[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

So any news on updating this?

Other than JeffreyCor forgetting to actually include half the mod when testing the Beta, I've got a simple recompile up (for this and now KCT as well) in the development thread. I'm gonna do some testing myself as well, but I should have an update either tonight (if we're lucky) or tomorrow at the latest.

Edited by magico13
Meant to include link to dev thread.

Tested, the current 0.90 version didn't work with new release 1.00. It look like it work just fine but when i hit revert, it break the game. Back for economic mode where i will use mainly SRB. Still, awesome mod. Was having a blast with it when KSP still in beta.

Testing the update for 1.0 seems to be going well, but I don't have any more time tonight to do additional tests. I'd like to get some other feedback regarding the new changes and to make sure things are working properly, so if anyone would like to help out, please go to the development thread and play around with the update. Thanks!

Testing the update for 1.0 seems to be going well, but I don't have any more time tonight to do additional tests. I'd like to get some other feedback regarding the new changes and to make sure things are working properly, so if anyone would like to help out, please go to the development thread and play around with the update. Thanks!

If you didn't done update to 1.00 yet then i maybe able to help with bug/crash report. Should be easy since i can capture video while playing. Still, lot of RL stuff happen so i might not be able to participle. Thank you for your mod and hardwork : )

Question: isn't StageRecoveri kind of superseded in 1.0? Like, kinda became stock that debris doesn't disappear ar 2.5 km and can be recovered?

In 1.0 the limit was moved to 22.5km from 2.5 km, so if you're really, really careful you might be able to recover something if you drop it and deploy chutes at a really low altitude. But imagine dropping something at 10km when you're going 500 m/s. If you manage to not speed up anymore you'll leave the physics range of the ground after 20 seconds. But you will speed up (maybe to 1km/s) meaning you'll leave physics range within 15 seconds or less. There's no way you'll recover those parts (especially with chutes deployed), so StageRecovery is still needed.

Where the stock change excels is dropping things out of planes.

Edited by magico13

Well, I figure you all have waited long enough so here's the update for KSP 1.0! Not too much different, but there are some notable changes. The biggest ones are FMRS support and some tine-ins to the stock systems. As you upgrade the Tracking Station your distance rates will increase (level 0 TS has distance rates that fall off twice as fast as normal, level 1 has rates that are 4/3 as fast, and level 2 is normal). Additionally, powered recovery now requires a Pilot kerbal or a probe with SAS capabilities. Additionally, you can now disable the mod in the settings if you really want.

1.5.4 - (04/28/2015)

- Updated to KSP 1.0

- Tie into the stock upgrade system.

- Tracking Center upgrades improve distance based returns

- Pilot kerbals or probes with SAS are needed for powered recovery

- Added FMRS support. The two shouldn't try to recover the same things now and should play nicely together!

- Added colors in recovery messages

- A bit of Flight GUI rework to make it easier to use, take less screen space, and generally be better.

- Deadly Reentry support moved to use Stock system. Doesn't scale with Stock setting yet, but if Stock is set to 0% then SR won't burn things up.

What about a non-pilot and the avionics nose cone?

As long as there's SAS then it should work, and its only for powered recovery. No probes needed for parachute based recovery.

E: Actually, with the change to that in 1.0 I'll have to double check that that works.

Edited by magico13

1.5.4 - (04/28/2015)

- Deadly Reentry support moved to use Stock system. Doesn't scale with Stock setting yet, but if Stock is set to 0% then SR won't burn things up.

Hi Magico, thanks again for all the good work. Having been on the #12 Test build, i guess not much will have changed from that, and as such, i have to say the colours are really nice. One of the small changes to really appreciate imo.

Now i'll go back to my noobiness with the following question in relation to the above.

I play "normal" career, so i would guess my deadly reentry is Stock at 100%?

And after one of my main stages returning with parachutes was completely lost to re-entry i have a question as to how Stage Recovery works, basically:

-How do i save these parts from a re-entry destruction?

Is that possible? Can i fit a Heat Shield on one side (no parts "sticking out" behind it) and expect SR to take that into account and refund some of the cost? Is there another method to save these parts(giving them a really shallow angle of attack on reentry?) ?

I guess these would be lost in Stock anyway.... But any details on this would help :D

I've been having this issue too. Unsure how to save those stages, as no amount of parachute does it... Even though just manually deploying them and keeping focus as the stage falls will preserve it.

Now, I get that the whole high altitude parachute deal could be exploitive, I don't know. But if so, how would I save those stages?

It works the same way that it did for Deadly Reentry where there's an increasing chance of burning up as you go faster than the "DR Speed" setting (which by default is 2km/s). If you have a heatshield on the craft then you're safe up to 3km/s. The silly thing is that it doesn't actually matter where you put the heat shield, since I don't do a bunch of tests to make sure things are blocked by it.

I'll admit that I didn't rigorously test it since it worked fine prior to 1.0 with DR and I just had to change a few lines of code for it to work with the stock system instead, but it should work the same way.

So to save them either drop them with a lower speed so they don't go above 2km/s, or fit a heatshield. Or turn off the DR Speed setting by setting it way up or to 0 :P

OK. Obviously, I can't drop ascent stages slower.... Would deploying the parachutes at separation help?

I didn't us DR before, so I must confess ignorance to how it worked in that case.

I'll try heat shields, or failing that just change to DR speed setting, though that isn't ideal as the parts shouldn't hit those speeds in the first place.

It works the same way that it did for Deadly Reentry where there's an increasing chance of burning up as you go faster than the "DR Speed" setting (which by default is 2km/s). If you have a heatshield on the craft then you're safe up to 3km/s. The silly thing is that it doesn't actually matter where you put the heat shield, since I don't do a bunch of tests to make sure things are blocked by it.

I'll admit that I didn't rigorously test it since it worked fine prior to 1.0 with DR and I just had to change a few lines of code for it to work with the stock system instead, but it should work the same way.

So to save them either drop them with a lower speed so they don't go above 2km/s, or fit a heatshield. Or turn off the DR Speed setting by setting it way up or to 0 :P

Ah perfect! Thanks for the info, i simply never used DR before it was "forced upon me" in 1.0. Stock V Mods compatibility meant i picked only a bunch and DR was not "crucial".

3km/s with heatshield and 2km/s without seems ideal, especially in a SR situation (not much more is needed, otherwise you would be in direct control of the Ship).

It might need to be turned up a bit by default since the stock heating isn't too dangerous and SR seems to overestimate. I might try setting it to 2250 m/s and seeing how it goes from there. Part of the issue is that once the ship leaves physics range (which is now 22.5km) it no longer has drag acting on it, so the reported speeds at actual deletion are higher than they should be (gravity still speeds them up, but the atmosphere doesn't slow them down at all). With Deadly Reentry the settings were about right, giving generally less than a 50% chance of a stage burning up if dropped from suborbital speeds.

Mostly it's supposed to prevent you from slamming things into the atmosphere at Mun return velocities to try to get around reentry heating (since SR will recover the parts, science, and Kerbals).

Oh, by default it's 2% chance of burning up per 10 m/s over the limit in the settings. With a heatshield, it removes a percent equal to the remaining heatshield ablator (so if it's unused, 100%). So at 3kms, normally it's 100% chance but the heatshield reduces that to 0%. At 2.5km/s there's a 50% chance, but a heatshield reduces that to -50% (which is just 0%). At 4km/s there's a 200% chance of burning up, and a heatshield reduces that to 100% (so, you're still screwed)

Edited by magico13

I'm having a problem that about 50% of the time my dropped stages are saying that they were destroyed despite having parachutes and saying they would be fine in the VAB, in the info window telling me they are destroyed it doesn't mention the existence of the parachute on the stages, don't know if this is a glitch or something I'm doing wrong? strange because doign the exact same thing works some of the time, and they are only being dropped from about 10km

It might need to be turned up a bit by default since the stock heating isn't too dangerous and SR seems to overestimate. I might try setting it to 2250 m/s and seeing how it goes from there. Part of the issue is that once the ship leaves physics range (which is now 22.5km) it no longer has drag acting on it, so the reported speeds at actual deletion are higher than they should be (gravity still speeds them up, but the atmosphere doesn't slow them down at all). With Deadly Reentry the settings were about right, giving generally less than a 50% chance of a stage burning up if dropped from suborbital speeds.

That acceleration without drag really is an issue, at first I thought it could be something to do with stages still being loaded in the physics range. I didn't test this it yet though.

Btw, the heating effects are pretty dangerous indeed, I had pretty tense time trying to get down a small craft without shielding from low orbit, had to keep the engine pointed as shield and even do a powered brake or things would blow up.

One probe core even blew up on ascent just out of pressure heating.

I'm having a problem that about 50% of the time my dropped stages are saying that they were destroyed despite having parachutes and saying they would be fine in the VAB, in the info window telling me they are destroyed it doesn't mention the existence of the parachute on the stages, don't know if this is a glitch or something I'm doing wrong? strange because doign the exact same thing works some of the time, and they are only being dropped from about 10km

Very strange... It's possible that they're hitting the ground before they leave physics range. You could try deploying the parachutes when you decouple the stages. Alternatively, if you are deploying the parachutes I would try not deploying the parachutes when you decouple.

Very strange... It's possible that they're hitting the ground before they leave physics range. You could try deploying the parachutes when you decouple the stages. Alternatively, if you are deploying the parachutes I would try not deploying the parachutes when you decouple.

thanks for the amazingly quick reply! I wasn't deploying them when I decoupled but I will try that now and report back with whether it solves the problem :)

EDIT: Ok so using parachutes was a bad idea, it was two radially attached stages and as soon as the parachutes deployed they just swung together and exploded...

on the plus side, it was a pretty cool explosion

EDIT (again): ahah! one of them apparently survived so must have not been completely splatted.

Edited by Squiggsy