[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

The universal ammunition stores would be available in a small range of sizes and form factors, each with total capacity/weight limits, much like Modular Fuel Tanks - rest assured that you won't be cramming hundreds of CannonShells in a matchbox anytime soon.

My argument against one unique ammo box per calibre (even with tweakable types) is that of expandability - there are only so many coloured stripes to choose from for distinguishing all current and possible calibre types before you run out.

Also, I'm actually not that fond of ammo storage within the Weapons Manager itself, but I wanted to bring it up specifically to show how bad taking the idea to the extreme would be.

While I agree with your argument about ammo types I think its Irrelevant in this setting as very few distinct round types are in use these days for vehicle combat and a doubt more than 10 will ever be used in BD Armory. Unless there is a Russian weapon pack using their versions of NATO rounds I don't see there being very many types to choose from. Having a unique ammo box for each caliber with the option to make it hole different types of rounds such as HE AP INC etc sounds like a good plan in my opinion though I think several universal boxes working like modular fuel tanks works just fine as long as the performance improvements justify the increased complexity.

A new feature to add that might be cool would be if you could add a material property sort of system to parts through module manager that dictates how the object is affected.

Fuel tanks like the big orange would be foam as a primary material (external) which would make them weak but less likely to ignite whereas fuselages could be metal which would be stronger but could cause sparks to ignite fuel more easily.

Come to think of it having a mod to let you select a part's armor level would be cool with higher levels costing more and weighing more.

- - - Updated - - -

I just came up with a part idea

Weapon bays! Most modern aircraft have internal bays that house weapons to decrease aerodynamic drag and radar crossection. My idea for the implementation is simple basically a mk1 mk2 and mk3 fuselage and some radial smaller bays that are essentially small cargo hold parts that have a small door on the bottom that can open to let them fire one or more weapons from within. Just a cool idea for you BD!

Edited by LORDPrometheus

Unique universal storage containers

+ Better control over ammo store part placement allows CoM/CoL/CoT balancing for vessels

+ Better control over ammo store part placement allows more interesting playstyles (e.g. shoot the ammo box!) or redundancy (as long as one ammo box remains, the vessel won't be defenseless

- Part list bloat in VAB/SPH editor

- Adding extra parts to vessels may contribute to physics lag

Weapon Manager as universal ammo store

+ Fewer items in VAB/SPH editor part list

+ Fewer parts required to arm a vessel

- Requires tricky positioning of Weapon Manager since it is now also an ammo storage compartment with mass

- Destroying the Weapon Manager on an enemy vessel completely disarms it and ends the engagement too quickly (less fun)

I am quite torn between these two options. I like the second one but it isnt the most "realistic" option. But this is KSP so realism is an option that you can choose to turn on and off.

I would like, however, a more inline ammo storage system, like a 1.25 or even a 2.5m cylinder ammo storage system. But having the option of having an all in one for some of the smaller munitions like the 20mm and below calibers would be nice.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I just came up with a part idea

Weapon bays! Most modern aircraft have internal bays that house weapons to decrease aerodynamic drag and radar crossection. My idea for the implementation is simple basically a mk1 mk2 and mk3 fuselage and some radial smaller bays that are essentially small cargo hold parts that have a small door on the bottom that can open to let them fire one or more weapons from within. Just a cool idea for you BD!

I already do this with the cargobays in the game. I use the smallest cargobay as a utility bay for most of my fighters. I pack ammo, mechjeb and life support inside of them along with radioscope reactors because there are no generators for electricity in those bays.

I already do this with the cargobays in the game. I use the smallest cargobay as a utility bay for most of my fighters. I pack ammo, mechjeb and life support inside of them along with radioscope reactors because there are no generators for electricity in those bays.

I'm aware of how it works but I'm looking more for dedicated parts especially ones that can be mounted on the fuselage not as a part of it or with bays designed for only a handful of weapons and specific for weapons

What is the possibility of a FLAK? Something along the lines of the 88mm, on a turntable with optional stabilisers, and Proximity-Fuzed shells?

And is there a way of making tube launchers for missiles? Like Harpoon, Patriot, Grumble etc?

What is the possibility of a FLAK? Something along the lines of the 88mm, on a turntable with optional stabilisers, and Proximity-Fuzed shells?

And is there a way of making tube launchers for missiles? Like Harpoon, Patriot, Grumble etc?

From a mechanics aspect something would need to be added to the code as at the moment shells only detonate on impact however this seems reasonable and pretty freaking awesome! As for tube launchers that's something I've wanted to see for awhile simply due to modularity. It would have to be a launcher like the LUA pods but I'm not sure if the code supports putting a guided missile as a munition not a seperate part especially if it leavest he physics range but you'd have to ask BD about that.

Hey BD,

Here's an idea. Everyone knows that sometimes they build totally useless planes that exist for no apparent reason (at least, I do). So, why not make a part that will make those useless planes useful. Such part I am describing is an electronic warfare pod or perhaps one of those rotating electronic warfare/EWACS devices that would be found on board of an E-2 Hawkeye or an E-3 Sentry. I understand if there are programming difficulties creating this, but it would be really cool to have things like radar and sonar, and have those things be able to be hacked or scrambled by electronic warfare devices. But hey. That's just an idea.

is it me or done every one else missing the helicopter blades and stuff like the VTOL part in the videos on the front page????

The blades are from a mod called KAX.

The engines etc are from the other BahamutoD mods, which you can find on his sig.

Hey guys. Im trying my best to combine this mod, pro props rifles, and kerbal attachment to make guns kerbals can hold and use. I have no experience with modding, and I cant figure out what i'm doing wrong. I use the modules from the turrets, apply them to the assault rifle, load the game, and the part isnt there. The other rifle from pro props is there, but mine isn't. Can anyone help me? I can post a copy of the cfg files if anyone thinks they can.

i need help! i saw the video on the tutorial. so i installed the mod correctly. but none of the parts in the mod are functional. the mod looks insane! can somebody help me?

You probably installed it wrongly.

Make sure to open the zip and check if there is a GameData folder inside of it.

Some mods require you to extract one subfolder to your gamedata other than the first folder inside of the zip file.

@cbplayer2012: There is no official DMP support yet.

G'day guys, I've been trying to mod in FFAR/HVAR rockets from WWII from this mod, however, the closest I've gotten is a custom AGM-114 (resized etc.) but it doesn't perform similar to the Hydra-70 rockets. I've been trying to create a custom rocket part with the model of the H70 rocket from the launcher, but strange effects (permanent rocket exhaust in SPH/in-game) and lack of textures, as well as it not performing similar to the original H70 rocket has me stumped. Can anyone help?

Hey Bahamuto. I was thinking, would you be able to add any form of EMP weaponry? Rather than damaging parts, it could temporarily disable (or permanently fry) things such as the Weapons Manager (making it harder for players to use their weaponry, and effectively disabling AI Guard Mode), Reaction Wheels or Probe Cores (just some examples). It could also disable any weapons which would use electricity (e.g. Vulcan, Airborne Laser). Perhaps you could even extend this, to disable the functionality of any part which requires the resource ElectricCharge.

I also think torpedoes which are able to float on water, rather than going through it or exploding would be cool. Not too much to say on this, since I already suggested it in the chat of one of EnterElysium's livestreams.

Another cool idea to toy with might be a laser designator. A part you can attach to a craft, which functions like a weapon (in the sense that it tracks your mouse and is activated by holding left mouse button). You could then add the option for players to decide whether a weapon such as a missile or bomb would be radar guided (seek the targetted craft) or laser guided, in which case it would treat where ever you are pointing the laser as the target. Perhaps, just perhaps, we could even select whether the missile follows a high path (flies above the target, then flies straight at it, as is currently in the mod) or if it follows the most direct path immediately after being launched.

Also, another nice feature might be manually targetted/flown missiles (rather than relying on a guidance system, the player instead controls the 'craft', i.e. the missile - if you could make it so the mod remembers from which craft the missile was fired, and then switches back to that craft, assuming it still exists, a few seconds after the missile detonates that would be even better).

And last, but CERTAINLY not least, how about some form of optics for weapons? Such as those seen on Predator Drones, AC-130s and AH-64 gunships? By this, I mean a gunner's optic which you can look through, preferrably with zoom, which makes it easier to target a craft (since you are seeing it exactly from the gun's frame of reference, and since your view will hopefully be magnified). Perhaps a way to balance this would be that bullets follow the trajectory indicated by the centre of the gunner's optics (when viewed through the optics) instead of the mod computing a firing solution for the gun to fire. Perhaps this could be combined with the aforementioned laser designator, so you paint the target through the gunner's optics. It might be a bit difficult, but perhaps even some kind of thermal imaging? I don't know how it'd be done convincingly using heat, but perhaps an easier way would instead be to have any part or Kerbal (not terrain or a building) could simply be shown in white, while everything else is grey/black.

Well, that's that. I doubt that any of these suggested features will make it into the mod, perhaps one at most. Certainly not all. Anyway, it's up to you. We make suggestions, you tell us why we're stupid. ;) If you could please get back to me, say what you perhaps think of these suggestions, and any reasons why they might be impractical or impossible to implement, it'd be much appreciated.

Edited by Kill3rCat
Grammatical errors... grrrrrr!

Hey Bahamuto. I was thinking, would you be able to add any form of EMP weaponry? Rather than damaging parts, it could temporarily disable (or permanently fry) things such as the Weapons Manager (making it harder for players to use their weaponry, and effectively disabling AI Guard Mode), Reaction Wheels or Probe Cores (just some examples). It could also disable any weapons which would use electricity (e.g. Vulcan, Airborne Laser). Perhaps you could even extend this, to disable the functionality of any part which requires the resource ElectricCharge.

I also think torpedoes which are able to float on water, rather than going through it or exploding would be cool. Not too much to say on this, since I already suggested it in the chat of one of EnterElysium's livestreams.

Another cool idea to toy with might be a laser designator. A part you can attach to a craft, which functions like a weapon (in the sense that it tracks your mouse and is activated by holding left mouse button). You could then add the option for players to decide whether a weapon such as a missile or bomb would be radar guided (seek the targetted craft) or laser guided, in which case it would treat where ever you are pointing the laser as the target. Perhaps, just perhaps, we could even select whether the missile follows a high path (flies above the target, then flies straight at it, as is currently in the mod) or if it follows the most direct path immediately after being launched.

Also, another nice feature might be manually targetted/flown missiles (rather than relying on a guidance system, the player instead controls the 'craft', i.e. the missile - if you could make it so the mod remembers from which craft the missile was fired, and then switches back to that craft, assuming it still exists, a few seconds after the missile detonates that would be even better).

And last, but CERTAINLY not least, how about some form of optics for weapons? Such as those seen on Predator Drones, AC-130s and AH-64 gunships? By this, I mean a gunner's optic which you can look through, preferrably with zoom, which makes it easier to target a craft (since you are seeing it exactly from the gun's frame of reference, and since your view will hopefully be magnified). Perhaps a way to balance this would be that bullets follow the trajectory indicated by the centre of the gunner's optics (when viewed through the optics) instead of the mod computing a firing solution for the gun to fire. Perhaps this could be combined with the aforementioned laser designator, so you paint the target through the gunner's optics. It might be a bit difficult, but perhaps even some kind of thermal imaging? I don't know how it'd be done convincingly using heat, but perhaps an easier way would instead be to have any part or Kerbal (not terrain or a building) could simply be shown in white, while everything else is grey/black.

Well, that's that. I doubt that any of these suggested features will make it into the mod, perhaps one at most. Certainly not all. Anyway, it's up to you. We make suggestions, you tell us why we're stupid. ;) If you could please get back to me, say what you perhaps think of these suggestions, and any reasons why they might be impractical or impossible to implement, it'd be much appreciated.

Or just keep it simple and make EMP drain all electric, and keep it drained for X seconds depending of range to blast and wattage.

Torpedoes, check Infinidice's Skillfull

Controlable missiles, you can build them yourself, just slap some missiles as warheads.

Optics, Aye!

I second the laser pointing suggestion, I've been thinking about that for a few days actually, I would be lovely to drop laser guided bombs, and fire laser guided missiles, because it would add to the skill required to win a battle, while still making it feasibly easy to destroy something. Would love this Baha. :P

@Kill3rCat: I heavily recommend using RasterPropMonitor, it has cameras that you can access from the cockpit, it's amazing.

I am already using RasterPropMonitor, but it doesn't provide the features I want. What I want, is to be able to aim the BDArmoury weapons through a fullscreen camera.

- - - Updated - - -

Or just keep it simple and make EMP drain all electric, and keep it drained for X seconds depending of range to blast and wattage.

Torpedoes, check Infinidice's Skillfull

Controlable missiles, you can build them yourself, just slap some missiles as warheads.

Optics, Aye!

Skillful is a bit too clunky for me, and seems to be indecisive as to whether or not it wants to work. I am suggesting torpedos for BDArmoury, not asking for mods which have torps in them. Thanks anyway, but it's not quite what I am looking for. :)

Slapping on missiles as warheads doesn't work anymore, since they must now be armed in order to explode. It should be fairly easy to copy the explosive code from the bomb/missile's config, and create my own custom part which will explode when destroyed... (I hope). It'd be much nicer to have an official warhead part, but it's not a very high priority I can imagine.

Hey guys. Im trying my best to combine this mod, pro props rifles, and kerbal attachment to make guns kerbals can hold and use. I have no experience with modding, and I cant figure out what i'm doing wrong. I use the modules from the turrets, apply them to the assault rifle, load the game, and the part isnt there. The other rifle from pro props is there, but mine isn't. Can anyone help me? I can post a copy of the cfg files if anyone thinks they can.

The model needs to have specific objects in the heirarchy to work as turrets, so you can't just slap a turret module on it.

G'day guys, I've been trying to mod in FFAR/HVAR rockets from WWII from this mod, however, the closest I've gotten is a custom AGM-114 (resized etc.) but it doesn't perform similar to the Hydra-70 rockets. I've been trying to create a custom rocket part with the model of the H70 rocket from the launcher, but strange effects (permanent rocket exhaust in SPH/in-game) and lack of textures, as well as it not performing similar to the original H70 rocket has me stumped. Can anyone help?

The h70 rocket model doesn't have the necessary components to be used as stand alone parts. Mainly, they don't have a collider since the rockets use raycasting to detect collisions (like bullets).

I am suggesting torpedos for BDArmoury, not asking for mods which have torps in them. Thanks anyway, but it's not quite what I am looking for.

Take one of the JDAMs from one of the links on the OP, make it a bit bigger and increase the impact tolerance to 60m/s (that's about how fast torpedoes can be dropped irl) and tweak the thrust and guidance ability around to your liking. If you have trouble with it sinking, slap the firespitter buoyancy module in it and spend a little time finding the optimal buoyancy setting so it doesn't sink or bounce too much. The torp will detonate simply by being in proximity of the target, so the impact tolerance doesn't really matter.

Even though we can do this I would much prefer torpedos native to BDA, possibly with the option to tweak the depth they will move in.

That happened to me. The permanent exhaust is because it is spawned when launched so the exhaust is always on.

Take one of the JDAMs from one of the links on the OP, make it a bit bigger and increase the impact tolerance to 60m/s (that's about how fast torpedoes can be dropped irl) and tweak the thrust and guidance ability around to your liking. If you have trouble with it sinking, slap the firespitter buoyancy module in it and spend a little time finding the optimal buoyancy setting so it doesn't sink or bounce too much. The torp will detonate simply by being in proximity of the target, so the impact tolerance doesn't really matter.

Even though we can do this I would much prefer torpedos native to BDA, possibly with the option to tweak the depth they will move in.

The biggest problem with Torpedoes in KSP is water isnt water in KSP. It is more like nearly dry concrete. So if a vessel goes to fast underwater it will just explode from the force. And if you run Ferram4s Better Buoyancy mod, then your torpedo may just sink and not work at all.

How do you fire bombs/missiles? I try to hold left click like it says and they don't drop. I have to set it to an action group or manually right click it. The time it takes to reach over and press 1-10 is too long, by that time your target could maneuver away.