[1.1] BDArmory v0.11.0.1 (+compatibility, fixes) - Apr 23

BahamutoD

8 hours ago, colmo said:

- If Guard was on and wing commander was used to Attack Pos and Take Off from the ground, the plane would easily forget the position while flying around the KSC at minimum combat speed. This was made worse by one plane that constantly toggled the afterburner. Fly/Attack Pos works much better if not used on the ground.

[...]

Things that seemed missing:

- Return to base (perhaps with an auto low-fuel toggle). Once you use Fly/Attack Pos, it'll only buzz that new location once the threat is eliminated.

That is a thing; the AI loves turning afterburner on, on any engine which supports an afterburning mode. Could there be an option to prevent burns? It seems a bit wasteful, especially when using FAR, as airspeeds above 450 m/s will just tear almost anything apart due to high dynamic pressure.

I also seem to be running out of fuel awfully fast, which could be related to the afterburners. A quick trip to the Island, four-five circles around it, and then my jets simply drop into the drink – they keep going for a loooooooong time when I'm controlling them manually, without burn.

Edit: Oooh, and on that note; to delight us FAR-users, would it be possible to raise the AI service ceiling? The stock KSP atmosphere peters out quite low, AFAIK, but at least with FAR, air-breathers can be operated to good effect even as high as 20 km (just shy of the Lockheed U-2 operating ceiling) with no real issue.

Edited by Veskenapper

11 hours ago, Veskenapper said:

That is a thing; the AI loves turning afterburner on, on any engine which supports an afterburning mode. Could there be an option to prevent burns? It seems a bit wasteful, especially when using FAR, as airspeeds above 450 m/s will just tear almost anything apart due to high dynamic pressure.

I also seem to be running out of fuel awfully fast, which could be related to the afterburners. A quick trip to the Island, four-five circles around it, and then my jets simply drop into the drink – they keep going for a loooooooong time when I'm controlling them manually, without burn.

Edit: Oooh, and on that note; to delight us FAR-users, would it be possible to raise the AI service ceiling? The stock KSP atmosphere peters out quite low, AFAIK, but at least with FAR, air-breathers can be operated to good effect even as high as 20 km (just shy of the Lockheed U-2 operating ceiling) with no real issue.

Currently the AI has Idle and Combat modes - either way, they'll try to fly at default altitude and for Idle, quite slow speed. For long-range missions, a third mode would be nice - Cruise. This is for Fly to Position, where it will ascend to maximum efficient altitude and NOT engage the afterburner but at max Q. On planes capable of it, this will be supercruise - Mach1+ speeds without the thirsty afterburner, which as @Veskenapper says, quickly ends up with your birds in the drink.

With this mode, plus my previously suggested Fly to GPS, missions halfway around the planet become possible. With a starting GPS coordinate, auto Return to Base is calculable (a conservative dV approximation, and preferably it doesn't kick in in the middle of a strafing run!) 

One behaviour I don't like is the way planes pull up when shot at from the ground, helpfully presenting their belly to the guns to make their job easier. I'd much prefer that they stay low and try to pass over the turrets instead. The AI is amazing already, I hope my suggestions make it even better.

On planes with a high default altitude, when they engage in strafes, they attack at a steeper angle and I note don't give themselves a chance to pull up. I had two planes do this in the same run, one a wingman to the first, following it all the way to its own doom.

Edited by colmo

14 hours ago, SpaceToad said:

Photo of the bay please?

As you can see it all depends on how you arrange it. Here you can see 4 racks with 8 500lbs bombs to make a total of 32 bombs. Its still kinda finicky in ai guard mode but in manual control if i set the ripple fire to 400 i can get a steady stream of bombs.

also keep in mind that at the end of each rack is an arrow that points down (or up if upside down like in the pic) that shows how it needs to be placed. If the arrow isn't pointed down then it won't launch the weaponsoj3BlZp.png

4 minutes ago, Shekelberg said:

How do you drop the bombs, I can't get them to drop when I press my action group for fire. I'm using the new rotary bomb system btw.

Arm the Weapons Manager, press and hold the left mousebutton.

36 minutes ago, Shekelberg said:

How do you drop the bombs, I can't get them to drop when I press my action group for fire. I'm using the new rotary bomb system btw.

Are the rotary racks in the right position. You have to make sure that its turned the right way. At the front and back of the rotary rack is an arrow. You MUST make sure that arrow is facing downward.

I tried and tried, but have no idea how to make the wing command thing work. At first, it looks like you're in control of something, until the plane starts idling around KSC and the buttons do nothing.

Also, resizable windows would be nice. It's hard to get a grip on what to do when you have 6-8 windows in front of you.

Edited by BloodDusk

7 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

As you can see it all depends on how you arrange it. Here you can see 4 racks with 8 500lbs bombs to make a total of 32 bombs. Its still kinda finicky in ai guard mode but in manual control if i set the ripple fire to 400 i can get a steady stream of bombs.

also keep in mind that at the end of each rack is an arrow that points down (or up if upside down like in the pic) that shows how it needs to be placed. If the arrow isn't pointed down then it won't launch the weaponsoj3BlZp.png

What I'm trying to say is the racks don't fit laterally well, in this case from up to down in your picture. See how you had to use I (Eye) Beams to put it in place?

Edited by SpaceToad

Another few hours of AI sortees against ground units. HARM missiles now come into their own - don't leave home without a few.

As the AI can't use laser guided weapons, options for taking out Goalkeepers and AA guns with the AI are extremely limited. Bombs are no trouble at all, they shoot them out of the sky with ease. Guns are always at a disadvantage against these weapons. I noticed several sortees ending in stalemate, with the SAM destroyed by a HARM, leaving the two impregnable guns, and the planes circling overhead at a reasonably safe altitude.

I'm noticing planes that had washed out for air-to-air AI battle are proving much better for fighter-bomber duties. Supermanoeuvrability doesn't impress AA guns, speed does. You also need much more fuel. There's no substitute engine for Panthers, they are the best choice for that job.

1 hour ago, SpaceToad said:

What I'm trying to say is the racks don't fit laterally well, in this case from up to down in your picture. See how you had to use I (Eye) Beams to put it in place?

Only because I decided to place them back further. Again I'm still working out the kinks in AI guard mode but for manual control its a dream

On February 13, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Shekelberg said:

Will BD Armoury ever add armor plating for tanks? Like you can put plates on your tank that will absorb damage from gun fire so your entire tank doesn't get destroyed by the CIWS and can behave more like a tank?

Where did you hear KS is "closing"? They've been down before. Granted two days is kind of new. But are they really shutting down there page?