[1.2.2] 10x Kerbol system development for Kopernicus: Version 6.3.0.1 - Update: April 14 2017

jsimmons

That is good news. That means we can add height maps to Ike and Minmus. Only thing now it is a guessing game to what values to pick to match stock as close as possible yet make it interesting.

Nathan suggested a few posts back, multiplying the deformity values by 10 and dividing the frequency values by the same amount. I did have some luck with that for Kerbin but had to stop so that I could re-focus work on Deadly Reentry work. (and decided testing new features needed to start on stock Kerbin, so no RSS for me for awhile at all :( so lets all pity Starwaster and shed tears and stuff. Or point and laugh at him, your choice)

But...they don't have heightmaps stock. You shouldn't need one to match, just increase the deformity and decrease the frequency of the procedural PQSMods and you should get exactly the same planet, just 10x bigger.

Aaaand once again I fail to see there's a "next page". Pity pity ninjawaster.

But...they don't have heightmaps stock. You shouldn't need one to match, just increase the deformity and decrease the frequency of the procedural PQSMods and you should get exactly the same planet, just 10x bigger.

Aaaand once again I fail to see there's a "next page". Pity pity ninjawaster.

Ninjawaster strikes again!

While you guys sort that out, I have two polish issues that perhaps can be fixed?

1: When going from launch site to launch site, the facilities are rotated. Intended so far I think, but if you then go back to KSC main or other launch sites, they can be rotated from their original positions. Last time I played KSC was rotated 180 degrees from its normal orientation.

2: When landing in water or on terrain, the height of the visuals don't match the height of the physics. This leads to spacecraft floating in the air over terrain or under ground. Easiest way to observe this is make a space plane that is just a capsule and launch. It will be submerged into the runway.

Ugh. Okay I have this for Gilly and its still a ball. This is what I have.

PQS
{
Gilly
{
maxLevel = 14
maxQuadLenghtsPerFrame = 0.001

// Multiple deformity by 10
// Divide frequency by 10
PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute
{
deformity = 80000
frequency = 0.05
}
PQSMod_VertexHeightNoise
{
deformity = 1500
frequency = 0.4
}
}
}

Leszek: So the initial orientation of the launch sites are correct but when you leave and go back they change their rotation. Is it always a rotation amount the same for all sites or is it different? By what amount does it rotate, 180?

As for falling in the terrain is that for all sites or just some. It might be a launch site misconfiguration.

I don't know what rotation they are supposed to be, unless they are all supposed to have an east west runway. KSC rotated 180 the last time I tried it. I tried going back and forth to rotate it again but I wasn't successful. I will do some testing and see if I can nail down the minimum steps needed to reproduce the issue.

The falling is an issue with scaled planets. Hmm ok, but it isn't just for planes, if you land in the water for example, it can be hard to eva and do your science. He is often shown as flying. I mentioned the planes because that is the quickest and easiest way to reproduce the issue.

After a quick check I can see that they are not always rotated to the same angle. The first and fourth screenshot shows this. All I had to do is move around. I wasn't going to put up the night shots but shot 1 and 4 show the movement of the KSC. You should still be able to see just fine.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3iw39o77a10yrk6/AAAp6nejjiq-d_RBoIrFcXjga?dl=0

Nathan has anyone reported rotation launch site?

Starwaster: I tried your height map to see the impact to the launch sites I have. Only the KSC and the high mountain site changed. The KSC looks like stock and I will have to rework the high altitude site. The high altitude site does look better :D. The KSC2 site looked like a canyon so I'm happy with that. I will have to do so flying around to see how it looks. Thanks for that work.

Ugh, been playing with Minmus. Minmus uses PQSMod_VertexPlanet instead of a heightmap. I got a nice looking Minmus just by editing that in KittopiaSpace but RSS doesn't support PQSMod_VertexPlanet

At a bare minimum if we want a nice Minmus we need to add PQSMod_VertexHeightMap, LandControl sections for color.... some of the other vertex modifiers for fine tuning it. Maybe an exported color map and normal map for scaled space.

Or add PQSMod_VertexPlanet. (two approaches, tweak VertexPlanet to scale the cliffs or flatten them all completely and add VertexHeightMap with its order before VertexPlanet which will then be used to only handle color. I've tried both approaches and got good results, but again it hinges on VertexPlanet)

Did a release to RSS 8.2.1 to acquire some fixes. I see Gilly is going to take more work than I thought. Also I think people would be far more interested in having proper terrain on Kerbin. I will playing with for this week. I will try out the sinking issues to see if some launch pad settings might address. As for the rotating sites that is most likely a RSS bug.

Here's some values I've tried for Gilly: Not perfect but getting there

PQSMod_VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute
{
deformity = 800
octaves = 10
persistence = 1
frequency = 0.20
}
PQSMod_VertexHeightNoise
{
deformity = 15000
frequency = 1
lacunarity = 2.5
persistance = 0.5
octaves = 6
}

PQS
{
Minmus
{
maxLevel = 14
maxQuadLenghtsPerFrame = 0.001
PQSMod_VertexPlanet
{
seed = 23123
deformity = 0 // 5000
colorDeformity = 7000 // 6000
oceanLevel = 0
oceanStep = 0
oceanDepth = 0
oceanSnap = False
terrainSmoothing = 0.01
terrainShapeStart = 5
terrainShapeEnd = -5
terrainRidgesMin = 0.4
terrainRidgesMax = 0.5
buildHeightColors = False
terrainRidgeBalance = 0.25
order = 11 // Go after VertexHeightMap so we can apply color by altitude
}
Add
{
PQSMod_VertexHeightMap // doubles
{
heightMapOffset = 0.0
heightMapDeformity = 15000.0
scaleDeformityByRadius = false;
order = 10
heightMap = GameData/RealSolarSystem/Plugins/PluginData/Minmus2.png
}
}
}
}

Minmus needs this DLL to work (until Nathan rolls in my pull request)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ydnvp1fz6h9fsf9/RealSolarSystem.dll?dl=1

And this Minmus height map:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/datzypft09xbysq/Minmus2.png?dl=1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with adding extra launch sites to 10x kerbin using regex KSC switcher. Just for fun. I can post them here when I'm finished if anyone is interested, jsimmons?

Also if you have any particular wishes regarding locations let me know. This far I've been trying to add a few more equatorial launch sites, but also some on high latitudes and some where I hoped the surrounding landscape would look cool (though so far no luck with that).

Sorry I was away on a business trip for work but now I'm back. So I have been testing the new height map and adjust three of the launch sites. The island launch needs a bit more work. Most of the island is under water.

ThorBeorn: Yes I wil gladly try out new sites. Can you try it against my upcoming height map version. Additional sites would be great for testing and also seeing how nice it looks. You can grab my test version at http://www.infradead.org/~jsimmons/Eve-7.4-Heightmap.zip

• 2 weeks later...
Why does this not work in 64 bit mode, let me guess because everyone hates win64 mode. Is there a way to get this to work in win64?

It's RSS that doesn't work with 64 bit Windows version.

This is primarily just a set of configs that happens to have RSS bundled with it.

If you have any level of competency with C# then it's not a difficult thing to remove the 64 bit check and recompile.

Why does this not work in 64 bit mode, let me guess because everyone hates win64 mode. Is there a way to get this to work in win64?

No one hates win64 bit mode. I personally miss it greatly. But it is less stable than 32 bit and until the Unity engine is upgraded squad can't fix it. And neither can the modders who with there limited time cannot and do not want to spend time chasing down bugs that they can't do anything about.

I know this sucks but it isn't their fault. Nor is it squads fault. No point in getting angry, it is what it is.

cyberklad: I posted some delta-V values in a earlier post. No official delta-v map as of yet. With the transfer window

adins: Do you have the latest version of this mod? I thought this was fixed in the newest versions.

As a general note I have been working on the height maps for Kerbin. Finished the island launch site and now I'm fixing up the northern mountain launch site. I hope to have it ready by the end of this weekend.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.