[1.1] RLA Stockalike 13.4 [25 Apr]

hoojiwana

From previous experience, that could be due to targeting ModuleEnginesFX instead of ModuleEngines or vice versa. Could be wrong, but that seems to what breaks HotRockets occasionally.
It's likely what ObsessedWithKSP said. It might be a mismatch between engine IDs though, I can't remember from my experiments with the Cutter FX.

It actually turned out to be something even simpler... I forgot to tell the engine module to assign the effect to the throttle. :confused: Can you tell yet that I am blindly flailing my way through this? :D

Almost done though, almost... just need to make sure it doesn't conflict with Hotrockets, because we've had that problem with Near Future in the past...

tooltip of Spinnaker engine says 30 max thrust, but it is 100

I'm looking at a fresh RLA download right here and out of the box the Spinnaker has 30 kN thrust set in its config file.

Do you have any rebalance packs installed that change the stats of engines?

Alright, here we go:

@PART[RLA_ion]:FOR[RLA_Stockalike]:NEEDS[NearFuturePropulsion,RLA_Stockalike]
{
@rescaleFactor = 0.8
@description = A tiny engine with tiny thrust and tiny power requirements, best suited for tiny probes and satellites. Having such a low amount of thrust may seem a turn off at first, but the incredibly high efficiency is generally considered a fair trade-off.
@mass = 0.14
@MODULE[ModuleEngines]
{
@name = ModuleEnginesFX
@maxThrust = 0.7
@PROPELLANT[ElectricCharge]
{
@ratio = 10.065
}
@PROPELLANT[XenonGas]
{
!resourceFlowMode = DELETE
}
@atmosphereCurve
{
@key = 0 4720
}
}
MODULE
{
name = ElectricEngineThrustLimiter
EnergyUsage = 7.6
minThrust = 0.001
minPressure = 1.0
}
}

@PART[RLA_ion]:AFTER[RLA_Stockalike]:NEEDS[NearFuturePropulsion,RLA_Stockalike,!MP_Nazari]
{
EFFECTS
{
engage
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = NearFuturePropulsion/Sounds/IonXenonOn
volume = 1.0
pitch = 1.0
loop = false
}
}
flameout
{
PREFAB_PARTICLE
{
prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2
transformName = thrustTransform
oneShot = true
}
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = NearFuturePropulsion/Sounds/GenericFlameout
volume = 1.0
pitch = 1.0
loop = false
}
}
exhaust
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = NearFuturePropulsion/Sounds/IonXenonLoop01
volume = 0.0 0.0
volume = 0.01 0.1
volume = 0.5 0.2
volume = 1.0 0.4
pitch = 0.0 0.6
pitch = 0.5 0.7
pitch = 1.0 1.0
loop = true
}
MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
{
modelName = NearFuturePropulsion/FX/ds4gplume
transformName = thrustTransform

emission = 0.0 0.0

emission = 0.075 0.25
emission = 1.0 1.0

speed = 0.0 0.35

speed = 1.0 1.0
}
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
{
directThrottleEffectName = exhaust
}
}

@PART[RLA_resistojet]:FOR[RLA_Stockalike]:NEEDS[NearFuturePropulsion,RLA_Stockalike]
{
@description = An electrically powered heating element creates thrust through thermal expansion of propellant. Due to the simplicity of the thruster, it can be used with both monopropellant and liquid hydrogen. Also makes a fine if expensive kettle, although drinking heated propellants is not advised.
@mass = 0.21
@MODULE[MultiModeEngine]
{
@secondaryEngineID = Hydrogen
}
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],0
{
@maxThrust = 5.0
{
@ratio = 6.378
}
@atmosphereCurve
{
@key = 0 820
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],1
{
@engineID = Hydrogen
@maxThrust = 2.9
{
@ratio = 21.189
}
!PROPELLANT[XenonGas] {}
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidHydrogen
ratio = 1.0
DrawGauge = True
}
@atmosphereCurve
{
@key = 0 1580
}
}
MODULE
{
TargetEngine = Monopropellant
EnergyUsage = 9.9
minThrust = 1.9
minPressure = 1.0
}
MODULE
{
TargetEngine = Hydrogen
EnergyUsage = 9.9
minThrust = 0.75
minPressure = 1.0
}
}

@PART[RLA_arcjet]:FOR[RLA_Stockalike]:NEEDS[NearFuturePropulsion,RLA_Stockalike]
{
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],0
{
@maxThrust = 3.1
{
@ratio = 25.8655
}
@atmosphereCurve
{
@key = 0 1370
}
}
@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],1
{
@maxThrust = 1.8
{
@ratio = 12.8275
}
@atmosphereCurve
{
@key = 0 2630
}
}
MODULE
{
TargetEngine = Monopropellant
EnergyUsage = 14.9
minThrust = 0.8
minPressure = 1.0
}
MODULE
{
TargetEngine = Xenon
EnergyUsage = 14.9
minThrust = 0.001
minPressure = 1.0
}
}

- All patches only trigger if Near Future Propulsion and RLA Stockalike are installed together

- Requires Near Future Propulsion 4.0+ and KSP 0.90+

ION Type 2:

- Adjusted to match Near Future's balance paradigm as a tier 1 engine

- Atmospheric thrust limiter

- Rescaled to 0.5m size

- Secondary patch that adds sound and visual effects for activation, exhaust and flameout

- Secondary patch disables itself if Hotrockets is detected, to avoid a potential conflict

Resistojet:

- Secondary mode changed to LiquidHydrogen

- Individual atmospheric thrust limiters for primary and secondary modes

- As a thermal rocket, it still retains a bit of thrust in atmosphere (a bit more than a quarter, like the LV-N)

Arcjet:

- Individual atmospheric thrust limiters for primary and secondary modes

- Monopropellant mode remains partially working in atmosphere, Xenon mode doesn't

Please test this!!! It worked for me, but if I learned one thing about computers, that doesn't have to mean anything at all... :P

hoojiwana: If it ends up working properly, feel free to link to this or even ship it with RLA.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, Hoojwana, what happened to those probe cores you were working on? I remember you saying something about releasing them for 0.90, but they never were.....

I would like to second that question, there really nice looking and I would love some new probes.

Suggestion - the first 2 sentences of the original post should explain what the mod is in 30 words or less.

Suggestion #2 - the original post should have a list of the parts with brief explanations.

Still not sure what "RLA" stands for...

Response to suggestion #1-

Information

Part pack to fill in a whole bunch of gaps in the part selection, and all in the stock artstyle. Includes a full set 0.625m tanks and engines, a-

The bolded part is all you need to know.

Response to suggestion #2- how would you rather he spend is time? make mods, fix bugs, play kerbal etc... or prepare a detailed infographic of all the parts in this ever changing mod for the convenience of those who don't want to simply download it, read the part.cfg's, and check out the parts in game?

and finally...

AGENT

{

name = Roemy-Lemdum Atomics

description = The enigmatic duo of Roemy and Lemdun came together one night in a small Probodobodyne lab, where the pair invented a blindingly luminous lamp. Following an incident where Roemy REDACTED one of the upper-executives in the company, the duo left to make their own way and RLA was born.

logoURL = RLA_Stockalike/Agencies/RLA

logoScaledURL = RLA_Stockalike/Agencies/RLA_scaled

standing = Probodobodyne Inc, 0.2

mentality = Stern 0.2

mentality = Hasty 0.8

mentality = Perfectionist

}

Hey, Hoojwana, what happened to those probe cores you were working on? I remember you saying something about releasing them for 0.90, but they never were.....
I would like to second that question, there really nice looking and I would love some new probes.
Probe parts update when.

You guys want those probes parts don't you! Once AB Launchers has a full release, the plan is to tweak the Stockalike Monopropellant balance, and then to get back to the probe parts.

Alright, here we go:

- All patches only trigger if Near Future Propulsion and RLA Stockalike are installed together

- Requires Near Future Propulsion 4.0+ and KSP 0.90+

hoojiwana: If it ends up working properly, feel free to link to this or even ship it with RLA.

Very nice! When the OP gets updated I'll drop a link to this in there.

Suggestion - the first 2 sentences of the original post should explain what the mod is in 30 words or less.

Suggestion #2 - the original post should have a list of the parts with brief explanations.

The OP does both of these already.

Hey hooj, how can I make the MPR-45 Monopropellant Engine TweakScale up to 1.875? I'd like to make it a viable OMS for Tantares 1.875m parts.

Try this config. Just drop it in the "mp_m_vac" folder in Stockalike. I scaled up the thrust, mass and costs as well, the FX doesn't scale by itself so looks a bit small. Let me know how it goes!

My main complaint is that the tooltip for the mod in the thread window is mostly blank space. Hence, my suggestion that you improve the intro text at the very start of the post to give a brief overview of the mod.

See that's a better complaint since it's actually valid. The problem isn't the actual text in the OP, it's the way the forum handles the preview tooltip. Take a look at the BBcode for the OP (by quoting it, don't actually repost it!) and you'll see why the forum might be getting confused. I'll try some alternative layouts out, thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Did a quick swap of the imgur album and text in the first section of the OP, seems to have fixed it!

Edited by hoojiwana

Try this config. Just drop it in the "mp_m_vac" folder in Stockalike. I scaled up the thrust, mass and costs as well, the FX doesn't scale by itself so looks a bit small. Let me know how it goes!

d7L0zRI.png

It's beautiful! You've gotta talk to Beale about making some 1.875 orbital engines. I'm really liking the 1.875 diameter parts you guys have done between AB and Tantares. It's much less drastic than going between 2.5 and 1.25. How do I learn how to make TweakScale .configs? I've got some other crazy ideas...

You guys want those probes parts don't you! Once AB Launchers has a full release, the plan is to tweak the Stockalike Monopropellant balance, and then to get back to the probe parts.

Considering stock itself gets a complete rebalance in 1.0, you might want to postpone your own rebalancing plans until after that drops ;)

It's beautiful! You've gotta talk to Beale about making some 1.875 orbital engines. I'm really liking the 1.875 diameter parts you guys have done between AB and Tantares. It's much less drastic than going between 2.5 and 1.25. How do I learn how to make TweakScale .configs? I've got some other crazy ideas...

The AB Launchers parts are all either 5m or 2.5m, any 1.875m are Tantares. The config I gave you wasn't a Tweakscale config but rather a normal part config using rescaleFactor and slightly adjusted numbers.

Considering stock itself gets a complete rebalance in 1.0, you might want to postpone your own rebalancing plans until after that drops ;)

We don't know how far away that is, but the assumption is it's a lot further than the short period of time it'll take me to knock together a few tweaked values to match the 0.90 monopropellant tanks.

For 1.0 the whole lot will need to be rebalanced as you said, but when that happens I'm considering splitting the pack and having RLA Stockalike Expanded or something, since there are parts right now that don't particularly fill any niche such as the Type-2 Ion, Arcjet, and Cormorant. It'll also provide a nice place to put some other random bits and bobs I'd like to make, and with the ever decreasing amount of RAM available to people smaller more focused packs seem the way to go.

For some reason some of the textures for engines and tanks (the MPR-1 and MPR-1R along with the Stratus-V tank) turn completely black after a second loading of the game with ATM. The first load (where ATM creates it's texture cache) has all textures perfect but restarting KSP afterwards results in a number of missing textures.

Attempts to get ATM to ignore the RLA folder entirely have so far failed so I'm hoping someone has an idea I've missed.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been using RLA stockalike since.. probably 18 months now? It's always been a lot of fun to build things using these parts, a big Thank You for that :)

Since you were asking for pictures, a small album with two very basic designs I have been using extensively in my recent hard-mode, RT2 + KCT game, where the budget early on is very tight, so there is a high need for cheap and quick to build rockets. The probecore is the good old Nano-BOMP, antennas from stock and RemoteTech-2, and RLA Stockalike for the "drive" section and core structure. The need to place all those antennas and solar power (for RemoteTech-2) is also the reason why I didn't use FL-R10 + MPR-5 for these satellites as I have done in my other 0.90 save. (And just in case you are giving these a ride, be advised, MechJebs attitude control doesn't deal too well with satellites below 400kg, much less when they get below 200kg; switch over to the fallback stock attitude control.)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

• 3 weeks later...
I am having the weirdest problem with this mod. Even without any overheat the parts are exploding, not the engines themselves, but whatever is ontop of it explodes!
Pricing took a little while to figure out, but it's great to hear it's working out for you!

Some of the engines run a little hot (like the Spinnaker) so if you cluster them on something you might get some heat problems. Could you post a quick screenshot of the problem? What other mods are you running?

I noticed this same problem - in one case, I ran a Mk 1 pod on top of a single Boostertron I. After about 15 seconds (1500 meters), the rocket had heated up to ~2,500 degrees, causing the Mk1 pod to explode. Although I have deadly reentry installed, the pod never experienced heating from speed, as it was only traveling ~220 m/s when it exploded.

Further testing shows that the Mk1 pod (with DR installed) absorbs heat much more rapidly than, say a structural truss.

I guess that this one's on me. Still, perhaps a warning that the part runs hot in the description is in order?

I guess that this one's on me. Still, perhaps a warning that the part runs hot in the description is in order?

Waiting to see how the new heat system works in 1.0 before I do anything like that. Things may change drastically, so it's all a bit up in the air what may or may not end up happening.

Hoojiwana, what happened to the parts you were working on? Are you waiting for beta 1.0, or are you taking a break from this for a while?

The probes? Right now I'm busy with real life stuff so I don't have the desire to work on parts right now, which is also why I've been quiet on the forums recently. So put it under "taking a break". :)

I am still looking at splitting up Stockalike into two packs for 1.0 (or shortly after), though the probes will not be part of either of the packs that split produces.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.