• Sun-Earth L1
    • Sun-Earth L2
    • Venus Capture
    • Mars Capture
    • Phobos Mission
    • Jupiter Moons Mission
    • Saturn Moons Mission
    • Interstellar Space

I'm all for crazy ideas but there's a million things that should be worked out right from the start if you're serious about this and not just daydreaming. Like the already mentioned fact that someone needs to build the satellite, manage the ground station (possibly build one), test, test, test and then test some more that all the systems work, make the contract with the launcher, take responsibility for it, go to a meeting or two, manage the delivery of the satellite to the launch agency IN TIME, operate and manage the ground station after the launch, manage all the legal and paperwork and take personal responsibility for the not-so-little 100k+ dollars of money involved. Don't be offended is SQUAD isn't jumping on the chance to promote this project until someone actually steps up to handle all the organization involved. If something goes wrong and the 100k gets wasted or missing you can only imagine the bad PR for SQUAD.

I'm 100% confident that people on this forum have the ability to build some kind of CubeSat, it's the other stuff I'm more worried about.

True. Logistics is a and I don't think it can be done on a forum or under one year of time, but as I've said before, this needs experimental missions. Boosting PR, experimenting...

The place - United States. Most forumers live there.

EpicRootHairCell, but what if it does fail? That would be hundreds of thousands down the drain, and i don't think after that we'd be able to fund anything more after that. But i see that your first point is pretty valid.

Edited by Nicholander

I think that once the NASA PR dept. hears about how "inspired" we all are by the GREAT! ARM pack and their collaboration with Squad, they'll be all over us like stink on a monkey.

Not sure of the conversion rate between monkey stink and launch cost reduction tho.

I see, and I would love to send a lander to Phobos, but it seems that we need to do multiple missions. I suggested a plan earlier, and I think it is possible to do multiple KickStarters.

Edited by Nicholander

How exactly do you intend to do transfer to and landing on Phobos using a cubesat?
Looking at some other numbers, with successful gravity assists, aerobreaking on Mars, and another 600m/s of delta-V, it'd be possible to land on Phobos.

That's why it was on the poll.

How exactly do you intend to do transfer to and landing on Phobos using a cubesat? Precursor missions don't help if your goal is physically unfeasible.

GTO deployment to LTO to solar orbit, wait a year, earth flyby to get mars intercept, mars aerobreak into phobos transfer orbit, decellerate.

The mission to Phobos is hitch a ride to GTO, small burn to lunar intercept, lunar slingshot to escape + a small velocity, C.1 year later earth slingshot, arrive at Mars aerobrake into Phobos intercept orbit, then burn into Phobos orbit, all in all the figure banned around is 1.5 KM/s

Voted for the Phobos mission as the ultimate goal.

BUT I think the only way to get there is to get a ride on someone else's spacecraft not only to Earth orbit but to Mars, when this will be possible.

Think about it, the interplanetary transfer takes about 8 months, and requires an high precision tracking and communication system, plus hardware that have to survive the radiation envrionment for a lot of months.

If the cubesat is deployed directly into Mars orbit, you won't need powerful transmitter(as you relay on other's satellites), and your hardware have to survive only for the mission time and not the whole transfer.

Plus, you'll need a lot less delta-v, and the saved weight could be used for SCIENCE!

But for now, I think we shold focus on suborbital/LEO mission, as it's currently the only target we could be capable for.

The debris deorbit or RV it's a really cool idea, as Kessler syndrome is seriously becoming something we should take care of, and may attract a lot of interest from space agencies.

Plus, on such mission you can demonstrate orbital maneuvering, attitude control ecc. capabilities needed to go beyond LEO.

Prepare to be even more amazed. This is, after all, a community of armchair scientists that have played KSP. :)

This is a key point. In almost three years of hanging around this community, I've observed that playing KSP gives players the mistaken impression that spaceflight is easy. It isn't. When you're 16, 18 or even 22, anything can seem possible, but the sad reality is that it isn't. Great things are only possible with a lot of hard work, luck and talent.

The chorus of voices on this thread (some more polite than others) trying to quell the enthusiasm should be listened to. You'll need to come up with a proposal for an achievable goal with an emotional "hook" if you're ever going to convince people to get behind this project with thousands of their own dollars and/or thousands of hours of their free time. A cubesat in LEO is achievable but not very interesting and won't fire people's imaginations. A cubesat landing on Phobos is interesting but would sound (to anyone with the real means to make it happen) like the delusions of a dreamer. You'll need a well thought out goal that lies between boring and impossible to inspire people to commit any time and/or money to the project. And your kickstarter campaign has to be infectious.

Good luck with it. I'm happy to help in any way that I can. But someone needs to sell me (and people like me who have the skills, professional experience and/or money to make a significant contribution) on the belief that their contributions won't be wasted before the idea will go anywhere.

kickstarter.png

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how that 1.5 KM figure will be affected by less-than-optimum launch timing? The coordination of launch trajectory, Moon, and mars make it unlikely to find an existing carrier that will get us where we want to go in a single orbit. So how much do we have to overengineer it to account for the launch opportunities we're likey to get for GTO?

Did Kenedy know in 62 that america would walk on the moon in that decade? no. Is he renound as a great man because he made that pledge? yes. Lets go in that spirit.

Kennedy was a great speaker and inspired a nation, but he also had a lot of luck to help him out. Like getting shot... (if you'll excuse the dark humor). The Apollo program retained its momentum in large part because Kennedy was assassinated.

We need to start small. Maybe a 2U in LEO to start with and figure things out. People would be more likely to back future projects if we have some experience. The U.S. is probably the best place to construct as that's where the most users are and probably has the cheapest shipping because that's where the parts are already.

dharak1 is right, we need to sort out what our first mission will do. I think the max it could be is a 2U or 3U debris de-orbit tech demo. (We could either find some small enough debris, or seperate a small little module on the spacecraft, get some distance from it (100-300 Km or something) and then rendezvous with, attach to it, and finnaly de-orbit it.)

Edited by Nicholander

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.