[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

I only just started using, but I'm not getting any succesful recovery messages. Neither with stock or RC.

My debris that I don't care about definitly got destroyed and I got a message for that, but a much larger part I tried to save and I never saw a message, succesful or otherwise.

Could this also be because of the update or is this something else?

Hey just picked this mod up for ksp1.0 but for some reason my recoveries ALWAYS fail..i've never had a sucessfull recovery before, i constantly get the "terminal velocity 102.0" reasoning i guess you'd call it. despite having parachutes on every stage. it never gives me a reason as to why it failed so im at a loss here. i'd love to be able to use this mod but so far its not the "stage recovery" mod just the "your stage has sucessfully been destroyed : notification" mod lol. wich is upsetting cause i really wanted to use this for my career mode D: any thoughts on why this could be happening??? :c

I was originally just guessing that, but when I looked at the Real Chute thread I also saw they were having issues. Likely what's happening is that RC parachutes work for SR's "recovered" stages but don't work on actual craft when actually deployed. A fun disconnect between calculation and reality, since SR just looks at RC's numbers.

Okay, so a quick update as i got my last post wrong:

It seems that "Destroyed" stages work as they should with RealChutes, but "Recovered" Stages don't even show up... So the current situation having tested with and without RC:

(This is all for "unfocused stages" leaving 22.5km)

-Stock model with "loads" of chutes is reported as "Destroyed", with speeds of 100m/s, which is what you would get without chutes. Although SR estimates the parts at 3m/s.

-RealChutes mod installed, the same parts will be reported as "Destroyed", with speeds of 13m/s, which lead me to think that installing RealChutes fixed the issue, but

-RealChutes mod installed, parts which should then be marked as "Recovered" (because i added more chutes to the very same part mentioned above) simply disappear, as if SR was not installed and stock deleted the part at height.

Hope this helps for info...

- - - Updated - - -

Hey just picked this mod up for ksp1.0 but for some reason my recoveries ALWAYS fail..i've never had a sucessfull recovery before, i constantly get the "terminal velocity 102.0" reasoning i guess you'd call it. despite having parachutes on every stage. it never gives me a reason as to why it failed so im at a loss here. i'd love to be able to use this mod but so far its not the "stage recovery" mod just the "your stage has sucessfully been destroyed : notification" mod lol. wich is upsetting cause i really wanted to use this for my career mode D: any thoughts on why this could be happening??? :c

Because of the very recent 1.0.1-2 Update of Kerbal Space Program.

If you read the mod creator's post a page back, he has already said he will look into this issue, but give him at least 48 hours after a new update of the game. Simple developer courtesy ;)

Hope this helps for info...

My bet is that if you open up the debug log (Alt-F2) when the stage gets deleted you'll see an error message from StageRecovery saying there was an error. I'll try to get this sorted out tonight, but I only have like 2 free hours in the next 16. If I can't get it fixed in that time, then tomorrow I will for sure.

Until then StageRecovery does not work for 1.0.1 If we're lucky it will work again when RealChutes updates, just not for Stock chutes.

I will echo this, it seems the 1.0.1 Update, which has tweaked parachutes, has now "disabled" parachutes for SR.

The mod no longer seems to recognize parachutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you use powered recovery? Or other chutes than the Radial parachutes? The issue might be linked to Radial-mounted parachutes only?

I used one of the end cap chutes (whatever it's called, the Mk 16xl or something) on a booster, as typical. Launched, ejected the boosters at a bit over 10km and it didn't work, was ten times the normal terminal velocity. I thought that's odd...so I strapped four radial chutes on each booster in addition to the standard end cap one I used to use. If anything it hit the ground a little faster according to the update it gave :/ It's behaving like it's not taking the chutes into account. Before I'd have 10m/s t.v. if that, now it's 105m/s t.v.

- - - Updated - - -

Always wanted to get RealChutes but never got around to it. I will get that now and confirm that it corrects the issue.

As i said just 2 posts above, Squad have made some modifications to Parachutes, which most likely is the source of issue here. From the 1.0.1 change-log:

• Parachute heating/burning.
  • Added an option to clamp the lower bound of the deploy pressure of parachutes.
  • Adjusted parachutes to open at a slightly higher atmospheric pressure.
    As always, thank you for the good work on one of my only "can't ever do without" mods =P

- - - Updated - - -

I can confirm: Just added RealChutes and the exact same vessel no longer has any issues with recovery of stages. And now i can also enjoy RealChutes :sticktongue:

Ugh...I don't mind real chutes mechanics not that I ever really needed it (never had an issue with chutes tearing off), but for some reason I just hate the look of those pointy end cap chutes! I try to run with the least amount of plugins that I can. If I'm not using it I don't keep it. I'll I guess I'll have to wait for the fix :D

- - - Updated - - -

I was originally just guessing that, but when I looked at the Real Chute thread I also saw they were having issues. Likely what's happening is that RC parachutes work for SR's "recovered" stages but don't work on actual craft when actually deployed. A fun disconnect between calculation and reality, since SR just looks at RC's numbers.

Well they just dropped another update too, and it includes a tweak to the mk16's drag.

Just a heads up, I haven't gotten a working update yet and I won't likely have anymore time tonight to work on this, sorry :( Hopefully with the latest RealChute update things will work (I'm going to test that really quick). I'm not sure if they just removed the "fullyDeployedDrag" parameter in 1.0.1 by setting it to 0, but I have to transition the whole system over to an area based one and hope that the formula that RealChute uses is the same that Stock uses, as that will actually simplify a decent amount of code.

Edit: The latest RealChutes works fine on my system. I did a recompile for 1.0.2 with no code changes but still ran into issues with Stock chutes, so that should be the only difference between the released version of SR and what I just tested with, meaning RealChutes should still work fine for the released version.

Basically, if you want SR to work today, you'll need the latest RealChutes. If you are ok with waiting until tomorrow, I should have a working 1.0.2 version then.

Edited by magico13

Basically, if you want SR to work today, you'll need the latest RealChutes. If you are ok with waiting until tomorrow, I should have a working 1.0.2 version then.

Good to hear. Thanks for your hard work!

I just tried it out, but it remains the same for me. I'm using RC 1.3.2.2, which is the updated one.

I still get reports for the destroyed parts, but I still never received a message for the part that was suposed to be recovered.

Thanks for the hard work.

Just a heads up, I haven't gotten a working update yet and I won't likely have anymore time tonight to work on this, sorry :( Hopefully with the latest RealChute update things will work (I'm going to test that really quick). I'm not sure if they just removed the "fullyDeployedDrag" parameter in 1.0.1 by setting it to 0, but I have to transition the whole system over to an area based one and hope that the formula that RealChute uses is the same that Stock uses, as that will actually simplify a decent amount of code.

Edit: The latest RealChutes works fine on my system. I did a recompile for 1.0.2 with no code changes but still ran into issues with Stock chutes, so that should be the only difference between the released version of SR and what I just tested with, meaning RealChutes should still work fine for the released version.

wow. tomorrow? I would be ok with waiting for a week, thanks for keeping up this great mod!

does stage recovery work on solid thrusters? doesn't seem to in the 1.0 version, not sure if you've changed it though. stage recovery doesn't show recovery chances of any solid thruster parts even if they have parachutes

I'm not having luck with realchutes either. Getting after the "Adding funds" log message, I get an error "MissingMethodException: Method not found: ResearchAndDevelopment.SubmitScienceData"

Well that's very, very weird. I'm about to start working on getting this working again, so expect an update soonTM.

does stage recovery work on solid thrusters? doesn't seem to in the 1.0 version, not sure if you've changed it though. stage recovery doesn't show recovery chances of any solid thruster parts even if they have parachutes

StageRecovery was broken by the 1.0.1 (and 1.0.2) update, but I'm working on fixing it now.

Thanks for fixing!

Really find your mod is quite good and inspires better gameplay, planning to recover costs rather than just minimizing fuel consumption. I was about to post a bug report but you are on it. my text for that was:

Having an issue after 1.0.2. Im watching a solid rocket booster stage fall away with its chutes opening. In VAB SR reports expecting 6.9 m/s landing. I get the red wrecked message showing an impact speed of over 100 m/s. Flown a few times and definitely seeing the chutes open. This is the first stage coming off around 6,000 meters altitude.

Having an issue after 1.0.2. Im watching a solid rocket booster stage fall away with its chutes opening. In VAB SR reports expecting 6.9 m/s landing. I get the red wrecked message showing an impact speed of over 100 m/s. Flown a few times and definitely seeing the chutes open. This is the first stage coming off around 6,000 meters altitude.

That's the problem I'm working on fixing ;)

I'm not having luck with realchutes either. Getting after the "Adding funds" log message, I get an error "MissingMethodException: Method not found: ResearchAndDevelopment.SubmitScienceData"

I'm not having luck either. Only I don't get any Adding Funds log message or errors. It is properly detecting when stages should be destroyed, but even with the latest real chutes it seems to be not recognizing recoverable stages, not even sending a log message.

Well that's very, very weird. I'm about to start working on getting this working again, so expect an update soonTM.

StageRecovery was broken by the 1.0.1 (and 1.0.2) update, but I'm working on fixing it now.

Amazing! thats the word i would use to describe your mod.

Anyway, i cannot continue the career until mod is updated, That is by no means criticism. It's probably the biggest compliment i can give your mod.

Keep it up, patiently waiting for an update ^^

Have to agreed with this - it's such a good mod. Light feature, integrates into stock messaging system. So good. <3

+1

Had to register to show my support for this mod!

Well, I'm having a bit of trouble trying to come up with a simple, yet accurate, formula for determining the terminal velocity (who would have thought that aerodynamics are hard). Basically, I'm just testing a bunch of mass and parachute area combinations and fitting a formula to it. For some mass:area ratios it works really nicely (within 0.2 m/s or so), but for others its off by nearly 1 m/s (and is neither consistently high, nor consistently low). So I can't promise that what you see in flight is what SR will predict, but at least the editor calculator will be consistent with SR's predictions. Basically, if you use the editor calculator to try to figure out how fast something will actually land (like a reentry vessel), add a bit more parachute area just to be safe.