[1.1] RLA Stockalike 13.4 [25 Apr]

hoojiwana

Hi, I've installed RLC Stockalike and I think i have a bug :

with external monopropellant tank (like startus V) the RLA monopropellant engine doesn't work because monopropellant tank is empty

dc18b353-a697-45c8-8815-3da7f077f1ce.jpg

click to enlarge

Hi, I've installed RLC Stockalike and I think i have a bug :

with external monopropellant tank (like startus V) the RLA monopropellant engine doesn't work because monopropellant tank is empty

Known issue: As per the OP (emphasis mine):

You should use the inline stackable tanks with the Monopropellant engines due to a fuel flow issue with the stock MonoPropellant resource, since the engines will not draw from the radial tanks. You can remedy this by adding surface attachment to the radial tanks with ModuleManager and then adding fuel lines, or use CrossFeedEnabler to change the fuel flow logic. Bear in the mind dV calculator plugins might not work well with CrossFeedEnabler and it may mess with expected fuel flow on normal craft, so beware. The easiest way to avoid the problem is simply to not use the radial tanks in conjunction with the engines.

The easiest way to avoid the problem is simply to not use the radial tanks in conjunction with the engines.

The slightly complicated way being using CrossFeed Enabler by NathanKell, and add his little module to the radial tanks you need. Works like a charm, I made myself a whole serie of Fregat-like stages with this, both mp and lfo (thx to your awesome parts and also KSPX).

Edited by Initar

• 2 weeks later...
Hoojiwana, I don't know if you've seen this, but this concept art for 5 metre parts was floating around for awhile a few months ago, however no one seems to have taken it up. 5 metre stockalike parts are a necessity. And--aside from being large, they fit perfectly with RLA's style.

I support this movement!

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity what's the balance logic behind putting the 1.25->.625 dual, triple, and quad adapters so late in the tree? of course this raises the question of why did squad make the construction branch of the tree so damn long and the ion and nuclear branches so short but regardless surely the time to make spinnaker based first stages is early game right? anything balance breaking about this train of thought?

Also in my latest bout of mod bingeing I found that the general construction node was a bit sparse...

Edited by passinglurker

• 2 weeks later...
So.......... Uhhhhhhh....... What's the latest?

Bad planning! Awful terrible planning with Probe Parts meant I lost direction with it and then things involving Warlords in some place called Draenor happened. I'm sorting out where to head with Probe Parts and tidying up those parts I've got made already, but there still won't be a release of it until I'm satisfied it can go out as a proper standalone part pack with a nice selection of parts. For when it is eventually ready to go, do people want it available in its own thread or placed in here alongside Stockalike? I'm not entirely sure what's better for going through feedback, but for you users looking for updates separate topics may be the way to go. What do you guys think? A thread per pack, or all in one location? How do you all go about checking for updates on mods?

I just started to play 0.25 and am glad that this mod has updated! These are up near the top on my "Most commonly used parts" list and I'd hate to play without them. One of the best things in this pack are the 45 degree RCS nozzles. I don't understand why they aren't in the base game to begin with. Keep up the great work!

I'm glad you like my parts! Fun fact, those angled RCS were the very first part made for Stockalike. The version out now has been retextured a few times but is still essentially the exact same model from nearly two years ago now.

Can you update the alternate models for the parts?

Those couple of parts should still function totally fine in sandbox, even in conjunction with the current Stockalike release though the folders may get a little confusing. If you mean update them for career, that's not something I'm doing, and if you mean updating the models, that's something I might do eventually sometime. The 0.625m tanks, Kingfisher, LV-T5 and LV-Nc are currently the oldest assets in the pack, in terms of being updated or revised, and I'd like to redo them to bring them up to par with the rest. The alternative models would be redone then if ever, but it's not high on my priorities right now since those parts are just about good enough.

Woohoo, update! Thanks for continuing to be the best mock-stock modeler this side of Claira, can't wait to use these.

Clairas parts are fantastic and part of the reason I got into doing what I do in the first place. It's a shame she stopped working on the game but as I understand it she put her education first and that's fair enough!

That honestly looks like a MUCH larger rocket.

I do love how much the small parts throw off a persons sense of scale in game. Hopefully this'll continue with future releases!

Them new effects... I wish to stamp your forehead with my stamp of approval! :cool:

I'm incredibly pleased with how well the SRB FX came out, the particle I made looks so fitting for rough burning solid fuel.

Stock like parts are where it's at for me! Thanks!

Check out Taurus HCV and Tantares if you haven't already and want some more!

Hoojiwana, I don't know if you've seen this, but this concept art for 5 metre parts was floating around for awhile a few months ago, however no one seems to have taken it up. 5 metre stockalike parts are a necessity. And--aside from being large, they fit perfectly with RLA's style.
I support this movement!

I'm not sold on those particular designs but I've seen the interest in the idea. Honestly it surprises me what with KW rocketry being around, and to some extent Novapunch.

Your monoprop engines are just don't want to give up to the high temperatures :D

(w. Deadly Reentry)

Not entirely sure why those are doing that, they've got the exact same maximum temperature as other engines, and I think other engines burn up. Any other DR users want to clue me in on why this might be happening?

Out of curiosity what's the balance logic behind putting the 1.25->.625 dual, triple, and quad adapters so late in the tree? of course this raises the question of why did squad make the construction branch of the tree so damn long and the ion and nuclear branches so short but regardless surely the time to make spinnaker based first stages is early game right? anything balance breaking about this train of thought?

Also in my latest bout of mod bingeing I found that the general construction node was a bit sparse...

They're in there since that's where the stock ones are, but I do agree with you they might be better earlier. Depending on how the editor changes work out in 0.90 I might not need to fix this at all, hopefully I'll be able to remove the parts entirely, though that'll mean some texture fiddling. You can use the small tanks to make clusters with a bit of rotating since those are surface attachable in the mean time though.

Bug report:

In your agents.cfg file, you spelled an instance of "mentality" wrong. Unsure how this affects the generation of contracts for that agency; I just thought I'd mention it.

Noted! Hopefully that doesn't cause a problem since I haven't noticed CTCE contracts not being generated.

Edited by hoojiwana

Hi!

just dropping by to answer:

A thread per pack, or all in one location? How do you all go about checking for updates on mods?

1. A thread per pack would be nice to have, I think it's better for searching via Google and quick "whats new in mod xyz?" peeks to the forum

2. I like AVC-support, I'm koind of lazy in updating my mods

Hope that helps,

Regards

Edited by E.Nygma

Bad planning! Awful terrible planning with Probe Parts meant I lost direction with it and then things involving Warlords in some place called Draenor happened. I'm sorting out where to head with Probe Parts and tidying up those parts I've got made already, but there still won't be a release of it until I'm satisfied it can go out as a proper standalone part pack with a nice selection of parts. For when it is eventually ready to go, do people want it available in its own thread or placed in here alongside Stockalike? I'm not entirely sure what's better for going through feedback, but for you users looking for updates separate topics may be the way to go. What do you guys think? A thread per pack, or all in one location? How do you all go about checking for updates on mods?

I personally just visit each developer's release thread and see what the latest is. I wouldn't mind at all if they were even both included in the same download, since I will automatically download everything here, but if you're set on making separate packs, I think the way Nertea has divvied up NFT within one thread is a good model.

I am actually working on this, but in the meantime NecroBones' SpaceY pack fills this niche.

If the mod is listed on Kerbalstuff Iuse there email system to monitor mod changes otherwise I monitor forum

Ah I forgot that KerbalStuff did that. I suppose those subscribed over on KS wouldn't need to worry about whatever topics I set up over here.

Hi!

just dropping by to answer:

1. A thread per pack would be nice to have, I think it's better for searching via Google and quick "whats new in mod xyz?" peeks to the forum

2. I like AVC-support, I'm koind of lazy in updating my mods

Hope that helps,

Regards

I think AVC is pretty much just a plugin thing, though there is that new CKAN project that might be more applicable for part packs. The googleabilty (is that a word?) of each pack might be a pretty big deal but since those hits seem to end up going to KerbalStuff anyway it might not be such an issue for forum topics. Thanks for the input!

I personally just visit each developer's release thread and see what the latest is. I wouldn't mind at all if they were even both included in the same download, since I will automatically download everything here, but if you're set on making separate packs, I think the way Nertea has divvied up NFT within one thread is a good model.

Yeah I'm not going to be bundling anything with Stockalike and instead aiming for more focused packs with very defined goals. That way people can better pick and choose what they want, which I feel is extremely important given the major issues with memory the game has.

Well,

the googleability (I love that one :) ) is an issue for lazy people ;) and usually the forum thread is like number one or two on the hit list in my experience...

Regards

Certainly food for thought, though I'm no nearer to deciding on what to do!

There's something I've wanted for ages now that I think would fit perfectly with this pack: Ion powered RCS. Someone did try it back in 0.20, but it just used stock models.

Bipropellant RCS in stock is still not yet possible without a plugin, and Stockalike is just a part pack afterall. When the stock RCS module works with multi-nozzle bipropellant, then I'll add Xenon/EC RCS which I've wanted to do since I think before Stockalike even existed.

Bipropellant RCS in stock is still not yet possible without a plugin, and Stockalike is just a part pack afterall. When the stock RCS module works with multi-nozzle bipropellant, then I'll add Xenon/EC RCS which I've wanted to do since I think before Stockalike even existed.

Unless I misunderstand you, surely the Vernor engine does this already :

[I]From vernorEngine.cfg[/I]

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRCS
thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster
thrusterPower = 12
resourceName = LiquidFuel
resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 0.9
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Oxidizer
ratio = 1.1
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 260
key = 1 140
}
}

Could you not just change LiquidFuel and Oxidizer to ElectricCharge and XenonGas respectively, and then tweak the ratios and power obviously.

Unless I misunderstand you, surely the Vernor engine does this already

Emphasis mine.

Bi propellant stock RCS works fine if it's just in one direction, like the Vernors. I don't know if ModuleRCSFX fixes this, would certainly be a great addition to it if it doesn't.

Unless I misunderstand you, surely the Vernor engine does this already :

[I]From vernorEngine.cfg[/I]

MODULE
{
name = ModuleRCS
thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster
thrusterPower = 12
resourceName = LiquidFuel
PROPELLANT
{
name = LiquidFuel
ratio = 0.9
DrawGauge = True
}
PROPELLANT
{
name = Oxidizer
ratio = 1.1
}
atmosphereCurve
{
key = 0 260
key = 1 140
}
}

Could you not just change LiquidFuel and Oxidizer to ElectricCharge and XenonGas respectively, and then tweak the ratios and power obviously.

He said multinozzel not just linear rcs ports.

He said multinozzel not just linear rcs ports.
Emphasis mine.

Bi propellant stock RCS works fine if it's just in one direction, like the Vernors. I don't know if ModuleRCSFX fixes this, would certainly be a great addition to it if it doesn't.

Yep just discovered this with some quick tests. The multinozzle block properly drains resources with use, but only actually thrusts in one direction :(. Still....can we get some pretty RLA models for linear ION RCS?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.