM has the correct weight and prop load (and is a little longer), but still has the Isp of the Castor 4BXL for some reason...

Awesome, thanks!

Sorry gals/guys...At this time RO+RSS is being worked on for sandbox mode only. I have enough on my plate as it is just getting things to work at all then to worry about career integration with cost/science/progression. If somebody wants to start that project and adjust cost and progression you are free to do so.

I've actually thought about that as a way to get back into coding. It's easier than dealing with models or physics and seems to be mostly a matter of plucking variables from a list. The RTP Lite tech progression is very good in the way it's organized, but as you've said, RftS breaks RealEngines, so I'd probably look at a tech tree designed like that based on US/EU/USSR/Russian techs over the years, and contracts to match, including launching military and civilian satellites, exploratory missions, etc. It would be really nice if the contract system could instead of saying "an orbit between xxxx and xxxx alt", define multiple orbital parameters. Put satellites in Molinya-type orbits etc. Perhaps in a couple of weeks after I'm done this semester I'll look at doing that.

Hey RedAV8R, sorry for the stupid question. I was away from vacation for a week so I couldn't play or keep up with KSP news, so I have some questions about the Engine Ignitor MM files. Is the "Resources" folder the one you are talking about? And the ZIP folders that are included with Engine Ignitor -- should I extract those as well? Edit: Well, now that I think about it, I think those ZIP files are the ones you're talking about. Cheers

Yes, I have edited the OP for clarity. It is referring to the MM files included in the "extract to use" zip archives.

@AnyCH: THANK YOU! And you pointed out a bug/typo with the Isps that has been corrected! All works now as required:)

@ninjaweasel: A GEM40 is a good idea, I already made one copy of that model to make the 4BXL and being the GEM40 is a widely used part, and we've got the GEM46 and GEM60 it's not a bad idea to copy that great model and make it. Look for it in the next update for all to have!:)

Career mode, I feel the same way, I do not use RPL because it requires RftS, which kills my RealEngines, I also at this time don't care about career mode, so RPL doesn't concern me anyway. I'm sure NK and I would welcome you aboard with open arms, as well as the rest of the KSP community.

Thinking out loud though, some requirements I see of integration:

*The 'tech tree' for realism sake must be TIME based, not 'purchased'.

*In addition to being time based...objects such as fuel tanks...anybody can make a tank...of any size...the question is, is it strong enough and light enough to fulfill the objective at hand...So some 'generic' objects are going to require cost/mass/strength changes as the tech tree advances that are in line with current technologies. IE don't want a generic tank of same characteristics as a Titan tank as found in FASA to have different mass/strength/etc.

*Cost, everything has a price. So how do we deal with inflation...to me this requires another plugin to automatically adjust cost based upon inflation at that time. Obviously there are going to be some guesses here as cost figures are likely going to be few and far between. Then there is a point, cost figures are likely going to be for a whole launcher or at least pieces as an aggregate...so balancing the cost individual small pieces as found in KSP is going to be a challenge.

*I agree with your contracts, I honestly haven't played with 0.24 contracts so I don't know the interface they used. But having restraints on an apoapsis between two points and a periapsis between two points would be ideal. I remember playing with one older mod, (not sure if it's been updated) which did such things.

*Wish list...RSS is designed to start in the 50's...with planets and everything in their respective places at that point in time...maybe with some help with NK and RSS, a person can choose at what point a person wishes to begin their game. Be it 50's, 60's...whatever.

Edited by RedAV8R